Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Old 09-02-12, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by creekdipper
As I type this, I'm watching the segment with D'Souza. The introduction is still going on, and Maher has interruped D'Souza around 15 times (at last count) and just now did it again. The count would be higher, but at least once D'Souza had to say, "Wait a minute..." when Maher tried to cut him off and Maher stopped (that time).

In fairness, I think D'Souza interrupted Maher twice.

Right now Maher is interrupting Ron Christie (twice in 10 seconds). He's not interrupting Soledad O'Brien.

As far as "ripping D'Souza apart", D'Souza challenged Maher's statement that no Republican voted for Bill Clinton's tax bill, and all Maher could offer in response is "We'll fact-check that"?? Really? I thought that when one makes supremely confident allegations, he should have the evidence at hand. Isn't that what Maher was criticizing D'Souza for re: the author's claim that Obama is anti-colonialist?

Maher just cut off Christie again...and when Christie tried to rebut Maher, the host cut him off AGAIN and said "I'm the host of this show, and I'm f...ing bored."

I'm sure that this episode is just an aberration, and that this is the first time Maher has done anything remotely like this in this season, so I'll give you a pass instead of saying that you are just a delusional Maher fan who can't deal with reality.

I happen to think D'Souza is just going out on a limb and making wild speculations, but that doesn't mean that some of what he has to say is a credible argument against Obama.

As far as the 'hooting' goes, I call these loud yells like "Whoo-hoo" the same thing as hooting. I concede that no one actually made owl sounds. Yet the audience DOES (and is now) applaud and cheer wildly after every liberal statement (Maher, O'Brien, Alexander) while murmuring discontentedly, laughing mockingly (right now they're cheering Alexander's remark while Christie is trying to speak), or sitting stone-faced in dead silence. THIS is supposed to be a "balanced" approach to a political show?

Maher is right now interviewing an ex-Mormon (Kirn) and seemed surprised when the guy mentioned that the cult was started by a 14-year-old ("A 14-year-old?"). Maher does ONE show a week. Is it too much to expect that he would actually do some of his OWN research rather than just relying on his staff to hand him a folder an hour before the broadcast? Can't Maher access Wikipedia?

Interesting that Maher is trying so hard to stir up religious bigotry to hurt Romney's chances. And you believe that Maher isn't lying when he shrugs innocently and says, "I just think people would like to know what Mormons believe"? Really? So Maher plans to do a segment on Buddhism next week?

Note that Maher didn't touch the testimonials from all of the people who spoke for all of Romney's kind acts (despite Alexander's assertion that none of Romney's actions match up with the ideals of ANY religion? What would Alexander know about religion?). BTW...Kirn is much funnier than Maher with his dry wit that appears to be spontaneous as opposed to Maher's standard cut-downs.

Right now Maher is distorting what Romney said to make him appear to be anti-environment. It was obvious that Romney was comparing the grandiosity of Obama's promises (as if the worlds' problems would be changed) with a more modest proposal to help his countrymen to pay their bills. Too bad Christie took the bait and didn't correct Maher, and now the discussion is about global warming vs. reasonable expectations. O'Brien seems to know better and is steering the topic back to the economy.

"If you're not a businessman, why even live." Yep, that's a really fair assessment of the views of the majority of GOP voters.

The audience just hooted while Christie was talking, if you're keeping score. And now hooted and jeered again.

Maher is going down the MSNBC talking points one-by-one.

Well, I took the challenge to watch again for the first time this season. And Maher didn't disappoint.
You're going in with your mind already made up. he had an ax to grind with D'Souza. I believe if he had seen him in the street he'd punch him in the face. And as for stirring up religious bigotry, what about all that stuff about Obama's crazy pastor? When you put yourself in the limelight everything is up grabs and as much as republicans talk about putting God back in the white house you'd think they'd like to know more about Romney's religion. And as for the if your not a businessman why live was not what voters think but what Maher believes the politicians think.
Old 09-02-12, 07:30 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
You're going in with your mind already made up. he had an ax to grind with D'Souza. I believe if he had seen him in the street he'd punch him in the face. And as for stirring up religious bigotry, what about all that stuff about Obama's crazy pastor? When you put yourself in the limelight everything is up grabs and as much as republicans talk about putting God back in the white house you'd think they'd like to know more about Romney's religion. And as for the if your not a businessman why live was not what voters think but what Maher believes the politicians think.
Sigh.

My point was that, contrary to what a previous defender of Maher said, he DOES interrupt conservative guests (repeatedly), his unanimously liberal audience DOES jeer & hoot at conservatives (and wildly applaud nearly every liberal comment...except when they appear confused as to whether they're supposed to be agreeing on cue or disagreeing...leading to some hilarious moments), and Maher does change the topic when he starts losing the argument (or can't back up his own statements with facts).

Re: religious bigotry...no one was attacking Jeremiah Wright's denomination or religion. They were attacking his statements that they considered to be vulgar, anti-American sentiment (G-d--n American) and his implications that America got what it deserved with 9/11 ('the chickens have come home to roost"). Equating that with Maher's repeated attempts to slam Romney by mocking his religion is...well, let's not embarrass anyone further.

By the way, no one jeered Jason Alexander when he referenced George Orwell's classic "1985" (sic) while mocking the UNINFORMED voter. It was a classic "George" moment.

Anyway, it's not Maher's politics. It's his rudeness, unwillingness to let opponents talk, vulgar insults aimed at women, juvenile behavior, and self-admiration (even when his jokes fall flat).

Although it was funny to hear Maher complain about Clint Eastwood's "disgusting" RNC bit.
Old 09-02-12, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sigh.

My point was that, contrary to what a previous defender of Maher said, he DOES interrupt conservative guests (repeatedly), his unanimously liberal audience DOES jeer & hoot at conservatives (and wildly applaud nearly every liberal comment...except when they appear confused as to whether they're supposed to be agreeing on cue or disagreeing...leading to some hilarious moments), and Maher does change the topic when he starts losing the argument (or can't back up his own statements with facts).

Re: religious bigotry...no one was attacking Jeremiah Wright's denomination or religion. They were attacking his statements that they considered to be vulgar, anti-American sentiment (G-d--n American) and his implications that America got what it deserved with 9/11 ('the chickens have come home to roost"). Equating that with Maher's repeated attempts to slam Romney by mocking his religion is...well, let's not embarrass anyone further.

By the way, no one jeered Jason Alexander when he referenced George Orwell's classic "1985" (sic) while mocking the UNINFORMED voter. It was a classic "George" moment.

Anyway, it's not Maher's politics. It's his rudeness, unwillingness to let opponents talk, vulgar insults aimed at women, juvenile behavior, and self-admiration (even when his jokes fall flat).

Although it was funny to hear Maher complain about Clint Eastwood's "disgusting" RNC bit.
Even bigger sigh.
Old 09-02-12, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,119 Likes on 881 Posts

Sigh.

Maher interrupted quite a bit during the D'Souza segment I'll give you that. However I'm fairly certain that more had to do with the fact that they seem to have a pretty personal history, coupled with the fact that the things he was saying about Obama were pretty ridiculous.

He does interrupt people on the panel from time to time yes, but overall his show remains fairly civilized and the guests can at least have a decent discussion. I don't think you can do a show like this and not have some interjection between other commentator's remarks but I think for the most part his show tends to keep it under control a bit more than others do.

As for the audience I really don't understand your big beef. The show appeals more to liberals, I don't think that really surprises anyone so I'm not sure why you seem so dumbfounded by them rallying more behind the liberals on the show and disapproving of the more conservative comments. Plus for the most part they aren't out of control or anything, they boo or laugh at times, so what? Hell there was a clip from an old episode just last week of an audience member becoming unruly and Maher asking where the security was and said that he was going to have to kick the audience member out himself and proceeded to the crowd to have him thrown out. After which he remarked that the discussion is between him and the panel and the audience is there to observe.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-02-12 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-03-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was probably a conservative audience member. Lol. Get him out!
Old 09-03-12, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't wait to watch this when I get home. Why is interrupting guests a big deal when Fox News anchors do it daily?
Old 09-03-12, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,810 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I can't wait to watch this when I get home. Why is interrupting guests a big deal when Fox News anchors do it daily?
Because liberals owe conservatives more respect than conservatives owe liberals because they're the grown-ups.
Old 09-03-12, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought Maher made a good point about political discussion when he was talking about how he can't get many conservative guests on the panel and he said, paraphrasing that you can't have political debate when you can't even agree on any of the underlying facts
Old 09-03-12, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Frustrating that everything is about conservatives and liberals. Both are flawed, makes me wonder why there aren't more libertarians. I'm one and I watch this show or heck any news show and disagree with almost everything, or at least bits and pieces.
Old 09-03-12, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

As far as "ripping D'Souza apart", D'Souza challenged Maher's statement that no Republican voted for Bill Clinton's tax bill, and all Maher could offer in response is "We'll fact-check that"?? Really? I thought that when one makes supremely confident allegations, he should have the evidence at hand.
Were they talking about the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993? According to Wikipedia, it says that "ultimately every Republican in Congress voted against the bill."
Old 09-03-12, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,119 Likes on 881 Posts

Originally Posted by Shady12
Frustrating that everything is about conservatives and liberals. Both are flawed, makes me wonder why there aren't more libertarians. I'm one and I watch this show or heck any news show and disagree with almost everything, or at least bits and pieces.
Well ultimately like it or not conservatives and liberals are still the two largest parties around so there's going to be more discussions about them. I don't see that really changing anytime soon.
Old 09-03-12, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Well ultimately like it or not conservatives and liberals are still the two largest parties around so there's going to be more discussions about them. I don't see that really changing anytime soon.
Sadly you're correct, as I really wish a credible 3rd party could break this monopoly in our political system. I always want to vote for a 3rd party candidate, but I know I am wasting my vote, so I end up voting for the lesser of the 2 evils.

The sad thing about this election is we have a choice between: The republicans who got us into this mess, or the democrats who have made this mess worse!

What a choice!
Old 09-03-12, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Closest thing to a legit third party candidate with a different viewpoint was Ron Paul. He had to latch on with the Republicans just to be seen. Yeah two party crap is going nowhere for a long time.
Old 09-03-12, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, things are definitely worse than they were when Obama took office. The dow is around 3,000 and we're losing 1 million jobs a month. I sure long for the way things used to be at the end of Bush's term. Those were the days.
Old 09-04-12, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,164 Likes on 895 Posts

Sigh.

Reminds me of Bill O'Reilley.
Old 09-04-12, 01:14 AM

I'm not saying it's never happened, but I haven't seen Maher insult women. He's insulted Sarah Palin. He doesn't target her because she's a woman. Then again I don't know what his internal thought process is...
Old 09-04-12, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm not a huge fan of Bill Maher for various reasons. At times, despite being critical of the Democrats for not being liberal enough, he comes off as a cheerleader for them. I've only caught some episodes sporadically but it does seem like he has liberal guests outnumbering the conservatives during a show.

In regards to this episode, I think he did quite well with D'Souza. Maher brought up some excellent points. Piers Morgan on the other hand, when interviewing D'Souza just kept saying, "you're crazy! You don't really believe that do you?"
Maher brought up facts and Dinesh came off sounding like a politically biased kook.
Old 09-04-12, 04:36 AM

Piers Morgan is a buffoon. He asks stupid questions and constantly interrupts without letting people finish a sentence.
Old 09-04-12, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Yet Maher kisses Michael Moore's ass whenever he comes on to promote one of his biased films. Both Michael Moore and D'Souza's film are ridiculous and promote their agenda, and it just makes me laugh to hear partisans on both sides defend or trash these guys whenever their movies comes out.

I have liberal friends who love Michael Moores movies, and conservative friends who hate them. Yet those same conservative friends were fawning over D'Souza's movie. So typical of partisanship in todays politics, as I just laugh at both sides anymore as they are bunch of zombies who can't look at anything objectively.
Comparing the two is pretty funny. Sometimes, the self-proclaimed moderates are the funniest with their false equivalencies used to justify their lack of a stance on anything.
Old 09-04-12, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyway, it's not Maher's politics. It's his rudeness, unwillingness to let opponents talk
He put it very plainly on this last show. How can he have a discussion if they can't even agree on the FACTS. He puts out FACTS as a starting point an Ron Christie uses doublespeak to sidestep the fact and create spin. He can't help it, it's his paid profession.

vulgar insults aimed at women, juvenile behavior, and self-admiration (even when his jokes fall flat).
HE'S A COMEDIAN!!!
Old 09-04-12, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shady12
Libertarians are conservatives who don't buy into social conservatism. Or so they say. There are lots of hip new libertarians, many of which have no idea what real Libertarianism really is or what it means.
Old 09-04-12, 03:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't like or respect Bill Maher because he's a smug, condescending, unfairly biased, unreasonable asshole.

It's the very same reason why I don't like or respect Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity.
Old 09-04-12, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmmm, a sub par stand up comic and three news men. OK. That's a fair comparison.
Old 09-04-12, 03:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
Hmmm, a sub par stand up comic and three news men. OK. That's a fair comparison.
You honestly consider Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity to be legitimate newsmen/journalists?
Old 09-04-12, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,164 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
I don't like or respect Bill Maher because he's a smug, condescending, unfairly biased, unreasonable asshole.

It's the very same reason why I don't like or respect Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.