Reload this Page >

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Old 04-24-12, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Damn, going to have to tune in for Cupp. She's my favorite guest even though I agree with absolutely nothing she says. Something about the glasses.

I thought Bill bombed horribly last Friday. I don't usually think he's all that funny to begin with but his monologue was particularly bad this time around.
Old 04-24-12, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Cupp is a blathering idiot.

She claims to be an atheist, but supports everything the christian right wants. I'm not quite sure what she's getting at -- if she is, in fact, being honest -- that we need religion controlling politics in order to keep the stupid people who aren't as enlightened as she is in line?
She suffers from "Coulter Disease" - say anything to sell a book - so honesty is not her strong point.
Old 04-24-12, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Damn, going to have to tune in for Cupp. She's my favorite guest even though I agree with absolutely nothing she says. Something about the glasses.

I thought Bill bombed horribly last Friday. I don't usually think he's all that funny to begin with but his monologue was particularly bad this time around.
His writers put most of that together. But, even though I'm a fan, Maher has never had a very good delivery on stage.
Old 04-24-12, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
Right wing hottie = Oxymoron.

Total turn off.
I want to fuck the conservativeness out of Amy Holmes.
Old 04-25-12, 10:01 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Douthat not only took Maher's lunch & ate it, he also took Maher's leftover change.

Maher really doesn't like being challenged by facts. He either (1) quickly changes the subject to segue into something he has prepared in advance; (2) says "I think you're wrong; or (3) says he can't refute the argument immediately but then asserts that he will be able to refute it in the morning.

Anytime an atheist wanting to blame every war on religion has to resort to calling communism a "secular religion", you know he's internally waving the white flag. It's easy to blame every evil on "religion" if you want to change definitions to fit your preconceived notion. That would be like a Christian calling every other religion "atheists" because they believe in a different god. By that logic, 911 was carried out by a committed bunch of atheists. Religulous, indeed.

Hadn't watched Maher in a while until two weeks ago. Seems that he toned down his venom toward conservatives/'teabaggers'/religious nuts/nuts who take medicine, etc. Have to admit that he isn't nearly as much fun when he's actually listening without interrupting and attempting a rational, civil discussion. It's much more entertaining when he's blowing a gasket in the Limbaugh/Shultz/Obermann vein. However, I did learn more from his allowing the guests to make their points and act as moderator rather than manipulator. The useful idiot audience was more respectful than usual, too...made me suspect that the "cheer wildly" prompter was turned off during that episode.

Has he turned down the rhetoric more lately? Made me wonder if HBO had suggested that some of the name-calling might be held in check after the Limbaugh incident (and the corresponding comparisons to Maher from the right).

He was a little more like I remembered him in the Douthat episode (really lame opening monologue...wished the opening guest had been quick enough when Maher questioned where "all that s**t goes" to say, "Evidently, quite a bit goes to your writers, judging from your monologue").

I do think that any objective observer would find him pretty rude & condescending to the environmental guest. He made jokes at her expense, expressed amazement that she had ever held an office job, interrupted her to make jokes (more so than usual), and kept a steady stream of s**t jokes coming. It was obvious that she was uncomfortable & nervous, but Maher seemed to take advantage of her awkwardness to riff. Maybe he thought he was helping her out (I've seen other 'hosts' do the same...Letterman & Conan particularly) by being funny, but it seemed to make her retreat further into her shell (as though she wasn't sure if she was being the butt of the jokes). Anyway, the segment did get some information across, and Maher probably didn't perceive his comments as being disrespectful.

It was funny to watch Maher pull out the trusty standby Palin jokes to get the crowd back on his side. When he attempts "jokes" about tragedies such as the Martin case in Florida and falls flat, he quickly resorts to the standard chestnuts that will always get the desired response from liberals.

He also resorts to dishonesty, as usual. Saying that Santorum called Obama a snob because Obama thought school is a good thing was a slanderous comment (Santorum said that it was snobbish to assume that everybody in America needed to go to college to be successful...on its own, a distortion of the President's intent but true to the actual words, unlike Maher). The funny thing is that Maher (to my knowledge, since I'm not a weekly viewer) never called Obama hypocritical for suggesting that people go to college and then criticizing Romney for using the word "marvelous" (implying that Romney is an elitist snob for using such "big words"). I don't mind Maher's liberal views...it's the dishonesty he uses to try to sell those views.
Old 04-25-12, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Maher really doesn't like being challenged by facts. He either (1) quickly changes the subject to segue into something he has prepared in advance; (2) says "I think you're wrong; or (3) says he can't refute the argument immediately but then asserts that he will be able to refute it in the morning.
I think that has more to do with the fact that it's a TV show and, thus, is on a schedule. He can't spend the whole hour on one topic, and he doesn't necessarily have all the information right at his fingertips. Topics frequently get revisited on the show, so it's not a big deal. Unless you only watch one episode a year and write a huge rant about it.

Anytime an atheist wanting to blame every war on religion has to resort to calling communism a "secular religion", you know he's internally waving the white flag. It's easy to blame every evil on "religion" if you want to change definitions to fit your preconceived notion. That would be like a Christian calling every other religion "atheists" because they believe in a different god. By that logic, 911 was carried out by a committed bunch of atheists. Religulous, indeed.
I think you completely miss the point. Usually when people point to the harm caused by, say, Communism, they're doing it to point out a time when atheists were harmful. But communists are not doing anything in the name of their atheism. They're doing it in the name of communism -- for that cause.

Blaming Communism on atheism would be like blaming Communism on any of the other things communists don't do like, say, cannibalism. Would it make sense to say, "See, not being a cannibal is bad! Communism was founded by non-cannibals and look what happened!! BLARGH!"

Atheism has no dogma, tenets, or rules. It is simply a lack of belief in god. Anything else an atheist believes is on them and has no necessary link to their atheism.

Also, pointing out an exception to the pattern of harm caused by religious nuts is not an argument against the harm that is caused by religious nuts. We're all very happy that not every bad thing that's happened is the result of religion, but that doesn't mean that a lot or most of it isn't a result of religion.
Old 04-25-12, 10:32 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Douthat not only took Maher's lunch & ate it, he also took Maher's leftover change.
I agree with this, and I'm an atheist.

Basically, this was like Religulous where Maher kept throwing out canned one-liners and looking smug. But unlike Religulous, this was live television so he couldn't edit out any replies that might make his opponent look intelligent.

I really liked Douthat. I hope he becomes a regular panelist on the show.
Old 04-25-12, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I've really enjoyed the last few shows. I wished Ross Douthat was on the entire panel last week.

HBO has also just renewed Real Time for seasons 11 and 12. They usually just extend 1 season at a time, but ratings must be on the rise to add 2 more.
This show pulls 4.1 million viewers an episode (gross viewers, not necessarily live) which is pretty solid for a show that's substantially cheaper than Game of Thrones and True Blood on HBO.
Old 04-25-12, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ssnyr7d0kkE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Less than stellar quality but a good listen nonetheless.
Old 04-25-12, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 743 Likes on 606 Posts

Thought he is a little biased I think overall he is better and funnier than Jon Stewart.

Probably because he can says whatever he wants on HBO.
Old 04-25-12, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Thought he is a little biased I think overall he is better and funnier than Jon Stewart.

Probably because he can says whatever he wants on HBO.
I like Maher okay, but that statement is akin to saying sand is more wet than water.

Last edited by slop101; 04-25-12 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-25-12, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

What? Funnier than Jon Stewart? From a pure comedy standpoint? I personally think Maher is painfully unfunny but I guess that's just me.
Old 04-25-12, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

His standup blows but I enjoy Real Times format
Old 04-26-12, 05:28 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I think Maher is really funny, but has just gotten too 'MSNBC'ish/FOX'ish in the past 5 years. His show back in the ABC days used to rag on all politicans and he wasn't just a mouthpiece for the democratic party. Now he is a 1 hour infommercial to get democrats elected and to me no different then the ridiculous shows on FOX/MSNBC. Now in saying that, there is a market for partisan democrats and republicans who just want someone to 'preach to the choir' and not give any opposing views for 1 hour and thats what shows are on FOX/MSNBC are doing these days. I used to watch his show 'religously' (no pun intended since Bill hates religion!) but it is so partisan now, I can't take it anymore.
Old 04-26-12, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho

Basically, this was like Religulous where Maher kept throwing out canned one-liners and looking smug. But unlike Religulous, this was live television so he couldn't edit out any replies that might make his opponent look intelligent.

Douthat is obviously intelligent but his answers here weren't impressive. Either he didn't really answer or he answered but didn't make a lot of sense.
Still, it was nice to see a civil discussion without the shouting that usually take over any religious talk.
Old 04-26-12, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You can have intelligent people like Douglas Wilson or Douthat make points but their points are still baseless and rooted in nonsense. That's Maher's reaction - it's not even worth arguing it's so fantastical.
Old 04-26-12, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
His standup blows but I enjoy Real Times format
I saw his stand-up act in Pittsburgh a couple weeks back, and he was pretty good. Of course, it helps if you're a Democrat.
Old 04-26-12, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
This show pulls 4.1 million viewers an episode (gross viewers, not necessarily live) which is pretty solid for a show that's substantially cheaper than Game of Thrones and True Blood on HBO.
Interesting, given that the highest numbers for the highest rated shows on Fox News are about 3 million viewers.

So Bill Maher is higher? (Not counting the pot thing, that is.)
Old 04-27-12, 05:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Bill Maher of 15 years ago would ridicule unmercifully the Bill Maher of today.
Old 04-27-12, 06:37 AM

Received 524 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Interesting, given that the highest numbers for the highest rated shows on Fox News are about 3 million viewers.

So Bill Maher is higher? (Not counting the pot thing, that is.)
I'm guessing the 4.1 million viewers includes all the replays throughout the week (20+ replays per episode). And maybe On Demand and HBOGo viewers too.

O'Reilly has the most viewers on cable news. He gets around 3 million for the 8pm and 1-1.5 million for the 11pm slot. So he's in the 4-4.5 million range. But keep in mind, O'Reilly's doing that with just one replay. And it's five nights a week.

A better comparison would be CNN's shows. Anderson Cooper and Piers Morgan each get around 700-800 thousand per night (including replays). So their weekly ratings would add up to around 4 million each.
Old 04-27-12, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
The Bill Maher of 15 years ago would ridicule unmercifully the Bill Maher of today.
We all grow wiser with age.
Old 04-27-12, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho

Douthat is a regular. He's been on there a few times before. The last appearance was last year when Kevin Nealon and Chris Matthews were on the show. It was one of my favorite episodes ever.
Old 04-27-12, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by coli
I think Maher is really funny, but has just gotten too 'MSNBC'ish/FOX'ish in the past 5 years. His show back in the ABC days used to rag on all politicans and he wasn't just a mouthpiece for the democratic party. Now he is a 1 hour infommercial to get democrats elected and to me no different then the ridiculous shows on FOX/MSNBC. Now in saying that, there is a market for partisan democrats and republicans who just want someone to 'preach to the choir' and not give any opposing views for 1 hour and thats what shows are on FOX/MSNBC are doing these days. I used to watch his show 'religously' (no pun intended since Bill hates religion!) but it is so partisan now, I can't take it anymore.
Maher lines up with the Democrats on many issues, but he routinely criticizes them on his show. Something the stooges on Fox don't have the balls to do. Bill identifies himself as a Libertarian.
Old 04-27-12, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
This isn't really the case at all. He may favor the Democrats more than the Republicans but that's not to say he won't be critical of Democrats if they deserve it. I like a lot of Bill's views for the most part. He can get a little irritating at times but for the most part I find his views in line with a lot of mine.
Old 04-27-12, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Bill identifies himself as a Libertarian.

A libertarian??? A liberterian is someone is wants limited government, as the republican party isn't even near being called this word. Maher is for Obamacare, taxing the rich, more government spending, that is NOT what libertarians are for!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.