Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Old 09-14-23, 04:57 PM
  #3376  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 43,508
Likes: 0
Received 4,070 Likes on 2,759 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

"Real Time is coming back, unfortunately, sans writers or writing. It has been five months, and it is time to bring people back to work. The writers have important issues that I sympathize with, and hope they are addressed to their satisfaction, but they are not the only people with issues, problems, and concerns. Despite some assistance from me, much of the staff is struggling mightily. We all were hopeful this would come to an end after Labor Day, but that day has come and gone, and there still seems to be nothing happening. I love my writers, I am one of them, but I’m not prepared to lose an entire year and see so many below-the-line people suffer so much. I will honor the spirit of the strike by not doing a monologue, desk piece, New Rules or editorial, the written pieces that I am so proud of on Real Time. And I’ll say it upfront to the audience: the show I will be doing without my writers will not be as good as our normal show, full stop. But the heart of the show is an off-the-cuff panel discussion that aims to cut through the bullshit and predictable partisanship, and that will continue. The show will not disappoint."
Old 09-14-23, 05:17 PM
  #3377  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
alfredog1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,522
Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Scab
The following 2 users liked this post by alfredog1976:
Nesbit (09-14-23), spainlinx0 (09-14-23)
Old 09-15-23, 01:37 AM
  #3378  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Very far away..
Posts: 4,926
Likes: 0
Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by alfredog1976
Scab
Nonsense. A scab would be writer doing work on the show during the strike. Not everyone else.

I applaud this. A ton of people, that have no direct stakes in the current strike, gets to have a pay check again.
The following users liked this post:
bchbdaddy (09-17-23)
Old 09-15-23, 02:02 AM
  #3379  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Atascadero, CA
Posts: 9,032
Received 136 Likes on 104 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Gunde
Nonsense. A scab would be writer doing work on the show during the strike. Not everyone else.

I applaud this. A ton of people, that have no direct stakes in the current strike, gets to have a pay check again.
Maher is a writer on the show though not a good enough one to handle new rules or a monologue on his own which is the real reason they wonít be on the show.

No other union involved in entertainment is against either strike because they understand that the things SAG and the writers guild are fighting for are going to benefit them too.
Old 09-15-23, 07:02 AM
  #3380  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,095
Received 123 Likes on 105 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

I watched his Club Random show from a few weeks back, and Bill brings up the strike etc with Jim Gaffigan, good episode.

Another good one from this summer, Ice Cube, 90 minutes of fun.

He should have started to do that show from his guest house years ago.

BTW - Yeah Richard Dreyfuss really is THAT hammered in an episode
Old 09-15-23, 07:30 AM
  #3381  
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 36,751
Received 532 Likes on 309 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Gunde
Nonsense. A scab would be writer doing work on the show during the strike. Not everyone else.

I applaud this. A ton of people, that have no direct stakes in the current strike, gets to have a pay check again.
Maher and anyone who continues to work on this show during the strike are crossing the picket line. They're scabs.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bandoman:
Paff (09-15-23), spainlinx0 (09-15-23)
Old 09-15-23, 12:18 PM
  #3382  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12,215
Received 814 Likes on 635 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Maher and anyone who continues to work on this show during the strike are crossing the picket line. They're scabs.
This. It's nice to generate income for those who are not on strike but affected anyway, like camera operators, costumers, make-up, lighting techs, etc. But the whole point of a strike in the first place is to show top management how much some people are needed and to hit them where it hurts unless they meet the demands. If the show still goes on during a strike, management is doing just fine and they'll think "why do I even need writers?"

This only makes things worse in the long run.
Old 09-15-23, 04:58 PM
  #3383  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Runaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 1,583
Received 352 Likes on 285 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Paff
This. It's nice to generate income for those who are not on strike but affected anyway, like camera operators, costumers, make-up, lighting techs, etc. But the whole point of a strike in the first place is to show top management how much some people are needed and to hit them where it hurts unless they meet the demands. If the show still goes on during a strike, management is doing just fine and they'll think "why do I even need writers?"

This only makes things worse in the long run.
While I do share your opinion no show should go on during a strike, I do believe the quality of the show will suffer and proove the writers worth. Maher's covid shows were terrible, since the format had to be changed and back then, he still had writers. Without monologue, comedy bits and especially new rules, the show is reduced to a political talk show.

Anyway, I wouldn't call the crew scabs, since they are not doing the writers jobs, they are doing their jobs. The camera operators don't write new rules.
Old 09-15-23, 05:37 PM
  #3384  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12,215
Received 814 Likes on 635 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

No, but they're unionized too I assume, and they'd want the same solidarity from the writers or whomever if they were to go on strike.
Old 09-15-23, 06:12 PM
  #3385  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Atascadero, CA
Posts: 9,032
Received 136 Likes on 104 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Tbh I always fast forwarded past the monologue when i used to watch and would prefer more panel time over new rules anyways so if anything this would be an improvement to me
Old 09-16-23, 01:48 AM
  #3386  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Runaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 1,583
Received 352 Likes on 285 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Paff
No, but they're unionized too I assume, and they'd want the same solidarity from the writers or whomever if they were to go on strike.
I'm not sure about that. If the camera and mic operators go on strike. I'm pretty sure writers rooms will continue to produce scripts until production of a show will continue. Solidarity is one thing, making a living is the other. The crew members aren't on strike.
Old 09-16-23, 04:25 AM
  #3387  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 8,932
Likes: 0
Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Paff
No, but they're unionized too I assume, and they'd want the same solidarity from the writers or whomever if they were to go on strike.
Solidarity striking isn't allowed. It's considered walking off the job and you can be fired. Company doesn't have to let you come back because technically you quit. Union cannot strike while under contract unless employer is violating terms of the contract.
Old 09-17-23, 03:32 AM
  #3388  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12,215
Received 814 Likes on 635 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by rw2516
Solidarity striking isn't allowed. It's considered walking off the job and you can be fired. Company doesn't have to let you come back because technically you quit. Union cannot strike while under contract unless employer is violating terms of the contract.
You don't say. I always thought if there was a labor dispute of any kind, unionized workers wouldn't cross the picket lines either. Like when those Vegas hotels had strikes that literally lasted several years (something spoofed in the classic "Festivus" episode of Seinfeld, Kramer had been on strike at H&H Bagels the entire run of the show until the episode). The workers eventually found other jobs, the hotels would hire new workers, but the disagreement was still there between the hotel and the unions, and as a result other unionized workers (like construction companies) refused to take on any jobs at the hotels, thus keeping the hotels several years out of date because they could never find anyone willing to do renovations or modernizations.
Old 09-17-23, 07:11 AM
  #3389  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Runaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 1,583
Received 352 Likes on 285 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Paff
You don't say. I always thought if there was a labor dispute of any kind, unionized workers wouldn't cross the picket lines either. Like when those Vegas hotels had strikes that literally lasted several years (something spoofed in the classic "Festivus" episode of Seinfeld, Kramer had been on strike at H&H Bagels the entire run of the show until the episode). The workers eventually found other jobs, the hotels would hire new workers, but the disagreement was still there between the hotel and the unions, and as a result other unionized workers (like construction companies) refused to take on any jobs at the hotels, thus keeping the hotels several years out of date because they could never find anyone willing to do renovations or modernizations.
Different circumstances: Construction companies aren't out of work, if they refuse to work for some hotels. An electrician working for a show could find another job but mic or camera operators are just unemployed.
Old 09-17-23, 04:47 PM
  #3390  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 8,932
Likes: 0
Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

The construction workers weren't employees of the hotels under a different union. They were employees of the construction company they work for. They weren't striking. They were still working doing other things, or laid off. That would be more of a boycott by construction companies against the hotels.
Old 09-18-23, 11:11 AM
  #3391  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 43,508
Likes: 0
Received 4,070 Likes on 2,759 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Maher is delaying coming back:

"My decision to return to work was made when it seemed nothing was happening and there was no end in sight to this strike. Now that both sides have agreed to go back to the negotiating table I’m going to delay the return of Real Time, for now, and hope they can finally get this done."
Old 09-19-23, 11:26 AM
  #3392  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Cellar Door's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,915
Received 814 Likes on 510 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread


The following 2 users liked this post by Cellar Door:
Bandoman (09-19-23), Paff (09-19-23)
Old 09-28-23, 04:47 AM
  #3393  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,095
Received 123 Likes on 105 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Show returns tomorrow night with Ron Desantis
Old 09-28-23, 07:20 AM
  #3394  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 12,209
Received 956 Likes on 687 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by dex14
Maher is delaying coming back:

"My decision to return to work was made when it seemed nothing was happening and there was no end in sight to this strike. Now that both sides have agreed to go back to the negotiating table Iím going to delay the return of Real Time, for now, and hope they can finally get this done."
Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Events would suggest that he was telling the truth.
Old 09-28-23, 08:03 AM
  #3395  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Atascadero, CA
Posts: 9,032
Received 136 Likes on 104 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Or he didnít like the shit he was getting but had to come up with a reason he was changing his mind because he couldnít admit that he was changing his mind because of the shit he was getting because heís a self absorbed asshole.
The following users liked this post:
Cellar Door (09-28-23)
Old 09-28-23, 08:15 AM
  #3396  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 12,209
Received 956 Likes on 687 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Nesbit
Or he didnít like the shit he was getting but had to come up with a reason he was changing his mind because he couldnít admit that he was changing his mind because of the shit he was getting because heís a self absorbed asshole.
If he makes that flip-flop announcement that he's changing his mind because it look like the strike might get settled, so he'll wait and see, and the strike goes another month, then he's everything you say he is.

If the strike gets settled within a week, then events have vindicated him. We don't know what he was really thinking, but reality covered his ass.
Old 09-28-23, 08:16 AM
  #3397  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Very far away..
Posts: 4,926
Likes: 0
Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Ok, can we get back to discussing the actual show after the new episode tomorrow? All this continued thread crapping is completely unnecessary and fucking annoying. No one cares that you think Bill is an asshole.
Old 09-28-23, 08:20 AM
  #3398  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 12,209
Received 956 Likes on 687 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

The last time the show aired a new episode, it had a super high profile and controversial guest, and generated 6 posts. Just sayin'
Old 09-28-23, 09:02 AM
  #3399  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
alfredog1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,522
Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Get those softball questions ready for DeFascist, Bill! Scumbag
Old 09-28-23, 09:36 AM
  #3400  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Atascadero, CA
Posts: 9,032
Received 136 Likes on 104 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
If he makes that flip-flop announcement that he's changing his mind because it look like the strike might get settled, so he'll wait and see, and the strike goes another month, then he's everything you say he is.

If the strike gets settled within a week, then events have vindicated him. We don't know what he was really thinking, but reality covered his ass.
Thats only true if iím arguing that Maher made up the fact that they were close to a deal. I assume he had some inside knowledge that they were close to a deal and then used that as the excuse to hold off on the triumphant return of Real Time despite it not being the real reason he changed his mind.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.