Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Old 06-12-17, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by mcnabb
A perfect example is a term my grandparents generation used to refer to blacks: Colored's or Negroes. Nobody uses those words anymore because nobody says them in 2017 so they are archaic.
As a footnote, Good Morning America's Amy Robach did use "colored people" last year and wound up having to apologize for it.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...america-921457
Old 06-12-17, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

What annoys me about people like Ice Cube is when he said it's 'our word' now as the irony is they are keeping it alive. If all Rappers and Comics stopped saying the N word, does anyone believe Maher would even entertained the idea of that joke?
Yeah, Ice Cube, NWA and all the acts that followed really helped put make "*****" mainstream. Ice Cube profited off of perpetuating negative stereotypes because it appealed to young audiences, helped him sell albums. Even when he was trying to jump on the NOI bandwagon he was making excuses for saying "*****."

He also tried to give himself an excuse by saying that word can "be used as a weapon or a tool."

He's a hypocrite too because he uses "bitch" all the time to refer to women, but then makes flimsy excuses to defend it.

Dear Ice Cube, your misogyny is showing article.

Originally Posted by JimRochester
He didn't call anyone a n*gg*r. He made reference to a historical fact or term. There was such a thing as house n..s and field n...s. These days the term can be used by someone referring to themselves when they feel put upon, used, or abused.
You're right, he didn't call anyone the N-word. But it was still a really ignorant thing to say. "House n----" can be the equivalent of "Uncle Tom." Bill Maher is using it casually, merely to reference that he doesn't like hard labor, and the term obviously carries so much more weight than that. And like the other guest said, house slaves were also treated inhumanly, many female house slaves were raped, etc.

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
You guys are so white. Do you really think white people would stop using the n-word if hip-hop artists stopped using it?
Nice. Using "white" as a pejorative.
Old 06-13-17, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,049 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie

You're right, he didn't call anyone the N-word. But it was still a really ignorant thing to say. "House n----" can be the equivalent of "Uncle Tom." Bill Maher is using it casually, merely to reference that he doesn't like hard labor, and the term obviously carries so much more weight than that. And like the other guest said, house slaves were also treated inhumanly, many female house slaves were raped, etc.
Bill's joke didn't bother me at all until the main guest came on and explained that. I just didn't think of it that way. I hate to admit it but the only instances of what a "house ******" is from movies that make it seem that all the out of house slaves hated them because they had a "cushy" job. (Though the movie "12 Years A Slave" kinda shows that is not true.) But with recent movies like Django Unchained helps perpetuate the stereotype to everyone today.

I agree with all who state that no one should use the term, be it "****** or *****" no matter what color they are.

The problem is that so many black kids grow up saying it as much as white kids use the word "like" constantly. It is every other word and it just becomes a crutch in their speech.

My 13 year old (who is white) told me all the black boys at this school use the word constantly. He states that no white kids say it at all and he doesn't quite comprehend why (I have tried to explain it to him but this has been going on since he was in 4th grade and now he just accepts that is the way it is.).

The parents of these kids should be appalled and the teachers should curb it but the parents likely use the terms themselves and the teachers are too afraid to broach the subject and prevent it from happening.

But I thought Ice Cube came across as a ridiculous hypocrite. But that's nothing new.
Old 06-17-17, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Anybody watch the June 16 show? Curious to see how Maher handles himself after the whole incident from a few weeks ago.
Old 06-17-17, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

I did. I didn't notice any difference from a typical show, other than there wasn't a mid-show comedy bit.
Old 06-17-17, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Yep, it seems the outraged mobs have moved on & begun the next scavenger hunt for something to be offended by. So we can get back to regular programming.
Old 06-17-17, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,148 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Yep, it seems the outraged mobs have moved on & begun the next scavenger hunt for something to be offended by. So we can get back to regular programming.
That's how it is so often now days. People have to make it seem like their opinions are so important and have to air their feelings for all their family and friends or whoever else to see on social media to make it seem like they care and by posting that they're making a difference or something stupid. The reality is that most just do it for attention in the heat of the moment and move on to the next thing at the drop of a hat. I highly doubt most of the people complaining ever even watched Maher's show aside from that clip and probably don't even realize that it's not in character for him to just spout off racist remarks.
Old 06-17-17, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 171 Likes on 136 Posts

It is a race to be first and most "correct" about something. If someone hunts and shoots a lion you can't just hate the guy...you have to hate him the most because then you are better than everyone who hates him less than you. You have to threaten his entire family...not like those wanna-be losers who only threaten his life.

So naturally when the next outrage comes along the room empties pretty quickly.
Old 06-17-17, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 477 Likes on 314 Posts

I usually fast-forward through the mid-show comedy bit, as I find most of them embarrassingly lame.

This week's Overtime is worth watching for Malcolm Nance call out the Breitbart guy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/inJXUHC0llY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-17-17, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I also liked Izzard calling out the Breibart guy for sowing confusion by how he and his kind will point to something else instead of addressing the issue at hand.
Old 06-17-17, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
That's how it is so often now days. People have to make it seem like their opinions are so important and have to air their feelings for all their family and friends or whoever else to see on social media to make it seem like they care and by posting that they're making a difference or something stupid. The reality is that most just do it for attention in the heat of the moment and move on to the next thing at the drop of a hat.
There's a lot of different factors that go into it to though.
If people aren't outraged about what Bill Maher said, but instead offer some more restrained criticism of his usage of that phrase and how it's wrong, he's likely to not just shrug it off, but even to tell everyone they're too sensitive.

You make a big deal out of it though, with the implication that his show is threatened, he actually apologizes for it, does a special episode, and probably doesn't do it again.

But then again too, criticizing a non-black celebrity for saying the n-word, whether they used it with an -er or an -a, is easy. You're not going to piss off many in your audience by taking that stand.

This article for example. No background on the term "house ******", nor cites of him subtly perpetuating black stereotypes with his jokes. A pretty easy article for a cite like "Think Progress."

This is an older article from 2015 here that also accused Bill Maher of being bigoted toward women, but conveniently leaves out examples of him calling a couple female Republicans "Dumb twat," and "c***," instead using his "crying" accusation of prominent Democrat Hillary Clinton. Salon I think leans left so creating sympathy for the other side is a no-no.

I googled Bill Maher n-word and got this article which praises Ice Cube for taking Maher to task over the word, and calls him a "vocal objector to America's underlying bigotry," which again, for considerations of audience, conveniently leaves out Ice Cube's laundry list of bigotry towards women, and promotion of violence and gang culture in his music.

Last edited by brayzie; 06-17-17 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-17-17, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
I also liked Izzard calling out the Breibart guy for sowing confusion by how he and his kind will point to something else instead of addressing the issue at hand.

At 4:18 apparently Breitbart claimed Nance was calling for a Trump property to be attacked by terrorists.
Here's the original article by them.
Here's the Snopes article about the whole thing.

The guy then counters with "are you really saying that WE don't get death threats..."
No, he wasn't saying ANYTHING like that. He was talking about your criticism of fake news when you engage in it yourselves.

Okay, I'm at 6:30 Slop 101. Yeah, a nice observation by Izzard.
Old 06-18-17, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Ted Nugent was interviewed on Fox this morning about the hateful political rhetoric. Said he will be appearing on Maher's show. Didn't say when.
He seemed to be taking a step back and admitting that he'd gone over the line in the past. Apparently his wife and daughter sat him down for an "intervention" and he's acting like he get's it now.
Old 06-18-17, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Let the healing begin!

If this mainstream 'us vs them' scuffle ends, I wonder how long it'll last. I'm optimistic we can return to where much fewer people are obsessed with politics. The current obsessive engagement have gotten out of hand. Any historical perspective on modern political division among the average person? I only remember back to the old days of Clinton and W.

Okay, I'll still give my Dark Knight theory a spin. Trump is there to unite us against a common enemy (Trump) and end the 'Washington outsider businessman president' fantasy. We're only 1/8 through his first term. I really don't see this ending well for him. He's not doing anything to make friends or extend the USA's reach of soft power. And he's forcing Republicans into salvage mode ... they're not going to gain any ground during Trump's Administration ... but they need to minimize damage.

I heard on NPR that 40% of people asked wouldn't want their child marrying someone from the other party. That's nuts.
Old 06-18-17, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 171 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I heard on NPR that 40% of people asked wouldn't want their child marrying someone from the other party. That's nuts.
Considering political positions have taken on a kind of religious zealotry (including the radicalized factions resorting street violence and worse), they probably look at it like marrying outside your religious beliefs - just asking for problems by living in disagreement over things for which they are intransient in their beliefs.

That said, if you shut out someone because of political leanings you are part of the problem.
Old 06-18-17, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Warren to Trump "you aint seen nasty yet"

Apparently Warren didn't get the memo. It seems like as soon as things settle down, someone is all too eager to rile it back up. Let's face it, the left doesn't want to see a softer gentler Trump because the out of control Trump is good for business. And 10 year olds can hold their temper better than Trump and his team. It looks like 3.5 more years of twitter wars.
Old 06-18-17, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,297 Likes on 942 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Ted Nugent was interviewed on Fox this morning about the hateful political rhetoric. Said he will be appearing on Maher's show. Didn't say when.
He seemed to be taking a step back and admitting that he'd gone over the line in the past. Apparently his wife and daughter sat him down for an "intervention" and he's acting like he get's it now.
I recently saw tickets for a concert appearance of his on Groupon. Sagging ticket sales made him see the light. Fuck Nugent.
Old 06-19-17, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Let the healing begin!

If this mainstream 'us vs them' scuffle ends, I wonder how long it'll last. .
It will never end because there are too many specialized outlets for everything these days on TV, Radio, Internet, Social Media, etc. Everything is currently set up for a niche audience to preach to so there is always going to be some show out there to fire people up about something.

25-30 years ago we had ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and CNN along with a few cable networks like MTV, ESPN, HBO, etc. Those networks all had to appeal to a mass audience, so you wouldn't have a Sean Hannity or Rachel Maddow on TV. Now with the internet and social media, you can bitch about any movie, any TV show, any comedian who offends you, any politician you hate everyday and find a blog that supports your opinion. Social Media and the Internet literally gives EVERYONE a voice in this country 24 hours a day, that can't be healthy!

In some ways it's great that we can find something that appeals to all of specific vices and political beliefs, but on the other hand it just keeps us in a bubble. If you remember the Political Thread here during the General Election had a only few people posting supporting Trump so it was assumed that it would be a Hillary landslide, yet he ended up winning the Presidency. (Everyone was in a bubble in that thread). Nothing will change as everyone is 'coming together now' but give it a few weeks, a few months and the rhetoric will amp up again.
Old 06-25-17, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 937 Likes on 713 Posts

Who was that Richard Painter guy? He looked like a Saturday Night Live parody.
Old 08-04-17, 12:26 PM

Received 4,543 Likes on 3,082 Posts

REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER RETURNS FROM HIATUS AND RESUMES ITS 15TH SEASON AUG. 4, EXCLUSIVELY ON HBO; AL GORE IS THE TOP-OF-SHOW INTERVIEW GUEST; RALPH REED, JR. IS THE MID-SHOW INTERVIEW GUEST; KRISTEN SOLTIS ANDERSON, JOSHUA GREEN AND MICHAEL WEISS ARE THE ROUNDTABLE GUESTS
Old 08-04-17, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Even though I am a Trump guy, Maher is the one liberal late night show I enjoy. He has been hilarious since Trump has gotten elected.
Old 08-04-17, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

25-30 years ago we had ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and CNN along with a few cable networks like MTV, ESPN, HBO, etc. Those networks all had to appeal to a mass audience, so you wouldn't have a Sean Hannity or Rachel Maddow on TV.
I think there's something here. Like, the low-cost and market saturation have devalued the news media. Because of this, they have nothing to lose. They don't need to be sensible to reach the majority of the population, while not being alienating or polarizing.

Free speech is cheap. That's gangster.
Old 08-05-17, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 937 Likes on 713 Posts

Even though I am a Trump guy, Maher is the one liberal late night show I enjoy. He has been hilarious since Trump has gotten elected.
Weren't you one of those GOP Never-Trumpers?
Old 08-05-17, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Yeah, what happened since the election that finally won you over
Old 08-05-17, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Paff
Yes I was because I thought he was a phony Republican who would govern like a NY Liberal. But the guy has governed like a Republican (whether you like him or not).

I thought people would gravitate to the Libertarian party last year because of Trump but the 2 party system has a monopoly on the system. I don't like it but the Election reaffirmed that even though Trump and Hillary were the most unlikable Presidential Candidates ever, the majority of the country still voted for them. There is just not enough people that are willing to pull the lever for a 3rd Party to make a difference in a Presidential election.

Last edited by mcnabb; 08-05-17 at 07:23 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.