TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Snl 02.15.2003

Old 02-15-03, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snl 02.15.2003

Okay.

I'm gonna say it.

This episode wasn't bad.

[Waiting for the ground to open up and swallow me...]

Ok, since it didn't happen let me continue.

The Bush bit at the beginning wasn't too funny. Neither was the Michael Jackson skit. Weekend Update didn't suck as bad as it has in the past.

Jennifer Garner kicked ass. It's funny...thanks to the relatively crappy efforts by hosts this season and last, I now play a game called "Who's Reading the Cue Cards?". I'm proud to say that Jennifer did it once. And she flubbed a line...once.

Don't even let me get started on Jimmy...why the hell doesn't he just stand there with the f'n script in his damn hand??

ANYways...Beck was fabulous too.

Next week has Christopher Walken & the Foos. They're both great, but there'll sure be a lot of CC reading on Chris' part...
Old 02-16-03, 12:04 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
I thought it was bad. I think Jennifer did a great job but the writing was terrible.

Fallon and Sanz should not be allowed to do skits togehter. It's a trainwreck when ever they do.
Old 02-16-03, 12:45 AM
Banned

did Jennifer Garner mention Daredevil while she was there?
Old 02-16-03, 12:50 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Aaron Amos
did Jennifer Garner mention Daredevil while she was there?
I don't think so
Old 02-16-03, 12:57 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by MrX
Fallon and Sanz should not be allowed to do skits togehter. It's a trainwreck when ever they do.
Personally, I think SNL is acutally taking advantage of such trainwreck and making more laugh than the writing provides. Since the writing can't get the laugh, trainwreck ought to do the trick.
Old 02-16-03, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Snl 02.15.2003

• Quoth Rogue588 •<HR SIZE=1>[Waiting for the ground to open up and swallow me...]<HR SIZE=1>

The ground was bored to sleep with the show. When it wakes up, I'm sure you'll be dealt with.

Worst ... episode ... ever.

Garner did an excellent job, but the writing was flat terrible. They didn't even have good concepts with bad endings. It was just bad concepts with horrific endings. I half expected someone to come out and say, "you like-a the juice? juice is good, ah?" Painful ... truly painful. The Bush opening went on and on and on ... and on ... and ON, and the "My Funny Valentine" monologue had me embarassed for poor Garner. Yet another week where Mad TV completely dwarfs SNL. I really feel bad for these hosts who are slaves to some of the worst writing the show has ever seen.

Thanks to Beck for saving this from being the worst episode in history. They gave two kickass performances, but then ... what else would you expect.

das
Old 02-16-03, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yet another week where Mad TV completely dwarfs SNL.
You're kidding, right?

MAD TV has fallen so far, so fast, that now every episode is like having a root canal without novocaine. And with a wild boar gnawing off your arm. While you're on fire.

This SNL episode was pretty good in parts. Jennifer Garner was very good (no cue cards), and a few of the skits were OK funny. I liked the Chris Parnell rap segment and the barroom lighting sketch... the rest veered between not that funny and... well, patheti-sad.

But nothing even close to the unfuniness level of MAD TV. Unless you think that fart-poopie jokes and making fun of handicapped people and minorities is somehow topical, fresh and funny.

IMO, as always.
Old 02-16-03, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Poor Jennifer Garner.

That was just bad. I mean, "Daredevil" was like "Citizen Kane" compared to this. The writing was pathetic, and I don't get why hosts have to sing in the monologue. It's not funny, and well, she wasn't that great of a singer. I think I could have written a better episode, and I'm not even that funny.

She tried her best, but with such crappy writing, it was hard to watch. Not only did they skip the obvious sketches, (Hello..."Alias" parody? Daredevil? Ben Affleck in a leather suit?) but most of the sketches were just her being the dumb hot girl.

The Michael Jackson sketch was poorly done too. So much could have been done and instead they have lame imitations and half jokes that really didn't work.

So sad...
Old 02-16-03, 03:07 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by ncmojo
I liked the Chris Parnell rap segment
I didn't care for that part. I thought the one Parnell did when Britney Spears was the host was a lot better, and funnier, then this one.

I've only caught Mad a couple of times this season but I think it has been better then SNL. If this show gets an emmy nomination for writing again I'm calling for an investigation.

I agree with freedexter, I was waiting for an Alias parody to but it never happened. I can't believe they didn't do one. I wonder how much longer Lorne Michaels is going to let Tina Fey and the other writers run this show into the ground?
Old 02-16-03, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

MAD TV has fallen so far, so fast, that now every episode is like having a root canal without novocaine. And with a wild boar gnawing off your arm. While you're on fire.
Actually Mad Tv is fantastic. The writing is great and it is 10 times funnier than SNL.
Old 02-16-03, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Maybe winning an Emmy made the writers lazy
Old 02-16-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So-so episode. My favorite part was the Burt Bacharach Iraq speech.
Old 02-16-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I will agree with Rogue588. This episode seemed okay.

I enjoyed-
The lighting sketch
Wakeup Wakefield
Parts of the Osama/Saddam sketch
Weekend Update (esp Chris Parnell, although it wasn't as good as the gun battle rap about Kirsten Dunst )
Beck!

I felt indifferent about-
The Michael Jackson sketch
The Wal-Mart Sketch

I felt that these weren't funny-
Chris Parnell's opening sketch (I kept waiting for a punchline, but nope!)
Clappin' (It should have been funny, but oh well)
The monologue (the usual 20 min borefest)

All and all an average show in a season of below average shows.
Old 02-16-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Go figure, I thought this was not only the best episode of the season, but the best episode in recent memory.

Not a stinker in the bunch, and quite a few belly-laugh moments. The bar-lighting sketch, Wake Up Wakefield, the conjoined twins, Burt Bacharach, Wal-Mart, WU, good stuff. I didn't even mind the pointless opening monologue song. The weakest moment (naturally) was Fallon and Sanz with their fake laughter and total inability to ad-lib.

Honk!
Old 02-16-03, 07:05 PM

i liked last weeks better than this (see signature). garner was good in her monologue. one of the best i have seen this season. there were maybe 2 funny sketches. i hated the siamese twins and the stupid walmart bit. and beck was not entertaining. i did like the spy rap during wu.
Old 02-17-03, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
I thought the "Clappin" commercial was pretty funny.
Old 02-17-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm beginning to think that Garner is more like Sydney Bristow in terms of memory and athletic ability.

Stunt coordinators on "Daredevil" said that she's got this photographic memory when it comes to performing action sequences (meaning you show her the action moves once and she mimics the moves without a hitch), and now we find out that she actually learns her lines for her SNL skits, unlike 99% of the guest hosts who almost always read the cue cards because they have no idea what the skit is about (most of the time).

This is one impressive young lady. And to think she was toiling away on "The Time of My Life" just 3 years ago (and a bit on Felicity).
Old 02-17-03, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Snl 02.15.2003

Originally posted by Rogue588
Okay.

I'm gonna say it.

This episode wasn't bad.

Jennifer Garner kicked ass. It's funny...thanks to the relatively crappy efforts by hosts this season and last, I now play a game called "Who's Reading the Cue Cards?". I'm proud to say that Jennifer did it once. And she flubbed a line...once.
I completely agree. JG had great energy, imo. She reminded me of how Alec Baldwin and Tom Hanks both used to get into their skits on the show. The first thing I noticed at the end was that there was hardly any card-reading on her part throughout the show - she did better than most of the cast regulars - easily the best host in quite some time.

I actually liked the Saddam to Osama phone call skit...
Old 02-18-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
I agree with the poor Jennifer Garner line.

Sadly, she is not the first talented actor/actress to fall flat on the show due to bad writing. Kirsten Dunst didn't fare too well in her appearance, but you could tell she was giving it her all. Perhaps the biggest letdown I had recently was Sarah Michelle Gellar. She always had a good show with lots of laughs, but her last outing wasn't on par with her other.

I can only hope Walken does his Continental skit next week. Those are funny, and mostly due to his efforts and not the writing.
Old 02-18-03, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was hugely impressed with Jennifer Garner. That was the ballsiest performance that I have seen in quite a while. In a way, it reminded me of something that I read a castmember say about Will Ferrell. No matter how bad the skits were, he would go out there, and give it his all, and manage not to look embarrassed about doing such garbage, and be the best thing about them. That basically nails what I thought of Garner's performance. She was an unbelievable host considering such uninspired material.
Old 03-29-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
BUMP for tonight's rerun

Episode recap/skit transcripts
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/02/02l.phtml