DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Next gay actor to inch his way out of the closet: Richard Chamberlain (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/270234-next-gay-actor-inch-his-way-out-closet-richard-chamberlain.html)

adamblast 02-10-03 02:58 PM

Next gay actor to inch his way out of the closet: Richard Chamberlain

After vehemently denying that he's gay for over 30 years -- and, if I remember right, suing a tabloid about it once -- it looks like Richard Chamberlain has decided to come out of the closet after all... Why? So he can write a book about it, of course...

From PlanetOut Entertainment...

Who let the doc out?

Sexy senior Richard Chamberlain, who first set hearts a-flutter as Dr. Kildare in the eponymous '60s series, has decided to come clean about his homosexuality. Chamberlain is writing a memoir titled "Toward Love," which will be published by HarperCollins this spring. In it, the "Thorn Birds" star will reportedly reveal his struggle to reconcile his sexuality with his public persona. The 67-year-old Chamberlain resides in Hawaii with his manager-slash-lover Martin Rabbett, with whom he's been happily coupled since 1987. Rabbett served as the executive producer for the 1999 miniseries "Too Rich: The Secret Life of Doris Duke," in which Chamberlain portrayed the heiress' gay butler who was suspected of orchestrating her death.
Now this'll be a big *yawn* to most of you, of course, but I just thought it was interesting... There are a lot of open/out young actors, but not too many of the old guard -- in America, at least...

Morf 02-10-03 03:02 PM

http://www.richardchamberlaintribute...cdrewmummy.jpg

*gasp* I am utterly shocked beyond belief. -rolleyes-

adamblast 02-10-03 03:22 PM

:D What was that from? Yeesh!

(Of course you can find some icky drag shot for tons of straight actors, too, but you're right of course... It's no big surprise here either... Although it will be for some folks who were big fans during his 70s-era reign as king of the mini-series... Like my mom...)

Alien Redrum 02-10-03 04:17 PM

Now I'm curious. Will he have to pay back the tabloid he sued (assuming he won)?

ChefWinduAZ 02-10-03 04:22 PM

I thought that this was old news. Didn't he come out of the closet years ago?

adamblast 02-10-03 04:31 PM

Originally posted by WWE Jedi
Didn't he come out of the closet years ago?
Not as far I know, but he may have been open about it in some venues... These things get tricky sometimes...

Like Lily Tomlin... For most of her career, she didn't want anybody to know... Then at some point, she stopped caring... And it just sort of drifted from being an industry secret to being common knowledge... But there was never any specific "coming out"...

ChefWinduAZ 02-10-03 04:34 PM

Originally posted by adamblast
Like Lily Tomlin... For most of her career, she didn't want anybody to know... Then at some point, she stopped caring... And it just sort of drifted from being an industry secret to being common knowledge without any specific "coming out"...
Now I didn't know about Lily Tomlin. I'm not surprised but I didn't realize she came out.

UAIOE 02-10-03 04:36 PM

Whats this about Lily Tomlin?

Groucho 02-10-03 04:42 PM

I had no idea, but then again Richard Chamberlain is not an actor whose career I have been following closely.

adamblast 02-10-03 04:48 PM

Originally posted by UAIOE
Turns out she's Lithuanian...

cooper2000 02-10-03 05:57 PM

Hollywood is full of Gay people. Its just ashame that people have to hide who they really are, ya know?

rskinfn 02-10-03 06:38 PM

After the death of Raymond Burr, Howard Stern was rembering being in his father radio studio hearing Burr doing some radio work. Stern said that Burr was flying around like a 'fairy' and never used that deep voice as we have been come used to on Perry Mason.

He thought everyone knew he was gay. I remember Robin being somewhat suprised by Howard's revelation.

Jobronie 02-10-03 08:39 PM

Originally posted by rskinfn
After the death of Raymond Burr, Howard Stern was rembering being in his father radio studio hearing Burr doing some radio work. Stern said that Burr was flying around like a 'fairy' and never used that deep voice as we have been come used to on Perry Mason.
Burr out of character was hysterical in that he was that completely different than his on-screen persona.

I saw him do casual interviews a few times; he always wore ascots or crevats, and spoke in this much higher lisping voice. He was practically a walking stereotype.

OBLIGATORY: Not that there's anything wrong with that........

adamblast 02-11-03 12:49 AM

So now I'm imagining some parallel B&W '50s universe where Perry Mason and Dr. Kildare are this yuppie gay couple... :)

rfduncan 02-11-03 09:50 AM

Originally posted by UAIOE
Lily Tomlin and Jane Wagner have been partners both professionally and romatically for YEARS.

Tomlin was supposed to announce her coming out during the premier of The Celluloid Closet. She convinced Armistad Maupin to participate in the project by promising to do this and THEN broke her word. Tomlin figured everyone already knew. They were bitter enemies for quite a while after that.

Bandoman 02-11-03 10:40 AM

Originally posted by Alien Redrum
Now I'm curious. Will he have to pay back the tabloid he sued (assuming he won)?
Yeah, I don't know if he won his lawsuit or got any settlement, but if so the tabloid should get its money back, with interest and attorneys fees. I'm all for tabloids being held accountable when they fabricate stories about people, but in this case it seems like Chamberlain's suit against them was fraudulent - unless, of course, he simply became gay after that lawsuit. ;)

Morf 02-11-03 01:50 PM

Originally posted by adamblast
:D What was that from? Yeesh!

He played Rigel Wick's mom on The Drew Carey Show.

Giantrobo 02-12-03 02:25 AM

My mother told me he was gay years ago. Good for him. :up:

Giantrobo 02-12-03 02:29 AM

Originally posted by rskinfn

He thought everyone knew he was gay. I remember Robin being somewhat suprised by Howard's revelation.

Chuck Conners ???
Cesear Romero
George Takei

I personally believe Jack Benny and the actor who played Rochester were gay.

Seantn 02-12-03 05:07 AM

What's next, Rosie O'Donnel? Yeah right, that'll be the day!

Jobronie 02-12-03 07:07 AM

Originally posted by Seantn
What's next, Rosie O'Donnel? Yeah right, that'll be the day!
Nah, Rosie is MUCH too masculine to like other men.

He's a ladies man all the way.......