DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   das - how many vcr's/tivo's do you own??? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/267596-das-how-many-vcrs-tivos-do-you-own.html)

hahn 01-30-03 02:24 PM

das - how many vcr's/tivo's do you own???

American Idol, Bachelorette, AND Angel. All on at the same time and you managed to watch ALL of them?! Wow, and I thought I watched a lot of TV. :D The networks should pay you to be a Nielsen viewer.

But this does suck. More and more nights have overlapping shows that I want to watch. Wed nights are especially crowded. Anyone know when Tivo's coming out with a dual tuner? I gotta get me one of those.

djbrown 01-30-03 02:40 PM

Re: das - how many vcr's/tivo's do you own???

Originally posted by hahn
But this does suck. More and more nights have overlapping shows that I want to watch. Wed nights are especially crowded. Anyone know when Tivo's coming out with a dual tuner? I gotta get me one of those.
A stand-alone, two-tuner Tivo? Not in the near future from what I understand. It would require a second encoder I believe, and that's rather cost prohibitive. The DirecTivo's do not not need the encoders, so they are quite a bit cheaper to produce. Thus the two-tuner units.

BDB 01-30-03 02:45 PM

Directivo's are great, as is being on the west coast and getting east coast feeds....

Bachelorette on at 5:30 and it frees up the rest of the evening

Red Dog 01-30-03 02:47 PM

I own one Replay-TV. I was thinking about getting another one (Costco has the 80 hour one for $250 after rebate - great deal), but I only have 3 inputs on my Sony TV:

1. Video 1 - for DVD player (which I have to share with my PS2)
2. Video 2 - for Replay-TV (hooked up to my digital cable box)
3. RF1 - for my direct cable line (I split my cable: 1 to TIVO and 1 direct to TV)

Come to think of it, I do have another RF input to my TV (ANT) so I suppose I could connect another Replay-TV to that (assuming that the Replay-TV has a RF out). I would then need a 3-way splitter and I could only record non-digital-cable channels on the 2nd Replay-TV (unless I got another digital cable box).

GuessWho 01-30-03 02:50 PM

I have one VCR and cannot watch one show while a different one is recording :(

Patman 01-30-03 02:50 PM

Rd, you need to get a A/V receiver to add more video inputs to your setup.

I have 3 VCRs, and one ReplayTV (soon to be 2). I have been watching HDTV content live, so some of the recordings I make aren't watch because I want the HD viewing experience for them.

das Monkey 01-30-03 03:06 PM

I dunno ... a lot :)

I have a DirecTiVo (2 tuners) hacked up to 149 hours
An HD DirecTV/OTA receiver
And a bunch of various generic receivers and VCRs - not sure what the total count is - maybe 3 or 4 more receivers and 6 or 7 VCRs.

With so much TV coming out on DVD and the availability of hiqh quality encodes on the newsgroups, I don't use my VCRs much anymore (only 2 are hooked up right now). While I'm set up to handle it, it is very rare that there are more than 4 programs all in the same timeslot that I need to see. The only time that happens is Sunday nights and I have HBO West to take care of that. I think I'm set up to handle 7 shows per timeslot in a worst case scenario.

das

P.S. I agree ... the networks should pay me to watch their stuff. :) /me dreams about how much TV he could watch if he didn't have a pesky job.

Venusian 01-30-03 03:27 PM

this is why i dont start watching new shows ;) i have a hard enough time watching the ones i'm currently "invested in".

how do you find the time to watch all the stuff you record?

Red Dog 01-30-03 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Patman
Rd, you need to get a A/V receiver to add more video inputs to your setup.

Yeah - this is what my former roommate had since he had 2 TIVOs, a DVD player, an HD decoder, and a cable box going into the TV. The only thing that sucks if I got one is that it means yet another remote. Sure I could get one of those fancy/schmancy Marantz or Pronto remotes but I like being able to use the remote (my current one is a Cinema 7) w/o having to look at it.

Jadzia 01-30-03 04:36 PM

das,

Do ever have time to watch DVDs?

I know I watch a lot of TV and it cuts into my DVD watching time.

das Monkey 01-30-03 04:47 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth Jadzia •<HR SIZE=1>das,

<HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a real drawback, and it sucks. There's just not enough time in the day. Still, I try to make the time. The Fall is the worst with all the new shows in addition to football killing Saturdays and Sundays. Winter is rough too, since short-run shows are becoming more and more popular. But I try to catch up on DVD viewing during the weekends (other than Fall) and throughout the summer months.

I have a social and family life to maintain, so the time is often difficult to find, and it takes a little planning to keep up. Cutting commercials cuts out a good 20%, plus I often watch 2 things at a time. And still there's just not enough time. If I were a hermit with no life, it would probably be easier, but I like to get out and do things too much, so DVDs often get left behind. :(

das

cooper2000 01-30-03 05:34 PM

I picture Das never leaving the house or dating because he watches so much TV.

Patman 01-30-03 06:10 PM

DVDs? What are those?

Jadzia 01-30-03 06:25 PM

I am seriously considering moving one of my Replay Tv's to my basement exercise room so I can workout while I catch up on watching my TV shows.

In addition all the network shows, I am also trying to watch Sliders & Roswell repeats that I've never seen.

I have a TV down there with basic cable hook-up but I am stuck watching "live" TV down there which I am so not used to doing now.

ReplayTV is such a mixed blessing. I love it but I definitely watch way more TV now than I used to in the "olden days".

I find I am constantly trying to watch stuff on there so I can delete it and I rarely don't have a backlog of something to watch (except during the holidays when all my regular shows were in repeats.)

My husband & I actually don't go anywhere on our vacations-- we stay home for a week and watch movies & TV shows.

Red Dog 01-30-03 06:28 PM

Same here - outside of the TV, my Replay is now my most used piece of a/v equipment. Fortunately, now that football is over, Sunday afternoons are free for catch-up, unless there are decent college hoops games on.

Greg Krewet 01-30-03 07:02 PM

5 vcr's and 4 are recording at this moment

C00Ki3 01-30-03 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
I own one Replay-TV. I was thinking about getting another one (Costco has the 80 hour one for $250 after rebate - great deal)
Sorry to jump in here, but I just bought a 40 hour Replay for almost the same price! I have been searching the Costco website and cannot find the Replay TV. Could you provide a link?

Thanks!

-C00Ki3

Red Dog 01-30-03 07:24 PM

Originally posted by C00Ki3
Sorry to jump in here, but I just bought a 40 hour Replay for almost the same price! I have been searching the Costco website and cannot find the Replay TV. Could you provide a link?

Thanks!

-C00Ki3

It is not available on-line. I saw them the last time I actually went to Costco which was like 3 weeks ago. First time I actually ever saw DVRs at Costco. They had the 4508 for $299. $249 after SonicBlue's $50 rebate.

Patman 01-30-03 07:38 PM

But remember, you'll need to fork over $10/month, or $250 at one time to keep the PVRs going.

I just added to my Showstopper collection (now 2 of them) with one I just bought off Epay.

I think I'm going to stick with the older PVRs with the built-in activation, rather than deal with the monthly/lifetime subscriptions.

I almost went for 2 Showstoppers tonight. How sick is that?

hahn 01-31-03 02:26 AM

Originally posted by das Monkey
<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth Jadzia •<HR SIZE=1>das,

<HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a real drawback, and it sucks. There's just not enough time in the day. Still, I try to make the time. The Fall is the worst with all the new shows in addition to football killing Saturdays and Sundays. Winter is rough too, since short-run shows are becoming more and more popular. But I try to catch up on DVD viewing during the weekends (other than Fall) and throughout the summer months.

I have a social and family life to maintain, so the time is often difficult to find, and it takes a little planning to keep up. Cutting commercials cuts out a good 20%, plus I often watch 2 things at a time. And still there's just not enough time. If I were a hermit with no life, it would probably be easier, but I like to get out and do things too much, so DVDs often get left behind. :(

das

Yeah, real rough life there - catching up on DVD's. :D

You have a social and family life??? Seriously now...how's that mathematically possible, unless you get 1 hour of sleep per night???

Dude, I think watching 2 shows at the same time is grounds for an intervention.

das Monkey 01-31-03 07:34 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth hahn •<HR SIZE=1>Dude, I think watching 2 shows at the same time is grounds for an intervention. <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

:lol: I can quit any time. I'm in control.

das

crankyman 01-31-03 08:44 AM

i took the batteries out of one of my vcr's remotes to put in the directivo's. i love that thing.

Jadzia 01-31-03 08:47 AM

Patman, you finally got a PVR?

That's awesome! I always thought you were a prime candidate.

It will change your life, brother.

G. Noel Gross 01-31-03 11:13 AM

Now how exactly does the monkey boy get enough electricity channeled to his enclosure? Who shovels his poo? Peels his bananas?

das Monkey 01-31-03 11:17 AM

1) Solar power
2) I fling it at passersby
3) Attachment on my universal remote

das

Patman 01-31-03 11:30 AM

Originally posted by Jadzia
Patman, you finally got a PVR?

That's awesome! I always thought you were a prime candidate.

It will change your life, brother.

I'm always late to the technology party (for the most part), and as cheap as VCRs are (around $40-$70) the tapes are getting to be a hassle with only 8 hours of capacity on each tape, and you get into wanting to delete some shows while wanting to keep others for further review. The PVR solution is definitely cleaner in show management. I'm going to bump up my HD space in the Showstoppers, so that's going to help in the long run as well.

When these PVRs first came out they were just too expensive ($500-up), but now that they are a mature product, the choices for the older models makes them a good value ($200-$300). And now that I'll be freeing up 2 VCRs, I still think I'd like a 3rd PVR...

Chew 01-31-03 11:48 AM

Here's my PVR story: won (yup, won!) a TiVo a few years back from submitting a song about TiVo during a tivo.com contest. It was a 14 hour model. This obviously wasn't enough. I upgraded to 110 hours (30 hours at best quality). But, even though it was enough storage, I still couldn't cover the overlaps on the networks. So I got a Showstopper. Then Dish Network came out with their PVR at a good price.

For a while there, I was using all three. But, I have since switched to DirecTiVo (two tuners). The new unit now replaces all three of the previous ones as there's rarely three shows on the networks at the same time. The good thing about cable is they play series so much during the week, TiVo catches what I missed the first go-round.

Sure is nice having a Tivo with both network and cable channels available on the same unit.

(After years of singing the praises of PVRs to a buddy of mine, he bought my old Showstopper and won't go back!)