DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   TV Shows based around a 'Teaser Relationship' (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/265759-tv-shows-based-around-teaser-relationship.html)

Original Desmond 01-22-03 09:13 PM

TV Shows based around a 'Teaser Relationship'

Here's some i can think of

Smallville
Ned and Stacey
Who's the Boss

das Monkey 01-22-03 09:24 PM

Every NBC sitcom since Tartikoff died?

Guess it depends on what you mean by "based around"

<I>Frasier</I> was very Daphne/Niles early on. <I>Friends</I> was Ross/Rachel for years. <I>Cheers</I> was Sam/Diane for 5 years, then Sam/Rebecca for 5 more.

<I>SportsNight</I> was Casey/Dana for a good year plus.

Need a better definition I guess. A lot of ensemble shows evolve into teaser relationships. A lot of shows start off as teasers and finally give in because they can't write a decent plot anymore. So is the defintion of a "teaser" a show where they <I>never</I> get together? Or just a show where they milk it for a few years for cheap ratings?

das

LBPound 01-22-03 09:37 PM

That stupid Good Morning, Miami show.

freedexter 01-22-03 09:39 PM

The only one that comes to mind is Felicity. Ok, they looked like very nice gentlemen, so pick one and move on. It took 5 years for that to finally occur, and someone had to die in a dream for that to happen.

Then again, it took about a decade or so for "The Nanny" to get married to that guy. That was basically season after season of bad jokes, nasal voices, and lots of flirting.

Oh, and Luke/Lorelai on Gilmore Girls, Nina/Andy & Amy/Emphram on Everwood.

Mutley Hyde 01-22-03 09:57 PM

the original... Moonlighting :)

And maybe The Facts of Life... well, I always wanted to see Blair and Jo hit it off. ;)

MrN 01-23-03 12:50 AM

Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
the original... Moonlighting :)

Thats the first one I thought of too.
Others? Remington Steele?

Tscott 01-23-03 01:13 AM

Three's Company - Jack was gay, but he never hooked up with his "best friend" Larry. At least that what I think the show was about, but I may have misheard a conversation in one episode and gotten the wrong idea.

Oh, and we can't forget about The Brady Bunch...

das Monkey 01-23-03 01:18 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth Tscott •<HR SIZE=1>Oh, and we can't forget about The Brady Bunch... <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

Greg and Carol, right? :)

das

freedexter 01-23-03 01:43 AM

Originally posted by das Monkey
<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth Tscott •<HR SIZE=1>Oh, and we can't forget about The Brady Bunch... <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

das

Really? I thought it was Marsha and Jan.

Static Cling 01-23-03 07:37 AM

Ed.

nightwing82 01-23-03 08:08 AM

Caroline in the City

Mutley Hyde 01-23-03 09:57 AM

Oh yeah, and Wings! Oh, and a classic... Cheers. :)

And The Wonder Years.

bboisvert 01-23-03 10:46 AM

B.J. and the Bear

GuessWho 01-23-03 11:01 AM

Originally posted by das Monkey

das

No... Mike and Carol... they were the original Will & Grace

fujishig 01-23-03 12:30 PM

Wow, there are a lot. In fact, I can think of very few sitcoms that aren't based either around a teaser relationship or married couple (when obviously a teaser relationship is out of the question). I mean seriously, name any successful sitcom that hasn't had one. The only one I can think of is Seinfeld, which did the opposite by having Jerry and Elaine hook up and break up in the very beginning.

A better question would be: how many failed after the teaser relationship was consumated?

nightwing82 01-23-03 12:49 PM

Suddenly Susan

Timber 01-23-03 01:15 PM

Lois and Clark...failed after they got together.

Chew 01-23-03 01:18 PM

Originally posted by fujishig
I mean seriously, name any successful sitcom that hasn't had one.
Homeboys in Outer Space! :D

(not really a success and arguably a comedy, but........)

larryw 01-23-03 05:46 PM

Northern Exposure? (somewhat)

Chad 01-23-03 06:05 PM

Undeclared!

WiccanPagan 01-23-03 08:09 PM

Originally posted by LBPound
That stupid Good Morning, Miami show.
yer stepping on toes man, toes!!! :)

huzefa 01-23-03 11:15 PM

Did anyone see Good Morning Miami tonite? I had it on in the background and was sort of listening to it. That guy made a pros and cons list about the chick he pseudo-likes; didn't they do that in Friends already? And his con was "She's not Dylan"? WTF?

WiccanPagan 01-23-03 11:40 PM

Originally posted by huzefa
Did anyone see Good Morning Miami tonite? I had it on in the background and was sort of listening to it. That guy made a pros and cons list about the chick he pseudo-likes; didn't they do that in Friends already? And his con was "She's not Dylan"? WTF?
taping it as i type, will watch after er and respond then. ;)

DarthMarklar 01-24-03 01:48 PM

Originally posted by Tscott
Three's Company - Jack was gay, but he never hooked up with his "best friend" Larry. At least that what I think the show was about, but I may have misheard a conversation in one episode and gotten the wrong idea.
I guess everyone's too young to respond to this so my "old" self has gotta step in.

Jack Tripper only pretended to be gay so that the landlord would let him live with the 2 girls. He was never actually gay. :D

If you want some REAL gay irony, look at Fraiser. Niles is in LOVE with Daphnie and "Bulldog" is a womanizer...in real life, they are both gay.

GuessWho 01-24-03 01:56 PM

Originally posted by DarthMarklar
I guess everyone's too young to respond to this so my "old" self has gotta step in.
TSCOTT was making a JOKE!!!

This is obvious by him saying

I may have misheard a conversation in one episode and gotten the wrong idea
since "overhearing things and getting the wrong idea" is the basis for 75% of that show's plotlines