Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ed 1/22/03

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ed 1/22/03

i wanted to call this "the Ed Thread", but i figured i'd stick to tradition...

this week:
Spoiler:
Ed must defend Carol in the courtroom when something from her past comes back to haunt her.

sorry for the lame summary, but i'm just barely culling it from my memory.
i cannot believe nobody's started this thread yet, anyway...
-di doctor-
Old 01-22-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts
I was going to start it this morning. I decided to not post so early. Many people had been complaining. I was about to start the thread and saw yours. I can't wait till the show starts. Bring on Julie Bowen and Sabrina Lloyd!
Old 01-22-03, 05:58 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Can't wait for tonight's episode
(just hope I get off of work on time)
Old 01-22-03, 07:35 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
It's hilarious how they hyped up Carol's "big secret" last week when promoting this week's episode.

"Carol has a huge secret that will surprise you all --- she was hiding in the bushes."
Old 01-22-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This show would be pretty decent if they'd just get rid of that stupid guy that works in the bowling alley. Extreme bowling. He's there for nothing more than comic relief, yet his character is so over-the-top he's little more than an annoyance.
Old 01-22-03, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah Phil's character has been worn out. This week's episode was ok.
Old 01-22-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Phil's character has been worn out since about the third week.

Looks like a new love interest for Molls and Ed will be getting closer to his lawyer friend.
Old 01-22-03, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Yep, Carol (Julie Bowen) is still the sexiest woman on TV, imo.

Phil is okay to have around a couple of times a season - though, w/ the addition of Eli I was hoping they would get rid him.

Molly makes a stupid principle - I am sorry, but she does.
Old 01-22-03, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
Looks like a new love interest for Molls
You mean Biff?

When he was yelling at Molly, I was half-expecting him to knock on her head and say, "Hello, McFly? Anybody home?"

The $10 bet wasn't just an afterthought, but actually forwarded the storyline, showing how compatible Ed is with Frankie.

Honk!
Old 01-22-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Biff and Molly McFly. I think Frankie's boyfriend is made up or fake. Who works late at night on waterslides? I know they showed him and her at the bar, but it could have been someone she hired to play as her boyfriend to show Ed that he existed. Only three more episodes with Sabrina.
Old 01-22-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think frankie's "man at the bar" was just a friend. if you were to go back and rewatch the episode, frankie never explicitly says anything herself about him being her boyfriend.. plus, the way he talked with her was very unboyfriend talk. they seemed like good friends.. judging from all two lines the guy had..

they really should add her as a regular. or, at least, keep her on awhile. make her into a solid girlfriend for ed... and.. yeah.. whatever.. i'm going to shut up now.

phil is just substituting for warren, i think.. they can't really do a warren-based storyline without *i'm blanking on names right now, but you know exactly of whom i'm thinking*... since ** just had the operation (in show time - by show time i mean, when they were filming these episodes), i would expect him to be out for at least another episode.

good episode. disliked the phil bit as well. the actor who plays phil just seems like he's walking through his lines. he doesn't work for me.
-di doctor-
Old 01-23-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I couldn't believe that was Biff (Thomas F. Wilson)from BTTF until I checked IMDB. Hello, Molly! Hello, Molly! *Knock* *Knock* *Knock*

Overall, it was an average episode. The Phil subplot was just even more loonier than I had ever imagined.

The high school revenge/retribution angle would have been more tied to the WB's High School Reunion than an episode of Ed. I fully understand Carol's shame, though. I was probably guilty of that with one of my friends who I still maintain some semblance of regular contact over the years since.

The "Molly dealing with the geek victim" subplot was designed to run parallel with Carol's court case, but it wasn't as potent as it could have been.

Too little of Frankie!
Old 01-23-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can understand why we think Frankie's boyfriend isn't real but I can't think of any good reason why she would need or want to make Ed think that she wasn't single.

It was nice to see them center the plot a little bit on Molly and flesh her relationship with Carol out more.

Overall good episode, although the $10 bet at the end seemed a little forced.
Old 01-23-03, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I finally got to watch Ed in HDTV, and only now noticed this horizontal 2" long scar/line near Carols' left side of her nose. Has she always had this line on her face?
Old 01-23-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Patman
I couldn't believe that was Biff (Thomas F. Wilson)from BTTF until I checked IMDB. Hello, Molly! Hello, Molly! *Knock* *Knock* *Knock*

I forgot he was in that. When my wife saw him she said "Wasn't he a gym teacher on this show before?" I said no, he was a gym teacher on "Freaks and Geeks". F&G was a great show.
Old 01-23-03, 12:49 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Buford, oh yeah!

Poor Sabrina had 3-4 lines this episode
Old 01-23-03, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by tofu
Overall good episode, although the $10 bet at the end seemed a little forced.
i was thinking the same exact thing. the last 2 episodes were great, sabrina lloyd was amazing, however in this episode it seemed like they tried to force the character into liking ed. it seemed very unrealistic. especially her bad laugh at the cheesecake (so not funny). they could have done this much better. big ups to the writers for wasting an excellent actress in a lame episode.
Old 01-23-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by WiccanPagan
i was thinking the same exact thing. the last 2 episodes were great, sabrina lloyd was amazing, however in this episode it seemed like they tried to force the character into liking ed. it seemed very unrealistic. especially her bad laugh at the cheesecake (so not funny). they could have done this much better. big ups to the writers for wasting an excellent actress in a lame episode.
Agreed. I thought why is she laughing at that. It's lame and unfunny.
Old 01-23-03, 08:32 PM

Cheswick!!!! Where are you?!!!

I got a feva...and the only prescription is more Cheswick! (or in this case, any cheswick).

Decent episode, nonetheless. Phil's subplots are weak, and always have been. Ed's quirky enough as it is.
Old 01-23-03, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cheswick must be busy w/the girl and big guy. Maybe they're in the OR for his stomach staple.

I didn't read a thread about b4. Did you guys think it was a little farfetched when they cooked that fancy meal for their friend? There was probably $500 in food at the least. I know it's TV, but come on.
Old 01-23-03, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
Cheswick must be busy w/the girl and big guy. Maybe they're in the OR for his stomach staple.

I didn't read a thread about b4. Did you guys think it was a little farfetched when they cooked that fancy meal for their friend? There was probably $500 in food at the least. I know it's TV, but come on.
the white truffle shavings alone could have costed $500 depending on the weight.