Reload this Page >

Gillian Anderson: British??

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-26-02, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 287 Likes on 210 Posts

I recently caught Gillan Anderson on BBC's "So Graham Norton" and to my shock, was sporting a British accent. Graham made a comment to which Anderson responded that she was born in America but raised in England. And that she loses her accent when she's in America for long periods at a time but regains it when she returns "home". It was just so weird hearing her with an accent. However, in today's USAToday, there's a small article (in Life) on U.S. babes who go for British blokes. And Anderson was mentioned. Hmmm. Guess USAToday didn't know she was British either
Old 12-26-02, 04:38 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Similiar to Mel Gibson, born in America but moved to Australia as a child. Although his accent is barely noticeable nowadays.

What's really weird is hearing Ted Koppel speaking in his original British accent.
Old 12-26-02, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
Similiar to Mel Gibson, born in America but moved to Australia as a child. Although his accent is barely noticeable nowadays.

What's really weird is hearing Ted Koppel speaking in his original British accent.
Wow, that is weird! When has he done that? I've seen Nightline a gazillion times as well as interviews with him and have never heard this. Does he go back "home" as well for long periods at a time?

And yeah, I knew Mel Gibson was born a Yank. He still lives in Australia though. Funny how his accent is all but gone.
Old 12-26-02, 04:47 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
In the interview I saw with Koppel, he said that he's completely free of his British accent and that he never uses it at home, travelling, etc. But he CAN use it on demand if he wants, and he gave a little sample for the interviewer. Koppel has such a classic "newscaster" voice that it was odd to here anything else coming from him.
Old 12-26-02, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know about "raised" in Britain...I was under the impression that she was from Grand Rapids, MI - A few friends of mine knew her then when she was kind of a punk rocker.....i've seen pics somewhere.....

Edit to add:
Gillian, pronounced Jill'-ee-un,was born on August 9, 1968 in Chicago, IL, to Ed and Rosemary Anderson and is one of 3 children. She lived in Puerto Rico, and then in London, so her father could attend a film school there (Her family still owns a flat there).At age 11 she moved to Grand Rapids, Michigan, where she attended elementary and then high school. She then moved to Chicago where she went to college at Depaul University.
http://www.netglimse.com/celebs/bio/...anderson.shtml

Sounds like she may have lived there for a few years as a kid, but hardly 'raised' there.....
Old 12-26-02, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So let's see...born in the U.S., spent a few years in the U.K. as a kid, then moved to Michigan? Uh-huh...not British. Apparently USA Today knows a little bit more about Gillian than Daytripper.
Old 12-27-02, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
What's infuriatingly grating is hearing Nicole Kidman talk in her natural voice. She sounds like a hick. A beautiful, glamorous, moderately talented, and incredibly wealthy hick.
Old 12-27-02, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Numanoid
So let's see...born in the U.S., spent a few years in the U.K. as a kid, then moved to Michigan? Uh-huh...not British. Apparently USA Today knows a little bit more about Gillian than Daytripper.
Hey, I was just being wise acre. Besides, I didn't know the woman's bio until the posts above. USAToday certainly didn't say she lived in Michigan for a while. I was just going by what the woman said herself. I didn't know until now she was a pretentious liar
Old 12-27-02, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Daytripper
Hey, I was just being wise acre. Besides, I didn't know the woman's bio until the posts above. USAToday certainly didn't say she lived in Michigan for a while. I was just going by what the woman said herself. I didn't know until now she was a pretentious liar
Are you sure it wasn't madonna?

Spoiler:
pics?
Old 12-27-02, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TeeSeeJay
Are you sure it wasn't madonna?

Spoiler:
pics?
You know, I *almost* referenced Madonna in my last response. With something like "Did Gillian and Madonna go to the same school?" Heh.

You know, Sandra Bernhard still rags on Madonna in her live act about her suddenly becoming British. When she excepted her Golden Golden for "Evita" that is. She gave a better performance making that exceptance speech than in here whole acting career. Not hard to do, I know.
Old 12-27-02, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hlight=Gillian
Old 12-27-02, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw that episode of So Graham NOrton. It wigged me out a bit to hear her speak in an accent.

Speaking of which, I work with a chick from England. Most of the time she speaks with a fake american accent (been in this country at least 15 years), but once in a while her accent slips through. I should ask her why she doesn't speak in her british accent because it's an oddly cool one from up north.
Old 12-27-02, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,785 Likes on 1,114 Posts
Liz Taylor and Bob Hope were born in England too.
Old 12-28-02, 11:31 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<small>
Originally posted by mllefoo
I saw that episode of So Graham Norton. It wigged me out a bit to hear her speak in an accent.
</small>Did they show the bit about the lesbian phrasebook where GA was supposed to read something (I wont say what) in German but she "accidentally" read out the Engllish version in a cod German accent....? I don't usually watch the show but I tuned in for GA and was well-rewarded with that little slip!<small>

Speaking of which, I work with a chick from England. Most of the time she speaks with a fake american accent (been in this country at least 15 years), but once in a while her accent slips through. I should ask her why she doesn't speak in her british accent because it's an oddly cool one from up north.
</small>Liverpool? Manchester? Newcastle? Yorkshire?

NB) Gillian Anderson was on another UK chat show around this time and she explained that she tends to slip into her English accent: it isn't really a conscious thing.

A schoolfriend of my brother has been living in the States for the last 5-6 years and seems to have developed a mod-Atlantic accent which is quite weird to hear on the phone. Maybe it is to do with his Alaskan wife <small>
Originally posted by Giantrobo
Liz Taylor and Bob Hope were born in England too. </small>
.... and Stan Laurel and Cary Grant and Charlie Chaplin.
Old 12-29-02, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you are exposed to different languages and dialects before you hit puberty, it's much easier to learn and converse in those languages/dialects. This is probably what happened to Gillian.
Old 12-29-02, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

She's also Jewish.
Old 12-30-02, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't open this link. What does it say? Is it a similar discussion?
Old 01-02-03, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah...mine...the ORIGINAL "Is Gillian Anderson British?" thread, thank you very much.

By the way, the link is fine, you're not fooling anybody.