Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Jimmy Kimmel Live! (ABC)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jimmy Kimmel Live! (ABC)

Old 02-18-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can someone please tell me why i cant catch this show?!? everytime i think it's on, at midnight right, i cant find it. what network is it? do all affiliates carry it? the first and second week we would try to find it and never could so we gave up. i've put a couple of posts up before but haven't gotten any responses. thanks!
Old 02-18-03, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by hgar78
can someone please tell me why i cant catch this show?!? everytime i think it's on, at midnight right, i cant find it. what network is it? do all affiliates carry it? the first and second week we would try to find it and never could so we gave up. i've put a couple of posts up before but haven't gotten any responses. thanks!
The show is on ABC, but not all ABC affiliates are airing it. There was an article in the Washington Post a few weeks ago saying that the DC affiliate will not be airing it.
Old 02-18-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
notcie that I couldn't watch it down in florida when I was their either. oh well
Old 02-18-03, 06:06 PM

I thought it was an OK show last night. It started a half hour late for me too, watching on WABC NY. Does anybody know of a website that lists future guests and future co-hosts?
Old 02-19-03, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
holy schnikies...."Nut Valet" had me I can't believe they got away with that!!!!
Old 02-19-03, 07:46 AM
Banned

Originally posted by brizz
holy schnikies...."Nut Valet" had me I can't believe they got away with that!!!!
Please give details. I tried to watch last night, but I decided that my sleep was more important than Jamie Kennedy.
Old 02-19-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by CTGuyInTX
The show is on ABC, but not all ABC affiliates are airing it. There was an article in the Washington Post a few weeks ago saying that the DC affiliate will not be airing it.
thanks for the info! i reallly thought i was losing my mind trying to find it. that sucks though, i guess it's too much for the uptight majority here! they spoil everyone's fun!!
Old 02-19-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
was the bit about the underwear real? i mean, jamie kennedy has got to be majorly f-ed up, if that's the case...

i can't believe that garofolo wasn't completely creeped out.. that whole bit was just too f-ed up for me..
-di doctor-
Old 02-20-03, 12:57 PM
Banned

It was good to see Bob and David on last night. Man, Jimmy's bit with the announcers hair was painfully unfunny. What was he thinking??
Old 02-20-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

still isn't as good as when kathy griffin was on IMO. but at least this week is better than the adam corolla week.
Old 02-20-03, 03:31 PM
Mod Emeritus

"Both have shows about Elanor Roosevelt in Branson."

Those guys should co-host together, the only time there was life in the show was when they were out there. Garofalo and Jimmy were just dead.
Old 02-20-03, 03:33 PM

I think Janeane was disturbed about the underwear bit. At first she thought it was a pranks (Its not like Jamie's never pulled a prank before) but as she realized he was serious, she seemed creeped out.

D
Old 02-20-03, 03:36 PM

Does Garofolo try to pay homage to Lenny Bruce and Andy Kaufman by challenging her audience patience, or is she just not funny?

I can't help but think that every time I see her on the boob tube.
Old 02-20-03, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think Kaiju Big Battel is going to be on tonight. I've seen them live. It's quite an experience.

Old 02-20-03, 04:44 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 124 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally posted by AXP 103
Does Garofolo try to pay homage to Lenny Bruce and Andy Kaufman by challenging her audience patience, or is she just not funny?
I think it's the show. I thought it was a bad idea when I saw she was the cohost. I figured Jimmy and her wouldn't have any chemistry together comedy wise since they're so different. I'm sure she's not a fan of the Man Show.
Old 02-21-03, 12:22 AM

I hear what you're saying MrX. I saw her on Colin Quinn's show on Comedy Central. Comedians were just flinging improper comments and she recoiled. I remember wondering why she was on, if she wasn't going to follow the theme of the show.
Old 02-21-03, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Garofolo reminds me of that activist chick in HS who couldn't get laid so she'd fight whatever cause she could to get into the public eye. The type that would always ramble on and on about her opinions in class when everyone else was thinking "damn, won't this bitch ever shut up?"
Old 02-21-03, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Man, I just love how Jimmy is pretty much bashing Trista and Ryan.
Old 02-21-03, 03:26 AM
Mod Emeritus

Eh, that wasn't that funny. More just mean-spirited and "did he just say that?". Howard Stern does that schtick a lot better IMO.

Weak show tonight, the only saving moment was Emmanuelle Lewis and that chick putting his face in her boobs.
Old 02-21-03, 03:27 AM
Mod Emeritus

Anyone think Jimmy's family is not funny at all? I think he needs to drop this bit.
Old 02-21-03, 09:53 AM

The monster wrestlers were great. When the baked potato guy did a senton bomb off the top of the cage (while holding a bomb!) I marked out. Then 2 splashes off the cage. Great stuff.

They should get a show, I'd watch.

D
Old 02-21-03, 12:45 PM

As a big Grateful Dead and Bill Walton fan, I couldn't get enough. It was funny how Jimmy couldn't grasp the concept that Bill, as I do, can love their music without being zonked out of your mind.

The show's two biggest problems are sort of intertwined:

1) Jimmy is still finding his groove as a host/interviewer. This is not a natural talent, and takes time to develop the skill of getting good segments out of even the least interesting of guests.

Hopefully he finds it. It's no guarentee (See Miller, Dennis).

2) It's live. A great idea, but it puts the show in the tough spot of not being able to brush up any flubs and flaws. It took SNL years until it found it's machine like strategy for a weekly show (Say what you will about the show right now, but the problems it has are not from the creative process it uses). This falls on the producers to keep tinkering and tweaking until they put Jimmy and the guests in a position to perform on a nightly basis.

I like how he is willing to chat up not just the schedueled guests, but also the comedians and bands. If they can refine their ideas, ABC may have a winner.

I'd give this show at least 2 years before thinking of pulling the plug. It's not like they can just go out and higher someone who is more talented for less money. Why not give him and the show a saftey net for the time being.
Old 02-21-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by AXP 103
Why not give him and the show a saftey net for the time being.
Unfortunately, ABC is one of the major networks for which "safety net" is a foreign concept.
Old 02-21-03, 01:34 PM

Agreed.

This would be as good a time as any to deviate from their norm. They have already spent time and energy getting the word out, they would just continue their circular pattern of starting and canceling shows if they don't give the show time/
Old 02-21-03, 03:18 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 124 Likes on 92 Posts
I hope Jimmy can get Lorenzo Lamas to come on. That would be a great ep just because Jimmy hates him so much.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.