DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Jimmy Kimmel Live! (ABC) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/257712-jimmy-kimmel-live-abc.html)

GuessWho 01-27-03 12:27 PM

Remember: Conan bombed at the beginning too, now, he's the fave of many.

We can't judge after 1 show.

G. Noel Gross 01-27-03 01:24 PM

I guess simply CALLING the show "Jimmy Kimmel Live" wasn't sufficiant to convience the affiliates. Really expected Kimmel to shake the format up more. Band. Desk. Three guests. Musical act. But I'm too big a fan to bail just yet.

Anyone have video online of his "Goodbye Cable" bit? I hear it's great.

Norm de Plume 01-27-03 01:50 PM

The Koppel bit at the beginning was classic, but Kimmel is about as funny as a bee sting. They cancelled P.I. for this dross?

freedexter 01-27-03 05:08 PM

Originally posted by Norm de Plume
They cancelled P.I. for this dross?
Actually, they cancelled P.I. for a different reason. They needed some to replace it, since ABC is pretty much a loser in the late night division, and this is what they came up with.

El Scorcho 01-27-03 06:49 PM

And the PI cancellation is something to complain about? :lol:

Hi, I'm Bill Maher and I'm going to force feed you my opinion about [topic] tonight.

Buford T Pusser 01-27-03 10:17 PM

Originally posted by the aftermath
I'm surprised they're allowed to say 'cock'.
If it's good enough for the DVD Talk censor, it's good enough for late night tv.

effigy 01-27-03 10:34 PM

Jimmy Kimmel Live [01.27.03]

Guests: The Rock, Al Micheals, & 50 Cent (Plus, Snoop Dogg is co host for the week.. ugh).

Lets see if I finally get the show tonight ..

Norm de Plume 01-27-03 11:55 PM

Originally posted by freedexter
Actually, they cancelled P.I. for a different reason. They needed some to replace it, since ABC is pretty much a loser in the late night division, and this is what they came up with.
I know why P.I. was cancelled. I meant that ABC should have maybe come with something other than another celebrity chat show, especially one with a host who's completely out of his element. Well, I guess it's the natural progression/regression. Yet another zero to watch (or not) on TV, along with all the Bachelor/ettes, Bob Millionaires, Osbournes, Survivors, Moles, whatever. The deification of vacuousness and grotesquerie.

monkeyboy 01-28-03 02:51 AM

Definitely a better outting tonight. You gotta love Al Michaels. He's up for anything and is always a great guest.

But what's up with Disney? They already pulled the alcohol off the show because a guy threw up in the audience. With that kind of attidude, how long before the show gets dropped or dumbed down to the point where Kimmel just gets frustrated?

WhattheFFF 01-28-03 03:03 AM

excellent episode tonight, the snow was very funny & the al michaels 50 cent duet was classic

Rogue588 01-28-03 04:00 AM

Guess the west coast got a different version than I did.

It put me to sleep during the Rock's interview. Not that I think I missed anything [not being a fan of 50 Cent or familiar with Michaels].

Since Dave's in repeats this week, i'll give Jimmy 4 more days.

At least until 12:35a when Conan's on.

Jackskeleton 01-28-03 04:04 AM

The real problem is that Jimmy goes into Conan. grrr.

Blaster1 01-28-03 04:11 AM

Am i getting the show on tape delay, because it didn't start until 11:35pm, which is the same time as Conan.

B.A. 01-28-03 06:46 AM

Originally posted by Blaster1
Am i getting the show on tape delay, because it didn't start until 11:35pm, which is the same time as Conan.
That's how it is here in St. Louis, too. Conan is on directly after Leno (finally, for years Springer would come on after Leno and before Conan) and Jimmy is on directly after ABC World News - all of these come on after your local news, which ABC in St. Louis doesn't have anymore.

I like Jimmy sometimes, but in my book he is going to have to put out some quality stuff to get me to watch him over Conan, who consistently has the best writing on late night TV, imo.

Red Dog 01-28-03 09:28 AM

Originally posted by RMSpuhler
DC and seven other ABC stations under the same ownership group did not get Kimmel - not because they think that the syndies running there now get better ratings, but because the Mouse is controlling much of the ad revenue during Kimmel, rather than the affiliates controlling (more of) the ad revenue during the syndicated programing.

I shake my fist at both of you.

RS

I hate Channel 7 in DC. Between screwing up the Super Bowl HD feed and not airing Kimmel, they are trying really hard to piss off viewers.

gr8fuldave 01-28-03 09:56 AM

I watch the first 30 minutes or so of Jimmy, then watch Conan, then watch the last thirty of Jimmy on tape.

SpaceBoy 01-28-03 12:37 PM

I'll give Jimmy the rest of the week too. So far not impressed at all. Seems to be gag-dependant. I mean that snow thing was unfunny after about 30 seconds, and the doll thing, was even dumber.

Also, what's the deal with Jimmy talking to snoop more then the guests even. Even during interviews, he just talks to snoop most he time. I thought Rock seemed a bit po'd about the way the show went, and that's the rock, not a real celebrity. haha

The al michaels & 50 cent thing was funny. Am I the only one that couldnt' understand a word 50 cent was saying.. yet could when he rapped, odd.

Also, dont understand how everybody can laugh so hard about that guy getting shot again and stuff. I mean, it'll prob happen, what's funny about that.

monkeyboy 01-28-03 01:18 PM

Kimmel certainly isn't a gifted interviewer. He's a great at making smart-ass comments, but he misses a lot of great opportunities in his interviews. He doesn't seem to have any logical line of questioning, just kind of throws random questions out, then doesn't let the guest answer completely before he makes a comment about booze or snoop or something. He kept talking over the Rock last night to the point that it looked like the Rock was getting a little annoyed. Or maybe it was just the obnoxious snow in his face. I still enjoyed the show, but it definitely needs some work.

icondude 01-28-03 01:39 PM

I want to see Jimmy back on The Man Show after this bombs.

LaxBandit 01-28-03 01:50 PM

Originally posted by MFRONE
WSYX believes Seinfeld reruns, which are at least the 5th time of the day they are re-airing will draw higher ratings than Jimmy Kimmel Live and so they aren't bothering to show it ever. West Virginia can't see it either as they think Entertainment Tonight will have better ratings. I don't know what ABC was thinking with this show especially if the majority of the country won't be airing it. Go to the Jimmy Kimmel Live site on abc.com and check out the message boards, Buffalo, Tulsa, CT, Columbus, WV and a whole slew of cities aren't even showing this program. What a waste of money to advertise and then have some idiot program director not let an entire city of a million people watch a new show.
LB: Re-Buffalo, NY-we got the premiere show of "Jimmy Kimmel LIVE". It aired around 12:35 am-after the local news. "George Michaels Sports Machine" which usually airs after the local news on Sundays, aired after "Jimmy Kimmel LIVE".

MrX 01-29-03 12:01 AM

This is for the 1-28-03 show.

He wasn't kidding when he said he couldn't get guests. I don't remember Conan's early guests being this bad. His guests were Tammy Faye, Robin Alexis, and Jimmy's uncle Frank.

rfduncan 01-29-03 03:01 PM

Antics gone slightly awry....

http://salon.com/ent/wire/2003/01/29/kimmel/index.html

wb3032 01-29-03 03:48 PM

Originally posted by monkeyboy
Kimmel certainly isn't a gifted interviewer. He's a great at making smart-ass comments, but he misses a lot of great opportunities in his interviews. He doesn't seem to have any logical line of questioning, just kind of throws random questions out, then doesn't let the guest answer completely before he makes a comment about booze or snoop or something. He kept talking over the Rock last night to the point that it looked like the Rock was getting a little annoyed. Or maybe it was just the obnoxious snow in his face. I still enjoyed the show, but it definitely needs some work.
Exactly right.

cineman 01-29-03 05:28 PM

For those of us who are in cities where Jimmy Kimmel Live is not being shown.........I wrote my local ABC affiliate and received this explanation:

"It is a legal issue between our parent company and ABC and that prevents KTUL from carrying the Jimmy Kimmel Show at this time. We had hoped it would be resolved before the show's premeire as it would save our employees a lot of headaches, but unfortunately it was not. Allbritton is currently working to resolve this situation and we hope we will be able to carry the Jimmy Kimmel Show in the future. Hence, we have in the paid program and Cheers, for now. Those are easily removed from our schedule, if and when we are able to carry Jimmy Kimmel."

darkside 01-29-03 08:41 PM

It comes on at 1:30 AM in San Antonio. They show infomercials and other junk first.

People in this city don't like "talk" shows. Dave is delayed 30 minutes for Friends reruns.

Did I mention San Antonio is full of morons. Well it is.