Reload this Page >

Jimmy Kimmel Live! (ABC)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jimmy Kimmel Live! (ABC)

Old 11-03-17, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: Will Jimmy Kimmel retire in 2019?

I hope Kimmel does retire since he jumped on the Partisan Political Bandwagon. (I actually used to like Kimmel as he kind of stayed out of the partisan politican BS). I prefer the Johnny Carson Political Humor where you make fun of all Political Parties (I'm a Republican and he used to kill Dan Quayle every night but it was funny), and don't make political speeches on issues either. If you want to get political opinion, I will watch Cable News or Nightline for that.
Old 11-03-17, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 842 Likes on 709 Posts

I think in Kimmel's case it's a desperate grab for ratings. Kimmel is trying to please his bosses at ABC as this would be the time network executives would start thinking about going in another direction with late night.
Old 11-04-17, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Having a newborn son nearly die from a heart condition will change your outlook on a lot of things. Dave got super political after his son Harry was born. Actually, come to think of it, it started with 9/11. But having his son definitely made Dave more outspoken on political issues.

Of course, I'm sure the ratings boost has something to do with it as well. Let's face it, Trump's an easy target.
Old 11-04-17, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,123 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I hope Kimmel does retire since he jumped on the Partisan Political Bandwagon. (I actually used to like Kimmel as he kind of stayed out of the partisan politican BS). I prefer the Johnny Carson Political Humor where you make fun of all Political Parties (I'm a Republican and he used to kill Dan Quayle every night but it was funny), and don't make political speeches on issues either. If you want to get political opinion, I will watch Cable News or Nightline for that.
I don't watch Kimmel but I do see the clips where he talks about health care.

Maybe you don't know what it means to be partisan, but I don't recall Kimmel ever promoting support for the Democratic party.
Old 11-04-17, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 618 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
ABC in my mind does not exist since they don't carry the NFL and have no idea what airs on their network.
Proud'a ya.
Old 08-12-21, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 404 Likes on 288 Posts
re: Jimmy Kimmel Live! (ABC)

Some of you might be interested to know Sarrah Silverman is guest hosting for two nights this week, last night and tonight. She did a pretty good job last night.
Old 08-12-21, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,418 Likes on 4,389 Posts
re: Jimmy Kimmel Live! (ABC)

Wow. I wouldn't ask my ex-girlfriend to house-sit for me. Glad that they are still on good terms.

The Killers play live tonight. I want to record that.
Old 08-12-21, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 759 Likes on 619 Posts
Re: Jimmy Kimmel Live! (ABC)

I hope he never comes back and they replace him with one of the guest hosts
Old 06-03-22, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Could this be the end?

I kind of liked him more when did that joke of switching shows with Fallon on April Fools Day.

It would be another late night shuffle with him and Corden leaving.

Guess Conan would have no interest in joining ABC.

Jimmy Kimmel is thinking very seriously about his future in late-night television.

Kimmel, 54, revealed he has considered ending his long-running namesake series, Jimmy Kimmel Live!, during an appearance on Variety's Awards Circuit podcast.

At this time, Kimmel's contract with ABC ends in 2023, which has prompted Kimmel to ponder his next steps.

"I wish I knew I was gonna do," he admitted. "I have moments where I go, 'I cannot do this anymore.' And I have moments where I go, 'What am I gonna do with my life if I'm not doing this anymore?' It's a very complicated thing. And there are practical considerations, and there are family and friend considerations and coworker considerations."

Kimmel continued, "Eventually, I am going to have to stop doing this. I'm not going to do this forever. I would not be honest at all if I said that I have decided one way or the other. I'm thinking about it a lot, though."
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...183441559.html
Old 09-21-22, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

‘Jimmy Kimmel Live’ Renewed For Three More Years, Through Season 23, on ABC
Old 09-21-22, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,358 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Cool, out of the two Jimmys this is the one I actually like.
The following users liked this post:
B.A. (09-22-22)
Old 11-08-22, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He is going to host the 2023 Oscars

Guess ABC wants to save money by hiring their own talent.

Old 11-08-22, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why would they have to pay him less because he already has a show on ABC versus what they would pay another host/comedian?
He has contract and gets paid to make his talk show. He doesn't have to do anything else for ABC that he doesn't want to do, especially after 20 years.
Old 11-08-22, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,418 Likes on 4,389 Posts

After the last two years, all I have to say is "Welcome back!".
Old 11-10-22, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was hoping they would get a actor or actress.

Jeff Goldblum if he was interested?

If they want a talk show host Conan would be a better choice.
Old 11-10-22, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was hoping they would get a actor or actress.

Jeff Goldblum if he was interested?

If they want a talk show host Conan would be a better choice.
The reason they rarely use a straight-up actor or actress (compared to someone with stand-up experience) is that they would be completely reliant on the show's producers to put together their "act" by hiring the writing team for them.

Apart from their own ability, comedians are already plugged into a network that they can call on to write their jokes. Jimmy Kimmel already has a staff of writers in place to help him.
Old 11-10-22, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Plus with a live show like this, they need a host who can think on their feet in case unexpected things happen. A comic or a talk show host is much better equipped for that than most actors.
Old 11-11-22, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe but Billy Crystal, Steve Martin, Alec Baldwin. and Hugh Jackman were not complete disasters and even though he is a comedian Chris Rock was not bad either.
Old 11-12-22, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock
Plus with a live show like this, they need a host who can think on their feet in case unexpected things happen. A comic or a talk show host is much better equipped for that than most actors.
Maybe but Billy Crystal, Steve Martin, Alec Baldwin. and Hugh Jackman were not complete disasters and even though he is a comedian Chris Rock was not bad either.
Crystal, Martin, and Rock are among the most accomplished stand-up comedians of their generations.
Old 11-12-22, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bur nobody remembers Martin and Crystal as stand ups anymore since that was a long time ago
Old 11-12-22, 08:44 PM
Premium Member

Received 733 Likes on 482 Posts

Bur nobody remembers Martin and Crystal as stand ups anymore since that was a long time ago
Uh, Steve Martin still tours successfully (and with Martin Short). He has been for quite a while. Billy was also until Covid times. You are nuts if you think nobody remembers them as stand ups.
The following users liked this post:
Count Dooku (11-13-22)
Old 11-13-22, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock
Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Crystal, Martin, and Rock are among the most accomplished stand-up comedians of their generations.
So your opinion is that because Steve Martin and Billy Crystal are better known in 2022 as actors, they no longer possess the talent and abilities that made them superstars as comedians?

I agree with your initial point that there are many straight-up film actors that could do a wonderful job as host, but it's going to be a big risk for them stepping outside their comfort zone, and A LOT of work for almost no reward. And without a track record of them as live performers, what confidence is there that they just won't completely suck. Look at DeNiro, greatest film actor in Hollywood, but he is a godawful live performer.

And as I previously said, hiring a Jimmy Kimmel or an Ellen DeGeneres puts the responsibility for creating the content on the host. They are going to assemble their own team of writers to write the jokes and bits. If the producers get a Jeff Goldblum to host, they have dumped the responsibility for coming up with whatever he is going to say and do on themselves. He's not going to write a monologue, and he does not have a bunch of comedy writers ready to work for weeks and weeks writing one for him.
Old 11-13-22, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
So your opinion is that because Steve Martin and Billy Crystal are better known in 2022 as actors, they no longer possess the talent and abilities that made them superstars as comedians?
Yeah, they most certainly do still possess the abilities to handle a spontaneous, live show, pretty sure that's not something you would lose just because you become an actor as well. And personally, I will always think of Martin and Crystal as comics first who later became movie actors, as I first saw them on TV as stand ups back in the 70's (yes I'm old )
Old 11-15-22, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It is boring when Kimmel hosts and you can get his comedy 5 days a week and nothing new or special.

I liked it when they try different hosts and if some of them bomb move one and find another person.
Old 11-30-23, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is rare when your competitor in the same time slot appears on your show as a musical guest.

Fallon had the week off so maybe that made it possible?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.