Reload this Page >

Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-11-02, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone else watching this show. Last night I found the first two segments to be somewhat funny, but the last one with Colin just talking to the little girl had me rolling on the floor. I really hope Comedy Central doesn't pull the plug on this one. It really has a lot of potential. I especially loved his question, "Isn't it weird that we celebrate the the birth of our Lord and Savior by taking 25% off a George Foreman Grill?".
Old 12-11-02, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's on my TiVo ... gotta take a look at it after work. The Colin Quinn Show was incredibly funny, but way too intelligent for NBC. I dunno if this is the same style, but hopefully his comedy can find life on Comedy Central. He doesn't fit that well into established things like SNL, but when you let him run wild, he can be damn funny.

das
Old 12-11-02, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll take a look. Hopefully Cheri Oteri will make a few appearances,too.

D
Old 12-11-02, 12:13 PM

It is a lot like the NBC Colin Quinn show. I also agree that it has potential, and hope they give it a fair chance to find an audience.
Old 12-11-02, 12:56 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts
I thought it was ok. The last segment was the best, when the one guy at the end went off on Rosie O'Donnell I almost fell off my couch I was laughing so hard.
Old 12-11-02, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is this on every night? If so what time?
Old 12-11-02, 03:09 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally posted by teddydogg
Is this on every night? If so what time?
It's getting a trail run of 8 episodes I think, which is 2 weeks on comedy central since they have something else on Friday night. It's on after the daily show at night at 11:30EST.
Old 12-11-02, 10:37 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never thought Colin Quinn was funny, but I was going to give this show a chance. Then in the opening of the first episode he insulted the wittiest show on TV, Gilmore Girls. That was enough for me to flip it to Letterman.
Old 12-11-02, 10:55 PM

I'm checking this out right now. It's not the greatest show ever, but not too bad. Tomorrow could be a great night to watch if you're curious to try it. Jerry Seinfeld, and Stiller are going to be on Thursday night
Old 12-12-02, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a great premise, and i like the comic 'peanut gallery', but why on earth to they continue to let Colin Quinn to be on tv? He as the absolutle worse delivery in the history of television....is CONSTANTLY tripping over words and always messing up his jokes. He is, in a word, awkward. Get a good host, and this show will be the next politically incorrect - only funny
Old 12-12-02, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by brizz
It's a great premise, and i like the comic 'peanut gallery', but why on earth to they continue to let Colin Quinn to be on tv? He as the absolutle worse delivery in the history of television....is CONSTANTLY tripping over words and always messing up his jokes. He is, in a word, awkward. Get a good host, and this show will be the next politically incorrect - only funny
I agree with his awkwardness. How many times does he finish an unfunny joke with "I mean, come on folks", followed by a blank stare?
Old 12-12-02, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think this show is hilarious, it's like a funny PI. I do think they try to do too many segments in 1/2 hour

Last edited by WhattheFFF; 12-12-02 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-12-02, 03:32 PM

I actually saw the episode that Mittman is referring to in person when it was being taped on Monday night. I still wish i could get that 1 hour of my life back. It was such a waste of time. Colin did nothing all night but read off the teleprompter (in the shortest amount of time possible)... especially during that little girl skit. After 5 minutes of figuring out what the show would be like, Janeane Garofalo did NOT want to be there. In fact, after one of the dumb comments made by the other three (who are you guys, by the way??), she yelled out "I am TOTALLY on the wrong show!" and hid her face in her hands... They obviously edit that comment off the show.

I've never thought that Colin was any good. That's the last time i ever take free tickets to see him... I skipped out on the free tickets I had for Wednesday night also. The only good thing is that they only were signed to 8 episodes and I'd be HIGHLY surprised if it went any further than that.

Darq

P.S. What was the deal on SNL with Colin doing MONOLOGUES before Weekend Update? I never understood that.
Old 12-12-02, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by MrX
I thought it was ok. The last segment was the best, when the one guy at the end went off on Rosie O'Donnell I almost fell off my couch I was laughing so hard.
I believe you are referring to Jimmy Norton. I actually saw his infamous show in Red Bank, NJ which any Opie and Anthony or Ron and Fez fans will instantly know what I'm talking about. He's really hilarious, but I guess a little too controversial for a lot of people. You should check out his shows if you're not easily offended.
Old 12-13-02, 08:23 AM

The show is hit or miss for me. Mr. Seinfeld and the lovely Ms. Silverman provided some great moments last night, though.

I'll keep watching it to see who he has on, but Colin really does suck in the role of a host/MC.
Old 12-13-02, 09:23 AM

I missed the 1st few minutes of the show last night, but agree that Sarah Silverman and Jerry were both pretty good. The one on one interview with Sarah was great as was the advice at the end from all 5 people (yes that includes Colin).

Sarah: "Oh, and never say 'chink' on TV...
Spoiler:
unless you want your career to skyrocket!!!"

Old 12-13-02, 10:10 AM

also from Sarah:
Spoiler:
Other kids only make fun of you because your hairy Jew-arms are totally cool!
Old 12-13-02, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
also from Sarah:
Spoiler:
Other kids only make fun of you because your hairy Jew-arms are totally cool!
Saw this last night. when she said that. The bit with Colin and Sarah talking about the "Middle East" was pretty funny as well. If he was good guests on, this show is well worthwhile.
Old 12-13-02, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Sara Silverman is one of the funniest women in America....certainly not pc, but absolutely hilarious. The 'special olympics' joke had me rolling on the floor. They should kick Colin's non-funny ass off the show and make her the host - THEN we'd have something worth watching.

Otherwise, put her on my TV some other way dammit!!

Oh, and what was the film where she plays a foul mouthed girlfriend to a guy who gets his ass kicked because she's pushing him to fight someone? It was a street scene in something like 54/Summer of Sam or the like....set in the 70s or 80s maybe? Anyone?
Old 12-13-02, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by brizz
Oh, and what was the film where she plays a foul mouthed girlfriend to a guy who gets his ass kicked because she's pushing him to fight someone? It was a street scene in something like 54/Summer of Sam or the like....set in the 70s or 80s maybe? Anyone?
Way of the Gun - she was the best thing about that movie IMO. She's listed in the credits as 'Raving Bitch' in case you were wondering.
Old 12-17-02, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm loving this show. Colin is definitely awkward, but it doesn't bother me that much. The success of these episodes hinges on the guests, though. As long as they can keep it fresh, I'd watch every night. And I agree ... Silverman may be the funniest woman in America. Her comedy is original, and her delivery is flawless. The "chink" remark had me

das