Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Boston Public 11/25/02

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-02, 06:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boston Public 11/25/02

Decided to get an early start on this one.From the previews this episode looks good,hope it is.
Old 11-25-02, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

okay, good episode mostly, but that last scene was way over the top. First off, they probably wouldnt cuff him, and they wouldn't parade him down the hall where everyone just happened to come out and see him
Old 11-25-02, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to close my eyes in the end. That ending was brutal...not realistic at all.

Overall, the episode was good though. But I doubt a teacher would bring a dead body to class.
Old 11-25-02, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
The Younglings had story-lines, the Younglings had story-lines! I liked the show tonight - very funny and very serious - but the end was just too over the top - that would have waited until after school. And how were charges brought against him? the racist daddy was in a coma and Harper clearly stated he acted in self-defense.
Old 11-25-02, 08:41 PM

Received 804 Likes on 523 Posts
... first time since the pilot that I watched this show... D.E. Kelley has lost it.

But I did like Joey's impersonation of Finkle... or Lipshitz or what ever his name is. lol
Old 11-25-02, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Way. Way. Way. Over the top.

The entire ending -- ridiculous.
Someone please send the younglings back to the grammar school they came from...

Best moment -- Harvey kickin' ass and taking names. Now that's the kind of teacher we need.
Old 11-25-02, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think that most of this episode seemed very implausible. I didn't believe the fight between the black and white student over AA. I certainly didn't believe the dead body being brought in, let alone draged around the school. I didn't believe the making out between the teachers. This wasn't all that great of an episode.
Old 11-25-02, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Danny had some good lines, and so did Harvey.

The betting pool as funny.

The whole racism angle was a BTDT theme.

The new teacher needs to go.

I barely remember the younglings names.

Having Stephen do the perp walk was over the top.

Ronnie was looking good in this episode.
Old 11-25-02, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

About halfway into this...I'm thinking, "Whoa!" I agree with the sentiment about this episode being over-the-top, seriously, it's almost sensationalistic.

The cadaver thing with whathisface sort of reminds me of Senate, which makes a whole lot of sense, now that a relationship between him and Ronnie started. Ugh.

Then again, I forget that it's November: one of the three months in which television characters fall in love, get married, have a kid, divorce, die, etc., all for the name of ratings.

And Harper...oh, please. I wonder how long they'll stretch out this whole storyline? It's so predictable. It probably would have fit better if the World Series didn't interfere with the shows, since the season would have begun earlier, thus leaving this cliffhanger to stretch all through Novebmer.

Well, at least "the younglings" actually something to do, other than sip coffee in the background.

Oh, and Marcie once again suprises me. Why is she always convienently in whatever class the storyline is in? It doesn't seem logical that she is always assisting Harper at one point, and is in the classes of the faculty featured? It's a minor problem, but I find it annoying.

Last edited by freedexter; 11-25-02 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-26-02, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Lipschultz' tirade was absolutely classic.

The arrest thing w/ Harper was totally over the top. No way they would arrest him, during the day, while school is in session. If they had to, they wouldn't cuff him.

Reading next weeks Tivo description gave away a spoiler that I don't know if it was in the preview or not.

Read the stuff below at your own risk. Has spoilers (and potential ones):

Spoiler:
The guy dies, so they charge Harper with murder. My guess is that Ronnie will defend him, at some point, in his criminal trial (if there is one). I think Harper even considers taking a plea agreement.
Old 11-26-02, 07:12 AM
Banned

I can't believe they arrested Harper.As soon as the racist guy went down i had a feeling they were gonna arrest Harper for it.The ending is the only problem i had with this episode.Lipshitz is the best character this year.He's had some funny as hell lines,especially in tonights episode.Man i loved that rant.The whole thing with Ronnie and the young teacher has got to go by the next episode.I just don't understand it is she interested in him or not.This needs to go.So far the episodes are getting better every week,next week i just can't bare to watch.Harper in chains.
Old 11-26-02, 07:20 AM
Mod Emeritus

During the first episodes of BP, I thought that it was often too unrealistic. Sadly, this has only become more and more true as time progresses. Throwing in some drama is expected, but things are just out of hand.
Old 11-26-02, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 389 Likes on 279 Posts
Well, as implausable as some parts were (Cadaver, Ronnie kissing the small fry etc) I thought this episode was better than this weeks Sopranos.
Old 11-26-02, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Best line: "If I'm going to have a relationship, it will be with someone closer to my age - and closer to my height."
Old 11-26-02, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

All I kept wanting was the CSI:Boston crew to come in and investigate. I mean, can't they tell the guy hit his head on the desk and not with the coat rack? Can't they tell from his wound that he fell downwards and was not struck with something? I think these CSI shows have caused me to be too critical of other shows and how they handle crime scenes.

The perp walk was way over the top.

I like Ronniwe with the short guy.

NKOTB guy finally had a storyline, and we finally know what subject he teaches: English.

What I want to know is: how many free hours do these teachers have a day? When I was in school, teachers were lucky to have one free hour for prep. But these teachers at Winslow have free hours to sit in on ther teachers classess, meet with the principals, and fill in for other teachers' classes. They always talk about a teaching "taking over" another's classes: well what about their own? They act like these teachers have only one class a day or something.
Old 11-26-02, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jadzia
All I kept wanting was the CSI:Boston crew to come in and investigate. I mean, can't they tell the guy hit his head on the desk and not with the coat rack? Can't they tell from his wound that he fell downwards and was not struck with something? I think these CSI shows have caused me to be too critical of other shows and how they handle crime scenes.

I thought the EXACT same thing. I told my friend about that and he told me I watch too much CSI.
Old 11-26-02, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally posted by TruGator
I thought the EXACT same thing. I told my friend about that and he told me I watch too much CSI.

Too much CSI for me plus Law & Order. I saw that he will already be on trial in next week's episode. The criminal justice system never works that fast (Law & Order is the only tv law drama that seems to realize this). I'm surprised that they are not doing another crossover with The Practice.
Old 11-26-02, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Red Dog
I'm surprised that they are not doing another crossover with The Practice.
Please, Red Dog, keep in mind that some in the industry roam these boards. Let's not give them any ideas. It is like pulling teeth each time that DEK shows try to collaborate.
Old 11-27-02, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"I had to close my eyes in the end. That ending was brutal...not realistic at all."

Have I missed something, I work within the legal industry and Im sorry, but THEY WOULD HAVE DONE THAT. Just because the students were shown leaving their classes does not make it unrealistic. They wanted to protray the cops as the "bad guys" and had their only response be "Im just following orders."

"But I doubt a teacher would bring a dead body to class."

Now someone has not been in a classroom for a while. With budgets such as they are if a physical science teacher can "pull a few strings" and get a "loaner" for their Anatomy class MORE POWER TO THEM.

This storyline with Harper will last two (2) more episodes, Kelley likes to blow his **** early and not let them develop. Take for example Lindsey or her hubby's trials over on "The Practice" neither were cliffhangers.

My biggest problems with this season has got to be two (2) things: 1. Kelley is now the "Executive Consultant" so he is distancing himself from a show that is really taking a dump in production and stories, and 2. writing in a Teach for America participant that is (written) as soft as a role of Charmin. I was a Campus Representative for TFA and am disgusted how they have her written as this Princeton book-worm ditz, TFA prides itself on having participants that are willing, able, and ready to take on the task of teaching.

Sorry about the rant, but some people not having a grasp of reality when it comes to law enforcement and school budgetary problems just doesnt sit well with me. But hey on the brighter side once Fox cancel's this program, thats one more day that I do not have to have my TV on.
Old 11-27-02, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by retihsuhnt
"I had to close my eyes in the end. That ending was brutal...not realistic at all."

Have I missed something, I work within the legal industry and Im sorry, but THEY WOULD HAVE DONE THAT. Just because the students were shown leaving their classes does not make it unrealistic. They wanted to protray the cops as the "bad guys" and had their only response be "Im just following orders."

Really, the cops would take out a respected memeber of the communuty in handcuffs in front of the student body? really??
Old 11-27-02, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Not only that, but someone who there is an established relationship with?

But, I could see the point of handcuffing him and parading him down the halls for "attempted" aggravated assault with a deadly hat rack

I agree with Jadzia & TruGator...we need CSI:Boston Public to handle this ridiculousness.
Old 11-27-02, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by retihsuhnt

Uh, no. So you think it was just unlucky for Harper that the students just happened to be getting out of class right when he was getting arrested. I didn't hear a school bell at all so why were the students coming out into the hallway? Also, the police wouldn't have taken him out in handcuffs right away because of his role in society. Harper is not a threat to escape the cops in his own school and any detective (especially this one because he knew Harper) would allow a principal to walk out w/o handcuffs in front of his students.

Another awful thing about it was how Harper's face was so blank. He just kept staring ahead and didn't say anything to anybody. His daughter asks him what is going on and he says something to the effect if "don't worry about it". That is totally out of character for him. You would've think he would've said something like "this is a big mistake, don't worry we'll get this fixed out."

And I just can't get over the fact that there is a knot on that guys head because of him hiting a desk, NOT because of a coat rack. Any CSI or detective can figure this out. He would not be charged with anything because he didn't do anything and the evidence shows this!

"But I doubt a teacher would bring a dead body to class."

Now someone has not been in a classroom for a while. With budgets such as they are if a physical science teacher can "pull a few strings" and get a "loaner" for their Anatomy class MORE POWER TO THEM.

"Now someone has not been in a classroom for a while."

Umm...actually I'm a senior in high school and I bet you are the one who doesn't remember what a classroom is like. I know the situation with budgets as my school is well known for academics but my school is low-budgeted. We don't have any money to spend to help us students so I think I know what it's like to be in a class with a tight budget.

And NO, a teacher would never be allowed to bring in a dead body to school. If this were to happen the only way it could be done is with permission from the principal (maybe the county) and if each student had a signed permission slip. You can't just bring in a dead body into class (out of the blue) and not expect to have parents complain. Not realistic at all...hell, we don't even do animal disections, let alone human bodies.

Also, I found another gripe...wasn't the teacher who brought in the body a physics teacher? So now all of a sudden he teaches Anatomy? I know teachers can teach different courses but Physics is a big course and most Physics teachers (all at my school) teach physics, and nothing but Physics.
Old 11-27-02, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Alyoshka
Please, Red Dog, keep in mind that some in the industry roam these boards. Let's not give them any ideas. It is like pulling teeth each time that DEK shows try to collaborate.
Well, personally, I would be sort of interested in seeing a Ally McBeal/Boston Public crossover. It'd be amusing, although not possible, to see Ally verus Ronnie in some odd episode where their paths cross, even though they live in two different cities away from each other.
Old 11-28-02, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the whole Harper getting charged with assault and battery is just a big waste of time. It's supposed to be all suspenseful because there were no witnesses, so when they bring it to court all they can say is "he sounded angry, told everyone to get out and the next time we saw him he had a coat rack in his hands and the other guy was on the floor."

First of all the coat rack was on the other side of the room from Harper, and the cops should be able to tell that the guy banged the back of his head on the desk and never got hit with the coat rack. In the real world, yes he possibly would get arrested (not in between classes while everyone is roaming the halls) but it would get thrown out of court in a second.
Old 11-29-02, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Umm...actually I'm a senior in high school and I bet you are the one who doesn't remember what a classroom is like... We don't have any money to spend to help us students so I think I know what it's like to be in a class with a tight budget."

Congratulations on being a senior, and only slightly biased. Lets see my four years in high shool: we lost 40 teaching positions, never had they same schedule as the previous year, and no class had less than thirty in it. Oh Im so out of touch with a classroom because I spent the last 22 years of my life in them. I got a wild idea before you run off at the mouth, get a CLUE.

"And NO, a teacher would never be allowed to bring in a dead body to school. If this were to happen the only way it could be done is with permission from the principal (maybe the county) and if each student had a signed permission slip. You can't just bring in a dead body into class (out of the blue) and not expect to have parents complain. Not realistic at all...hell, we don't even do animal disections, let alone human bodies."

Ever heard of anatomy class? Oh wait you defeat your own argument with the rest of the quotation explaining how one could have a cadavier on campus. Oops. Lets see before the anatomy class was "downsized" they started off with disecting little bunnys, hell the biology class even disected frogs. Parents complain about everything but never take the time to invesitgate what it is that they are griping about. How many books across amercia have parents wanted banned, and when they are asked if they read the book, they say NO.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.