TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Comcast TiVo-like video-on demand

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-02, 02:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comcast TiVo-like video-on demand

Anyone else have this yet?

Just today, in Bensalem, PA Comcast started video-on-demand. You can rent movies for a 24 hour period; but you can actually pause, stop, rewind, just like a VCR! There are also cable TV shows archived that you can watch for free! I noticed it was activated this morning, and will be playing around with it this evening...are any other cable systems doing this yet? The archived shows included local news, stuff from A&E, Court TV, music videos, and some other categories I didn't have time to look through.

FS
Old 11-14-02, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
VOD is nothing like TIVO or Replay.
Old 11-14-02, 03:08 PM
Banned

Im my opinion, it's very MUCH like TiVo in it's functionality...

I said TiVo-like because for the first time you can stop, pause, rewind and fast forward a VOD show...and really, it's only one step away from TiVo. If the archive were complete, with every single show, say, from the past week or two, TiVo would become obsolete.

FS

Last edited by FlashStash; 11-14-02 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-14-02, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by FlashStash
Im my opinion, it's very MUCH like TiVo in it's functionality...

I said TiVo-like because for the first time you can stop, pause, rewind and fast forward a VOD show...and really, it's only one step away from TiVo. If the archive were complete, with every single show, say, from the past week or two, TiVo would become obsolete.

FS

Yeah but the archive is not even close to complete (any network programming?). Also, how long do programs stay in the archive? With a TIVO, you can keep that program forever on your hard drive if you want. Finally, how much does it cost - it is essentially a PPV type deal?

If the cable companies really want to do something for the consumer, why not build in PVRs into the cable boxes (much like a DIRECTIVO).
Old 11-14-02, 03:23 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Red Dog
Yeah but the archive is not even close to complete (any network programming?). Also, how long do programs stay in the archive? With a TIVO, you can keep that program forever on your hard drive if you want. Finally, how much does it cost - it is essentially a PPV type deal?

If the cable companies really want to do something for the consumer, why not build in PVRs into the cable boxes (much like a DIRECTIVO).
Why so argumentative about this?

It's not complete...I SAID that it wasn't, but if it were why would you need TiVo?

Network programming? Yup, I saw Meet the Press listed...and I'll look for more tonight...

Cost? I said in my first post the shows other than the movies were FREE, just part of their digital cable package.

Keeping programs forever? Output it to tape...TiVo is not intended to be a permanent storage device, thay's why they provide the tape output.

Sheesh! Next time I'll stick to less controversial topics like flicking cigarette butts out of car windows!

FS
Old 11-14-02, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by FlashStash
Why so argumentative about this?

It's not complete...I SAID that it wasn't, but if it were why would you need TiVo?

Network programming? Yup, I saw Meet the Press listed...and I'll look for more tonight...

Cost? I said in my first post the shows other than the movies were FREE, just part of their digital cable package.

Keeping programs forever? Output it to tape...TiVo is not intended to be a permanent storage device, thay's why they provide the tape output.

Sheesh! Next time I'll stick to less controversial topics like flicking cigarette butts out of car windows!

FS

Relax. I was simply pointing out the difference btwn VOD and PVRs.
Old 11-15-02, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The best thing about it is that you can get those pay-per-view movies whenever you want. You dont have to wait for the next showing at 10 or whatever. Other than that, the selection is unfortunately rather limited.
Old 11-15-02, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Yeah, they've had VOD on Time Warner Cable for quite some time, it's fairly nifty - but we don't have an HD version yet .
Old 11-15-02, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is this Comcast, as in "soon to be AT&T Broadband" Comcast?

And, yes, I still flick my cigarette butts out the car window. In case you were interested.
Old 11-17-02, 02:56 PM

I'd heard this was coming out toward the end of the year, but nothing has been said that I've seen here in Nashville.

It doesn't sound like you had to get a new box. What digital box are you using?

We've got the same General Instruments boxes they've used since before the market was bought from Intermedia. This is actually my third identical box that I've had over the last three years or so (had 2 die).
Old 11-17-02, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RichC2
but we don't have an HD version yet .
That would require many more shows to actually be in HD. If they did set up a VOD-HD channel, it'd be very very limited.

- H
Old 11-17-02, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Red Dog
Time-Warner Cable already does this... I have one of their Digital Cable/PVR boxes. I pay $7 for the PVR functionality a month (the box costs as much as the regular digital cable box costs), and it's well worth it.
Old 11-18-02, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would have to agree with Red Dog on this one. VOD is totally different from PVR.

Yet I was talking to my friend who works for Time Warner and they are working on getting PVR (tivo/replay) type cable boxes. I dunno how much the cost factor or hardware is going to be rented for but it is going to be nice.
Old 11-18-02, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by thejammy
Yet I was talking to my friend who works for Time Warner and they are working on getting PVR (tivo/replay) type cable boxes. I dunno how much the cost factor or hardware is going to be rented for but it is going to be nice.
See my post above ... I already have one of them from Time-Warner Cable. It works great, and I'm extremely happy with it. I pay the normal $7 or so a month (I don't even remember) I've already been paying to have the digital box, and then another $7 for the PVR subscription. It's more than worth it (considering what I'd be paying for a TiVo and subscription)
Old 11-18-02, 09:08 PM
Banned

I have one of these cable DVR time warner boxes too and let me tell you its great. VOD is nothing like the DVR box they are two seperate things.