Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Simpsons--Fox's #1 show. Has any other show ever done this?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Simpsons--Fox's #1 show. Has any other show ever done this?

Old 11-15-02, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
See, here's the thing:

The reasn why older seasons seem to be better is that we've seen them in reruns a billion times. And as it is my opinion that Simpsons get better with repeated viewings, those episodes seem better because we've been able to notice all the little details and the clever, but not obvious, bits of the show that we don't really notice at first, but appreciate over time.

The newer seasons just need that same time of adjustment because all that stuff is still there - it's still like peeling off layers of an onion, but it's hard to do with just one viewing.
Old 11-15-02, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by slop101
See, here's the thing:

The reasn why older seasons seem to be better is that we've seen them in reruns a billion times. And as it is my opinion that Simpsons get better with repeated viewings, those episodes seem better because we've been able to notice all the little details and the clever, but not obvious, bits of the show that we don't really notice at first, but appreciate over time.

The newer seasons just need that same time of adjustment because all that stuff is still there - it's still like peeling off layers of an onion, but it's hard to do with just one viewing.
I think you're onto something here. People are saying it's not as good as it was 4 years ago, Season 9. I remember 4 years ago people were saying it's not as good as it was 4 years prior to that. I agree, the more familar people become with it, the more they will like it. Besides, in the early years, the show focused more on Bart. Now it focuses more on Homer, which I love.
Old 11-15-02, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts
See, here's the thing:

Sorry but the local syndicated affiliate here has been repeating season 10-13 episodes ad nauseum for the last 4 months. They are not any more funny than when I originally saw them.

I remember laughing so many times on initial viewings of Season 2-7 episodes. The same cannot be said of first-time viewings of episodes from the last 4-5 seasons.
Old 11-15-02, 10:44 AM

it's still like peeling off layers of an onion
"Ogres have layers, onions have layers."
Old 11-15-02, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Red Dog
Sorry but the local syndicated affiliate here has been repeating season 10-13 episodes ad nauseum for the last 4 months. They are not any more funny than when I originally saw them.

I remember laughing so many times on initial viewings of Season 2-7 episodes. The same cannot be said of first-time viewings of episodes from the last 4-5 seasons.
I agree with you wholeheartedly Red Dog . I'll admit that season 13 was a significant improvment over the two seasons preceding it (Al Jean took over as show-runner during that season). Some of the episodes during that season brought some of the old Simpsons magic back (Old Man & The Key and Little Girl In The Big Ten are great eps).

As for that example earlier in the thread, I was just trying to point out that most of the jokes in recent seasons have been pandering to the lowest common denominator. In fact, one of the upcoming episodes have my expectations at an all time low.

The episode involves
Spoiler:
Marge getting breast implants.

I know it's not good to pre-judge anything, but this plot doesn't sound good. Hopefully I'll pleasantly surprised by this episode.
Old 11-15-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Why would Marge Simpson possibly want to
Spoiler:
get breast implants
??? That's completely out of character for her.

Oh, wait, I forgot. The Simpsons now all act randomly, and it's just as good as it ever was
Old 11-15-02, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jason,
Spoiler:
Marge doesn't want the implants, she accidentally gets implants instead of making her face look younger.
Old 11-15-02, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Simpsons jumped the shark with "do the bartman"
Old 11-16-02, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
See, here's the thing:

This theory doesnt work. I dont watch re-runs of the older episodes so i can't see them 57 times a month and proclaim them to be "complete greatness". The shows were funny/witty the first time i saw them, thats what makes them good.

And if the seasons of the show i didnt care for ("Musical Season" on) were on, i wouldnt watch them either. If it wasnt funny the first time, watching it again won't make it any funnier.
Old 11-16-02, 10:05 AM

[homer]You're all nuts.[/homer]

The show might not actually be better than ever, but it certainly is as good as ever. The Simpsons will be around for a long, long time, there will always be people who claim that it's just not as good as it used to be, and those people will always be wrong.
Old 11-16-02, 11:55 AM

Still Bar-none the second best show on right now (Malcom in the Middle)....Still the best ever.
Old 11-16-02, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Mister Beefhead
The Simpsons will be around for a long, long time

Of course it will be around for a long, long time FOX has nothing good enough to replace it so they are going to keep this show on the air untill it degrades to the point where it pisses everyone off and nobody watches it anymore.

there will always be people who claim that it's just not as good as it used to be, and those people will always be wrong.

There will always be people who claim the show is as good as ever, and those people will always be in denial.
Old 11-16-02, 12:47 PM

Whether or not you like the newer seasons is up to your own individual taste, but you'd have to be deaf and blind to not notice that the tone of the show has changed tremendously over the years. Because of this, many long-time fans have given perfectly valid reasons why they think the show has gone downhill. I think it's gone downhill too, but I still like it enough to watch it. Last season started out horribly, but many of the later season episodes turned out to be some of my favorite ones in years.
Old 11-16-02, 12:53 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by fujishig
Well, Simpsons is currently number 10 or 11 in number of total episodes ever:

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/proutsy/
Actually it's 11th or 12th - they screwed up on the number 1 show with most episodes (that would be Doctor Who at 710, not Gunsmoke).
Old 11-16-02, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I think that we can all agree that the show peaked and plateaued at around seasons 4-6 then it dipped some and has been sort of inconsistant ever since. But it's still pretty damn good and better than 99% of tv.

Last edited by slop101; 11-16-02 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-16-02, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by El-Kabong
Actually it's 11th or 12th - they screwed up on the number 1 show with most episodes (that would be Doctor Who at 710, not Gunsmoke).
Read the fine print. It was for US-produced shows.
Old 11-16-02, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Simpson Purist
Well this is different, now the show is wacky and at times unfunny. The characters I knew and loved have been dumbed down to shadows of their own selves. There's also too many "flavor of the month" guest stars (I almost turned off the TV when I saw N*SYNC make their self-congratulatory appearances).
The characters used to be geniuses or something (I guess Lisa did get into MENSA)? I think the episodes a bit more uneven, but some of the episodes from the last few seasons are as funny as anything from the first three. As for "flavor of the month" guest stars, I think they do a very good job of mixing that up. I wouldn't consider the Rolling Stones, Tom Petty or Elvis Castello "flavors of the month." Would you?
Old 11-16-02, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

well if your in bmore, wb54 is playing the older seasons (6pm), they are currently on season 3 and this mondays episode is yeah the soapbox derby episode ( a favorite of mine and i havent seen that one in years.
Old 11-16-02, 08:18 PM

The closest sitcom (in terms of number of seasons) still airing new episodes is Fraiser on it's 10th season.

Not that Fraiser can hold a candle to The Simpsons and I'm not sure how it's ratings are, but 10 years is rare these days! And considering Fraiser spun off of Cheers which lasted 11 years, that's 21 years and counting of some Very funny stuff.
Old 11-17-02, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

True, not all of the stars are "flavor of the month", although this seasons crop of guest stars have me with mixed feelings at the moment. They include Jonathan Taylor Thomas ( ), Blink 182, Tony Hawk, Marisa Tomei, Weird Al Yankovic, Eric Idle, and co-executive producer James L. Brooks. The guest stars I'm looking forward to are Weird Al Yankovic and Eric Idle.

Last edited by Simpson Purist; 11-17-02 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-17-02, 10:25 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
I wouldn't consider the Rolling Stones, Tom Petty or Elvis Castello "flavors of the month." Would you?
More like the flavors of last month.

But anyways, it's kind of interesting to see the guest shots on the show. What I found particularly interesting is how hypocritical some of these episodes are. Take Mel Gibson's episode, where he has Homer help him remake Mr. Smith Goes to Washington into a bang-bang-shoot-em-up action flick. Then he goes on to make the Patriot. Hypocritical [dumb] Hollywood actor or super genius? Makes me wonder if he really "got it". Lol.

At any rate, when people say the last 4s easons haven't been all that good, it might be because of the death of Phil Hartman who was an integral part of the show.