Reload this Page >

Enterprise 11/13/02

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Enterprise 11/13/02

Old 11-13-02, 09:36 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Enterprise 11/13/02

I won't bother getting into what little plot there was, covered a million times in TOS, TNG, etc. What I will say is that the writers really suck, and I mean big time.

I will logic through this one little simple piece of plot: They need a way to save the Captain and *poof!*,now Enterprise has cloaked ships. Excuse me? Uh, if Starfleet knew Enterprise had a ship with a cloaking device in it, it would not be sitting in the cargo bay. It would be in a research lab somewhere with scientists all over it.

This is just so much crap. For one thing it wasn't untill TOS that Starfleet even got their hands on a cloaking device, let alone know about them (the episode was just on Sci-Fi the other night) where Kirk stole one off a Romulan ship.

So what makes it right for Starfleet to use a vessel with technology they're not supposed to have to steal back technology another race isn't supposed to have? A bit hypocticial, you think? Apparently the writers don't think at all.

They should let the fans write the episodes, or my little brother. He's 4yrs old, and he just wrote an essay for school and it was more interesting (and had less plot holes).

This episode pretty much ended it all for me. I don't really care if I see the next episode or not.

Last edited by Eric F; 11-13-02 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-13-02, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Eric F for someone who hated the episode, you sure did spend some time ranting about it. I thought it sucked too. That is all.
Old 11-13-02, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I didn't think it was that great of an episode, but it wasn't that bad either.

I agree, it's ridiculous that they just happen to suddenly have a cloaking ship around when they need it.

Still, I liked the message of the show about how they can contaminate not just by leaving something behind, but also by just being seen.
Old 11-13-02, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You mean this show's still on the air??

I've given up. I don't even bother d/ling it anymore.
Old 11-13-02, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
the MP5s with Beta C mags were cool
B&B already destroyed continuity
they did get that cloaked ship in the season premiere though, archer used it to get back to enterprise so it didn't appear out of no where just for this episode
Old 11-13-02, 11:55 PM
Banned

Eric F for someone who hated the episode, you sure did spend some time ranting about it. I thought it sucked too. That is all.
Those 5mins was a real killer. I needed to vent.

After last week's episode I thought they were getting better but it's back to the SOS. I suppose I should have known better, after not even following the last season of Voy.

At least I have my TNG boxed sets.
Old 11-14-02, 01:14 AM
Banned

People are still watching this? I am surprised at the audience it has for the lack of creativity the "Creative" team has shown with this season and laugh.

Turn IT Off!
Old 11-14-02, 05:48 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 591 Likes on 338 Posts
I caught the last 10 minutes. I just don't care about this show anymore. This really depresses me, because I'm a big Trekkie.
Old 11-14-02, 08:51 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When its a good episode, I thouroughly enjoy it. When its bad, I can shrug it off. This episode was lame but i still like some of the main characters.

For people who care and want to discuss: I dont like Malcom yet, they keep making him mess up or stumble somehow and he comes off as being the most incompetent of the whole crew.
Old 11-14-02, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
I think Travis is the most useless member of the crew to be honest. It's like they've stopped giving him lines at all. The episode before this last one, it seemed like Travis was just following archer around like a puppy dog. I thought Porthos had more personality than Travis. I do wish they'd get rid of him for good and all.

Michael
Old 11-14-02, 09:10 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

as far as strength of character i rate it:

1 - Captain Archer
2 - Tpol
3 - Tucker
4 - Dr Phlox
5 - Hoshi Soto
6 - Malcom
7 - Travis

Youre right travis has no lines and always has a dopey happy look.
Old 11-14-02, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 631 Likes on 506 Posts
I liked this episode more than most of the others. Way better than last week's snore-fest.
Old 11-14-02, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Boy! Talk about lame! 11 posts and not one of youse asks The Big Question!??

Are the writers SO STOOPID that they couldn’t even come up with a Lame Excuse for why they couldn’t use the TRANS-FREEKING-PORTERS??

N’Pol: Well?
Travis: We’ve got transporters? Damn! I completely forgot.
Trip: I don’t think the Captain would like it.

[whine] C’mon, guys. Don’t turn it off. Somebody needs to monitor the show’s sukekeke level, and I can’t do this by myself…[/whine]
Old 11-14-02, 09:22 AM
razorbackfan

It was a set up for the future "Prime Directive" episode.

Enterprise has a 7 year run, like all "Star Trek" shows on Paramount.

Yes, they need writers. Trust me, when they do a bad episode everyone on the set knows it too.

B & B have total control. TOTAL control. Enough said.
Old 11-14-02, 09:23 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

I think one of the characters needs to have a disasterous transporter accident to remind us that they dont have it perfected yet. Perhaps malcom or travis beaming into a pile of blue crystals ala TOS when the crew were being turned into the 'basic chemical makeup' of human
Old 11-14-02, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wasn't paying too much attention, but I really like this episode.

I liked the shoot out at the end.
I liked Tpol taking charge and actually showing some urgency instead of her usual 'whatever' attitude.
I liked the bit with Trips missing arm.

Fun stuff.
Old 11-14-02, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Quoth Wizdar •<HR SIZE=1>Boy! Talk about lame! 11 posts and not one of youse asks The Big Question!??<HR SIZE=1>

Actually the Big Question is why that General couldn't figure out they "weren't from 'round these parts" when they were speaking freakin' English the whole time. They don't have babelfish - they have translators, or at least they're supposed to. Kind of makes Hoshi a bit worthless if they can ignore translation issues whenever they feel like it.

das
Old 11-14-02, 10:15 AM
razorbackfan

Originally posted by Save Ferris
I think one of the characters needs to have a disasterous transporter accident to remind us that they dont have it perfected yet. Perhaps malcom or travis beaming into a pile of blue crystals ala TOS when the crew were being turned into the 'basic chemical makeup' of human
Transporter accident? Well:

Spoiler:
Title: Vanishing Point
Production Number: 136 |Airdate: 11/27/02
Written By: Rick Berman and Brannon Braga
Directed By: David Straiton

HOSHI (the communications officer) is involved in a transporter accident. A serious transporter accident.
Old 11-14-02, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 631 Likes on 506 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
• Quoth Wizdar •<HR SIZE=1>Boy! Talk about lame! 11 posts and not one of youse asks The Big Question!??<HR SIZE=1>

Actually the Big Question is why that General couldn't figure out they "weren't from 'round these parts" when they were speaking freakin' English the whole time. They don't have babelfish - they have translators, or at least they're supposed to. Kind of makes Hoshi a bit worthless if they can ignore translation issues whenever they feel like it.

das

Of course one wonders if every alien humanoid civilization they encounter has the same races as humans: Caucasian, Black, and Asian. I only ask since Hoshi was with them on the initial trip and apparently caught the eye of the bartender.
Old 11-14-02, 11:45 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Shame on you. You should know all Star Trek series expects us to wink at most translator and atmosphere/gravity issues. Even with the electronic translators aliens lips move to English words. Its been this way since the beginning of Trek.
Old 11-14-02, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Save Ferris
Shame on you, das!

Old 11-14-02, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
LOL yeah, Malcolm's character seems to be left to: "Captain, I messed up. Do you want to flog me now or send me to the brig for the remainder of my sorry career?" Get over it, already.

das--I completely agree. I think it's funny that they have a translator on board, but never truly need her because a great many of the cultures speak English. Geez, if humans have hundreds of dialects and languages, you'd think aliens would be even more diverse.
Old 11-14-02, 12:35 PM
Banned

Talk about another major gaffe: Wen T'Pol called the Capt. on the communicator how the hell did the aliens know what she was saying?
Old 11-14-02, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I shouldn't need to explain the difference between the creative license Trek typically uses to allow everyone to speak English and what they're doing on Enterprise. Shame on me? Not this time.

das
Old 11-14-02, 01:23 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

well, I meant you can lump the translation issues onto a larger tier of continuity problems. These include light speed issues and some time travel issues. If youre going to pick apart the translation dept. you probabally would pick apart the whole Star Trek enterprise and should avoid everything Trek in the future.

In every Star Trek series, aliens lips move to English. Are we to assume the translator creates a hologram on the aliens mouths? Its always been handled this way. Theres plenty to pick on with this new series (and last episode) without bringing up the translations.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.