DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   "24" 11.05.2002 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/248678-24-11-05-2002-a.html)

Rogue588 11-05-02 06:40 PM

"24" 11.05.2002

Fergit the hacksaw and what it's gonna be used on...I wanna know -- Who's the Vice President?

Feneant 11-05-02 06:58 PM

It was a pretty good episode although some things were annoying. Everything in spoiler tags since I see it before everyone else.

Spoiler:
They seemed to drag on and on with the Bauer's... guy trying to get himself in and his daughter running with the child. I mean they could have developped a few more things like the stealing the terrorist's passport and pretty much leaving it at that 'We're going to look into it', weak. Still a good episode, she should have given the woman beater a few more whacks with the jack, bust him up some. I gotta say though, journalists are bloody leeches, that guy just wouldn't give it up with his 'people have the right to know' BS... I mean if I was the president, I wouldn't even have bothered to be nice with him, I would have stuck him in a box under the sun for a few hours. At the rate this episode went, I doubt this plot line will be over next week...

Useless comments... and I don't know anyone's name in the show since I only started watching it.

huzefa 11-05-02 07:45 PM

When do you watch it, Feneant? Is it on GlobalTV?

RichC2 11-05-02 08:37 PM

I think the show'll get more exciting as it goes - it's building up - this season is definitly more focused than last season (which opened up a million unconcluded sub plots) but also isn't as exciting in the setup as S1 is.

That being said, I'm not done with it yet - only 40 minutes in (damn ads) anyone else getting really REALLY annoying Election Results during vital points?

the
Spoiler:
part where they show the guy's head
the video took up a whopping 1/8th of the screen - the rest was election crap, WTF.

edit: nice final 20 minutes. The next episode preview didn't look too great, but 'eh who knows :D

-Rich

The Cow 11-05-02 08:59 PM

No holy ****, in this episode, but it has setup for some good plotlines... :up:

dgmayor 11-05-02 09:02 PM

the video took up a whopping 1/8th of the screen - the rest was election crap, WTF.
Ditto, was pissing me off.

Spoiler:
I really would like to know why Kim is so freaking stupid? Why would you leave the kid alone. Why would you run away from the father INTO an alley? Why would you ignore your father whom you KNOW works for CTU when he says get out of the city...Eye candy is one thing, but she doesn't deserve to live heh

AJW 11-05-02 09:16 PM

Originally posted by The Cow
No holy ****, in this episode, but it has setup for some good plotlines... :up:
Spoiler:
I thought revealing the assignment was to blow up CTU was a holy *** moment.

silentbob007 11-05-02 09:20 PM

<spoiler> I didn't think it would be possible ... but somehow Kim Bauer became stupider. She is now joined by annoying, whiny child to make her plot line really grind. <spoiler>

lisadoris 11-05-02 09:42 PM

Originally posted by silentbob007
<spoiler> I didn't think it would be possible ... but somehow Kim Bauer became stupider. She is now joined by annoying, whiny child to make her plot line really grind. <spoiler>
I agree with this 100%! Kim really took her daily dose of stupid pills. Other than that, I think this is the fastest hour on television. I don't mind the slow buildup of plot threads because you know it's leading to something big. Next week looks very interesting.

Rogue588 11-05-02 09:43 PM

Originally posted by AJW
Spoiler:
I thought revealing the assignment was to blow up CTU was a holy *** moment.

Agreed.

Originally posted by silentbob007
I didn't think it would be possible ... but somehow Kim Bauer became stupider. She is now joined by annoying, whiny child to make her plot line really grind.
Agreed. Well, she wasn't that bright to begin with...

Oh, but wait, she was in her panties in the first ep and now she's jiggling down every backalley in LA so it's all okay. -rolleyes-

Groucho 11-05-02 09:59 PM

The Kim sub-plot is driving me nuts. I was rooting for the child-beater guy to cap her ass.

silentbob007 11-05-02 10:01 PM

Originally posted by Rogue588
Agreed. Agreed. Well, she wasn't that bright to begin with...

Oh, but wait, she was in her panties in the first ep and now she's jiggling down every backalley in LA so it's all okay. -rolleyes-

Instead of giving her a plot line, they should have ditched the digital looking time clock and gone for Kim in panties, holding a sign that displayed what time it is ... ;)

mdc3000 11-05-02 10:11 PM

a very decent episode... i agree about the Kim storyline... I also hated her in the first season, finding her incredibly stupid...same with teri... i swear to god, if Elisha Cuthbert wasn't so damn hot, I'd like that character to get killed ASAP,...but since she is so damn hot, I don't mind having her be stupid, as long as she keeps running around....oh yeah!

MATT

and i thought the ending was pretty HOLYSHIT inducing!

Darkfrog 11-05-02 10:21 PM

I thought it a bit of a yawner. Add me to the tally of those that dislike the Kim subplot; way too much time was spent on it.

Feneant:
Spoiler:
I think the president IS going to stick him in a box for a few hours :)

madcougar 11-05-02 10:31 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
The Kim sub-plot is driving me nuts. I was rooting for the child-beater guy to cap her ass.
:lol: I thought the exact same thing. I actually cheered when he started to choke the life out of her. Why are they wasting time with this. You know this may sound evil but I was happy when they killed Baur's wife last year. She too was too stupid to live. One can only hope Kim either dies or is written out of this show.

Seriously don't mean to rant, but what are the writers thinking? I'm in trouble! Instead of screaming for help (since I am a hot young thing), I run into an alley where NO ONE could possibly help. Instead of calling daddy, who is a big bad government spook, I dial 911. Stoopid.

Sweet Baby James 11-05-02 10:56 PM

Originally posted by madcougar
:

Seriously don't mean to rant, but what are the writers thinking? I'm in trouble! Instead of screaming for help (since I am a hot young thing), I run into an alley where NO ONE could possibly help. Instead of calling daddy, who is a big bad government spook, I dial 911. Stoopid.

The dumbest thing that she did was to get out of that monster SUV. She's in a 4 ton SUV, he's in a 2 seater convertible sports car-why not just ram him? On top of that, she runs right past a couple of construction workers instead of asking for help.-rolleyes- I agree with the majority, she has got to go.

samuelk 11-05-02 10:59 PM

The dumbest thing that she did was to get out of that monster SUV. She's in a 4 ton SUV, he's in a 2 seater convertible sports car-why not just ram him?
Because there's a little girl in the car with her, and that little girl is injured with a possible concussion. What do you think ramming another car would do to her?

On top of that, she runs right past a couple of construction workers instead of asking for help. I agree with the majority, she has got to go.
I originally wondered that, too. But what if she DOES yell for help? She has no legal right to keep the child from her father (she can't really prove that he hit anyone, unless the daughter says something, and that's no likely in her state).

Deftones 11-05-02 11:05 PM

pretty good episode, although next week looks hella good.

Trelach24 11-05-02 11:15 PM

Here's what makes NO sense at all.....at the end of last season Jack was all over TV at the end.....and now he's going undercover again with guys he knows? Didn't anyone think of the possibility that after he was on TV after saving Palmer last season one of these bad guys he knows would see it and go "Oh damn! That guy's a cop!"

Buck Turgidson 11-05-02 11:18 PM

Afraid I'm w/ the consensus here...

While I wasn't rooting for her to die, this subplot seems like a pale rerun of the (actually rather exciting and involving) Kim storyline of last year.

Silver Lining: On or around April 8, 2003 Mr. Wife, Child and Au Pair-Beater will have an unpleasant encounter with Hacksaw Jack Bauer. I look forward to it eagerly.

Maybe construction workers are especially laid back in L.A., but around here, that guy would have had @ five of them all over him: two for reasons of chivalry and three in a vain attempt to impress Kim and get a chance to Go Downtown, if you know what I mean...

There were several
Deus Ex Machinas (I think, technically, Deus should be the plural there. If someone went to British Public School, please let us know what the correct phrase is...) in that episode. He just happens to go by that particular alley... Mr. Suspicious Arab/Persian guy picks that exact moment to go looking for future Sis-in-law... Don't keep throwing these at us, it's distracting. (Also, not to pick too many nits, but...he's ostensibly an oil-rich big shot and he drives...a Thunderbird (if I'm not mistaken.) Nice car, but I think a guy like that would go for a Ferarri or Porche, but they're not sponsoring the show.

I sound like I didn't enjoy the episode, and in fact I really did. I just was a little bothered by those things.

Darkfrog 11-06-02 12:13 AM

Re: Afraid I'm w/ the consensus here...

Originally posted by Buck Turgidson

There were several
Deus Ex Machinas (I think, technically, Deus should be the plural there. If someone went to British Public School, please let us know what the correct phrase is...) .

dei ex machina or dei ex machinis (I'll vote for the second)

Buck Turgidson 11-06-02 12:51 AM

Re: Re: Afraid I'm w/ the consensus here...

Originally posted by Darkfrog
dei ex machina or dei ex machinis (I'll vote for the second)
Okay, cool. :up: (This all reminds me of the graffitti scene in The Life of Brian...)

Patman 11-06-02 12:56 AM

Sometimes you have to wonder if the makers of 24 just enjoy making Kim run around with absolutely no contingency plans.

I guess Jack really is in full black ops mode. This is one dangerous dude.

They did screw up the timing at the start of the episode where they show Jack in the helicopter with the new CTU female agent, and then they drop off Jack, and within 2 minutes, the female agent is back at her CTU desk. I don't think so.

Jeremy517 11-06-02 02:20 AM

Re: Afraid I'm w/ the consensus here...

He just happens to go by that particular alley...
His car had one of those security tracking devices. That's why he called the tracking company and asked them to tell him the location of his car.

Mr. Suspicious Arab/Persian guy picks that exact moment to go looking for future Sis-in-law...
He wasn't looking for the sister in law. He was going to his car to run errands for his fiance and the sister in law happened to be in the car. That's why he mentinoed that he'd park the car on the other side of the street when he got back.

MrN 11-06-02 02:24 AM

This ep. was pretty weak compared to the first one - it seems like everyone is running around accomplishing nothing. And thanks to that ticking clock everything is so fast paced and exciting. Jack however is probably the exception - he seems to be out to break all the rules he can to get the mission done.

Spoiler:
I have a feeling the guys out to blow up CTU are a red herring, unrelated to the Nuke people.