Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

John Doe 11-01-02

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-02, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
John Doe 11-01-02

OK, the fact that I can't find a post about this weeks show bodes ill. I personally liked this episode alot. It did nothing to further his search for identity story arch, but humanized him a bit more. Plus it added some depth to his assistant (who I never liked before). From next weeks preview it looks like he's going to look into his own past again. It looks like they may alternate each week between "Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective" episodes and "the search for the real me" ones.
Old 11-03-02, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nah. It just means that some are too busy this weekend, just haven't had the time, or are just too damn lazy. [I'm guilty of the last. ]

Anyways...I enjoyed the ep. I'm getting used to the "red herring" [it starts out with one plausible explanation, then turns out to be something else] aspect of the cases. Next week's ep should be good.

Now if only they'd give Stella her own ep.
Old 11-03-02, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a different opinion of the episode. To me, the show just continues its downward slide. The guy who plays Doe seems to become a worse actor each week. He seems to think that showing depth of character means squinting his eyes and constricting his facial muscles really tight. Plus, I cannot stand it when shows have super-obvious "that would never happen" things in them, and this one has them ALL THE TIME. How about when they're inspecting the crime scene in the museum, and suddenly a guy shows up: "Yeah, I'm here to pick up my mom." "Sorry son, but your mom's dead." Um, yeah, this guy's just going to be allowed to wander onto a secure crime scene. Why even include that? So that Doe can do another patented face squinch, I guess.

Not a TERRIBLE show, but I think I'm dropping this one from the roster. I'd rather put that hour toward a dvd.
Old 11-03-02, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the kid was there so it could show motive later on. So the kid wouldn't just pop out of no where.
Old 11-04-02, 12:51 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When the show was done, one thing didn't really make sense. If the 'artist guy' was such an altruist, helping the guard and her kid, then whey did he leave her gutted body to rot in a van?

I'm giving this show one more episode to become cohesive - none of the episodes so far have been building to anything. Its been one false trail after another.

Yeah, me and my room-mate laugh at the squinting that forms 90% of Doe's acting.
Old 11-04-02, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MrN
When the show was done, one thing didn't really make sense. If the 'artist guy' was such an altruist, helping the guard and her kid, then whey did he leave her gutted body to rot in a van?
Excellent point. That's just sloppy writing, of which this show has quite a bit.
Old 11-04-02, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The squinting is from watching too many Richard Gere movies.

Just wait until Doe starts blinking alot as well.
Old 11-04-02, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If the 'artist guy' was such an altruist, helping the guard and her kid, then whey did he leave her gutted body to rot in a van?
Obviously you wern't watching the show closely enough... it was all completely explained in a squinty eyed montage. In fact all the loose ends were tied up (even the bit about how his experience on horseshoe island shorted out his memory AND acting ability). Pay attention people.

C'mon, I really want to like this show. Why won't they just let me like it.

Last edited by DeputyDave; 11-04-02 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-04-02, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think you guys nitpick too much. Still a great show.
Old 11-04-02, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This was the last episode that I am watching. It started out okay, but it has been on a gradual decline since. Friday nights for me will now just consist of Firefly, since this, RHD and Hack have all been busts.
Old 11-04-02, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Next week looks like it will be a more important episode in the "mythology" of his past - can you say SWEEPS?
Old 11-04-02, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by dgeralsh
C'mon, I really want to like this show. Why won't they just let me like it.
I think they want you to like girls club instead.

Oh...waitasec...
Old 11-04-02, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still like the show, but this episode wasn't that great, IMHO. Either I'm a genius, or this show was too predictable. The minute they showed the rent-a-cop getting shot, I automatically thought to myself that she swallowed the diamond and shot herself. Then when her son showed up, I knew that he had to be in on it somehow.

I still can't stand Karen. If this show stays on the air, I'm hoping that I will eventually like Karen the way that I hated Will Tippin on Alias at first and now like him.

Next week's episode looks good.

Old 11-04-02, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought this episode was pretty lame the whole court room "theatrics" was pretty lame. I am coming close to giving up on this show. I know there is a lot of potential for this show but they haven't been using the character as they should. I agree that the squinting is getting old so is when he starts talking all scientific how he seems to speed up talking so you have to watch it with closed captioning (sp?) just to understand what he said. I tape this show every week and I am glad I do so I can replay what he is saying just to understand what he is saying.