DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Angel 10.27.02 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/246554-angel-10-27-02-a.html)

writteninstars 10-27-02 11:15 PM

Angel 10.27.02

Holy moley! I thought it was gonna be kind of a yawner judging by the first half hour. Right after that things picked up in a major way. First of all, that big lug, Angel, made me all sad b/c Cordy doesn't remember him....even with his huge hints about the ballet . I'm glad Cordy feels safe w/ Connor, but if I were in her position, I don't know that I would fully trust him...even if he did save her life a couple of times in one evening. Oooh, but good to know she hasn't lost her fighting skills. That training w/ Angel really paid off tonight. I really enjoyed them fighting off the Wolfram and Hart people together. OMG. When did I become a Angel/Cordelia shipper? I need to go lie down and think about this.

But before I leave, I wanna talk about Wesley and Lilah...my Lord, they were actually quite sweet...for a moment. Poor Wesley. He knows he's literally in bed with the devil, but is he using her as much as she is using him? This couple is completely intriguing me.

Oh dear. I have to wait another week for a new episode. Shucks.

~wis

Patman 10-27-02 11:36 PM

Anyone catch Connor copping a Cordy C-cup?

spainlinx0 10-28-02 12:27 AM

I saw that cupping, and thought it was hilarious. And I knew Wesley was going to get played because I knew Lilah wasn't so careless as to leave the door half-open.

I think it would really make the storyline interesting if Connor ended up sleeping with Cordelia. Then, at her climax, her memory comes back. Especially considering how Angel feels about her it would be really messed up to have his son get her. I doubt that would happen, and maybe that's a bad idea, but I think it would be pretty cool.

cooper2000 10-28-02 12:34 AM

The whole Amnesia thing is a yawner. When they start doing Amnesia storylines, it really makes me think that they are running out of ideas.

This was a clunker of an episode. Did everyone leave that made Angel a better show than Buffy last year?
Buffy was much better this week.

khieng 10-28-02 12:42 AM

I enjoyed this week's episode. A few good lines but I also found this whole amnesia story very old and recycled. And Lorne needs to learn how to fight. They show him tied up and beaten to a pulp too much.

CaptainMarvel 10-28-02 01:14 AM

Originally posted by cooper2000
The whole Amnesia thing is a yawner. When they start doing Amnesia storylines, it really makes me think that they are running out of ideas.

This was a clunker of an episode. Did everyone leave that made Angel a better show than Buffy last year?
Buffy was much better this week.

I couldn't disagree more. I was giggling with how much I enjoyed this episode. The world these characters live in is just so unreal that's it was especially great to see an extended reaction to that world. Demons and vampires and battleaxes aren't normal everyday things.

Dr. DVD 10-28-02 09:11 AM

This was the first Angel I caught in a while. While he appeared calm when Cordy made her decision to stay with him, you just know Connor had to be thinking -ptth- to Angel. Cordy's expression when Connor copped a feel was priceless, surprised she decided to live with him.

ChefWinduAZ 10-28-02 09:30 AM

Best exchange of the night:

Gunn: So I look Russian to you?

Cordy: Black Russian!

Angel: That's a drink.

Cordy: So says the head spy.

tofu 10-28-02 09:51 AM

Originally posted by Patman
Anyone catch Connor copping a Cordy C-cup?
that was pretty weird especially since she was kinda like his surrogate mom in the beginning when he first showed up. the weird thing is
Spoiler:
next week's preview show them hugging and connor asking if she wants to do more "training." -eek-

Patman 10-28-02 10:10 AM

If they go down the "father-son-Cordy" triangle path, they would be trite.

Dr. DVD 10-28-02 10:25 AM

Originally posted by Patman
If they go down the "father-son-Cordy" triangle path, they would be trite.
It would be even more trite if they find out down the road that Cordy really is Connor's mom.

On a side note, does Buffy know of Angel and Cordy's relationship, or are the two shows trying to operate seperately now? I am actually wondering if the "evil" they speak of coming is the same evil that is coming in Buffy.

Rico Diablo 10-28-02 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
I am actually wondering if the "evil" they speak of coming is the same evil that is coming in Buffy.
It definitely is. Didn't Lorne say "From beneath you it devours." at some point in the last week or two?

Patman 10-28-02 12:06 PM

I guess California is really going to fall into the Pacific Ocean at the end of this season!

Dr. DVD 10-28-02 12:59 PM

Will Buffy and Angel be able to do an actual crossover, or will the fact that it's two different networks not allow that to happen?

Also, is Lilah the devil? If so she could very well be
Spoiler:
the big bad on Buffy this season as well.

Adam Tyner 10-28-02 01:03 PM

I think it's kind of interesting that Angel and company did the exact same thing, if on a significantly smaller scale, that they've ostracized Wesley for doing -- withholding information with the best of intentions.

A plea to Mutant Enemy -- please, please stop shoehorning the word "champion" into every episode.

CaptainMarvel 10-28-02 01:17 PM

Will Buffy and Angel be able to do an actual crossover, or will the fact that it's two different networks not allow that to happen?
Intercompany crossovers have happened before (Ally McBeal/The Practice), but it almost seems like what's happening in Angel is an alternate reality. It's kind of hard to believe Wolfram and Hart wouldn't have an office in Sunnydale, since it sits on the Hellmouth.

I would love to know what happened at the last meeting between the two... the one neither one of them would talk about.

Slumbering Fist 10-28-02 03:53 PM

Everything I've read in interviews from the Buffy creative team, Whedon, Noxon, and such, have stated that no crossovers will occur, and the WB higher-ups pretty much discourage talking about anything Buffy-related, which is why the past two years has so few Buffy referances on Angel. Based on this, I think the two big events are seperate... though Sunnydale is supposed to be in California, so maybe the big event is large enough to effect both cities? It may be some cleverness on the part of Joss and crew, arranging that the two shows have finales that effect each other, while the shows dont actually mention one another at all.

Dr. DVD 10-28-02 03:57 PM

Originally posted by Slumbering Fist
Everything I've read in interviews from the Buffy creative team, Whedon, Noxon, and such, have stated that no crossovers will occur, and the WB people pretty much discouracge talking about anything Buffy-related, which is why the past two years has so few Buffy referances on Angel. Based on this, I think the two big events are seperate... though Sunnydale is supposed to be in California, so maybe the big event is large enough to effect both cities?
Dang. Is WB that bitter over losing Buffy to UPN? Wonder when they re-write Angel's origin to not include Buffy?

Slumbering Fist 10-28-02 04:10 PM

Dang. Is WB that bitter over losing Buffy to UPN? Wonder when they re-write Angel's origin to not include Buffy?
Probably not so much bitterness as business... Many mentions of Buffy and crossovers are in effect promoting the other networks, the competition. UPN and WB have to struggle much more than the majors so that probably doesnt help, they have to worry more about losing veiwers to their rivals.

clemente 10-28-02 08:00 PM

It would be even more trite if they find out down the road that Cordy really is Connor's mom.
:confused: :confused:

We know who Connor's mom is, there is no doubt of that.

bigjim25 10-29-02 12:16 AM

I thought it was a good episode just because my girl was back. :drool:

B5Erik 10-29-02 01:51 AM

Amnesia? AMNESIA???

OK, is there a bigger TV drama cliche than ****ing amnesia???

This episode was entertaining, but I'm wondering why this writing crew (and the producers) are so quick to go to the "been used semi-successfully hundreds of times" idea basket.

For the first two seasons Angel (the show) avoided overuse of cliches and had some good old fashioned storytelling.

The whole "Angel is set up for something he didn't do" thing at the end of last season seemed like a cliche'd rehash (Buffy's mom anyone?), and the season finale was a debacle, but I was still hopeful for this season. I hope that they drop this lame amnesia storyline asap.

Now if they get Connor and Cordelia together "romantically" then I will be even more turned off. It may just be another misleading promo, and I'm hoping that is the case, but it sure looked like they were going to go into the cliche'd "awkward love triangle" thing. That would be another step in the wrong direction.

Even with all of these flaws Angel is still one of the better shows on TV. I'd just like to see them cut out some of the unnecessary melodrama.

hahn 10-29-02 04:09 PM

i get the sneaking suspicion that whedon is setting up Cordy as the "big bad". lorne read her and was so aghast at what he saw that he refused to tell anyone about it. what was THAT all about? anyhow, i'm thinking that's why cordy's the one who's gonna turn evil. you don't think whedon's going to actually let angel and cordy consummate their love, do you? that would take angel's soul away...again.

milo bloom 10-30-02 04:26 PM

What does the phrase "slouching towards Bethleham" mean? I think Lorne used it to describe Cordy's vision, and I could swear I've heard it used somewhere else.

Nevermind, just found it on google, from a poem by Yeats about the second coming.

Dr. DVD 10-30-02 05:02 PM

Originally posted by hahn
i get the sneaking suspicion that whedon is setting up Cordy as the "big bad". lorne read her and was so aghast at what he saw that he refused to tell anyone about it. what was THAT all about? anyhow, i'm thinking that's why cordy's the one who's gonna turn evil. you don't think whedon's going to actually let angel and cordy consummate their love, do you? that would take angel's soul away...again.
Interesting theory. I think Lorne was referring to anoter evil somewhere down the road, maybe the one in Sunnydale, but not Cordy.

Also,
Spoiler:
Seems I read somewhere that Angel will lose his soul again, or that Angelus will return. One or the other but I think it's one and the same.