Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Should Cartoon Network revamp G.I. Joe like other series?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-02, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I caught a few of the episodes back in August. I don't know what it was but it seemed pretty lame. I remember it being alot better when I was a kid. Cobra came off as a bunch of bumblers. The snow troopers the Joe team had would wear their polar suits in the jungle. I guess the best way to describe it was that it was basically a half hour "infomercial" for the toy line.

I would like to see Cartoon Network completely revamp the series like they did with Justice League and He-Man. Giving it more depth and better story lines. The potential is there, it just needs someone to act on it.

Anyone have an opinion on it?

Old 10-23-02, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Eevery now and then, they did an episode that was realistic and engaging.

My fave is the Dusty's a Traitor one. LOVE that 2-part episode.

Totally lost me when they got Dr Mindbender, Serpentor and that supernatural crap.
Old 10-23-02, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
no
I'm afraid they'd ruin the memories if I saw a new episode
although I've only seen one of the new transformers so I can't say for sure that they ruined that
Old 10-23-02, 10:30 PM

Re: Should Cartoon Network revamp G.I. Joe like other series?

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
I caught a few of the episodes back in August. I don't know what it was but it seemed pretty lame. I remember it being alot better when I was a kid. Cobra came off as a bunch of bumblers. The snow troopers the Joe team had would wear their polar suits in the jungle. I guess the best way to describe it was that it was basically a half hour "infomercial" for the toy line.

I would like to see Cartoon Network completely revamp the series like they did with Justice League and He-Man. Giving it more depth and better story lines. The potential is there, it just needs someone to act on it.

Anyone have an opinion on it?

I thought parts of it was lame too, mostly the subpar animation. You're right, the whole thing was to market toys. Of course, you only realize this now when you're many years older. We had a bunch of GIJOE stuff and gave it away to my cousin when we grew up. That's too bad because there's a nice market for them on Ebay. I could of made some money.

My brother and I thought it was funny to see the voluptous curves of the Baronness -- something we didn't pick up on before. We just liked the guns and the cool vehicles.
Old 10-23-02, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NO NO AND DOUBLE NO! look at how they trashed transformers and Masters of the Universe. Cartoon network has become the kiss of death of old series.
Old 10-24-02, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
NO NO AND DOUBLE NO! look at how they trashed transformers and Masters of the Universe. Cartoon network has become the kiss of death of old series.

Yeah, He-Man doesn't fly space ships or anything.... Not at all like the old show.
Old 10-24-02, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Verminaard
Yeah, He-Man doesn't fly space ships or anything.... Not at all like the old show.
and he stopped taking the steroids. how come he's so thin?

i say no to a revamp. although i'd love to see some more episodes with the salior guy, shipwreck. that guy and his parrot crack me up.
Old 10-24-02, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No thanks. I never liked GI Joe. But the new He-Man show rocks! And He-Man is getting good ratings for Cartoon Network (and is getting much better ratings than Transformers: Armada).
Old 10-24-02, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Verminaard
I think the idea was to establish an identity away from the old show. Much like how the first Batman movie was supposed to distance itself from the 1960's television series starring Adam West.

I still think a new G.I. Joe series would have "Justice League" like potential if handled properly. It's all speculation for now though.

Old 10-24-02, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are you people talking about the 1989 He-Man continuation "The New Adventures of He-man" when he and Skeletor time traveled to the future planet of Primus? That is the only one where he was flying ships in space.
Old 10-24-02, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by nightwing82
Are you people talking about the 1989 He-Man continuation "The New Adventures of He-man" when he and Skeletor time traveled to the future planet of Primus? That is the only one where he was flying ships in space.
Yeah. Unlike many my tolerance for the first series ended after a short time. I couldn't stand the voices, they grated on me.

Redo G.I. Joe? Its been done. And the result was ****. G.I. Joe Extreme was the only TV Show, cartoon or live action, I have ever seen that had the characters scream and shout for an entire episode.

That and it was just lame. The Joe team looked more like wack Michigan Militia types than soldiers, and since I liked the first series that is saying alot.