DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Snl - 10/19/02 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/244695-snl-10-19-02-a.html)

das Monkey 10-20-02 01:43 AM

Snl - 10/19/02

Perhaps I was just riding the high from Notre Dame's late night victory, but I was very entertained by tonight's episode. There weren't any real stellar sketches, but I didn't find anything to be particularly flat either. The only thing I disliked was the reuse of "I'm jes keeding" - it was great when Fallon used it, but really lame for the opening monologue.

Big credit to McCain for putting it all out there. He's not particularly funny, but he went for it and gave himself to each of the sketches. Many professional entertainers can't even do that. I also really enjoyed the White Stripes.

I had no idea what to expect from tonight's show, but overall, I was quite entertained.

das

Jackskeleton 10-20-02 02:15 AM

McCain did a good job, a lot of it was very slow, over all a decent show

Toxygen 10-20-02 03:55 AM

i was lmao the first hour or so, then it slowed down quite a bit.. but the whole interview segment was hilarious! "so... you're running for president... what if president Bush 'forgets' to run in 2004?" :lol:

just that segment alone made it worth watching

immortal_zeus 10-20-02 04:06 AM

I fell asleep before the show even came on, but woke up in time to catch "The Ambiguously Gay Duo". I fell asleep right after that...

The cartoon wasn't as funny as before but it was okay.

http://www.ameritech.net/users/dvdtalk/rome.gif

cliffzig 10-20-02 09:53 AM

Those of us living in the DC area had most of the show interrupted by news reports from a new sniper incident. I'll have to catch the rerun this summer.

TheMadMonk 10-20-02 09:54 AM

McCain did a good job. Was comfortable playing different characters, and seemed to know his lines (didn't sit there staring at the cue cards, like some actors do). I also liked the White Stripes. What an odd little outfit.

das Monkey 10-20-02 11:59 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth Toxygen •<HR SIZE=1>i was lmao the first hour or so, then it slowed down quite a bit.. but the whole interview segment was hilarious! "so... you're running for president... what if president Bush 'forgets' to run in 2004?" :lol:

just that segment alone made it worth watching
<HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

The best part of that is how Hammond's head got progressively closer to the desk as the interview went on. That's exactly what Russert does.

das

freedexter 10-20-02 01:57 PM

It was a good episode, much better than last week's disappointing SMG episode. McCain made a pretty good host.

Jadzia 10-20-02 08:15 PM

McCain was very good, I couldn;t believe he made fun of Ashcroft like that. No wonder most of the other Republicans hate him.

The dig at Barbra Streisand was also funny ("Since she thinks she can govern, I'll try doing her job.")

The Lifetime movie skit was also pretty funny.

AXP 103 10-20-02 11:31 PM

When Tracy Morgan, playing Harry Belafonte, said "Osama bin Laden is an Uncle Tom" I almost laughed by eyeballs out of my head.

A solid episode with great stuff from Darrel Hammond.

Shilex 10-21-02 03:01 AM

I thought it was a pretty good episode overall. I thought the Lifetime sketch went on a bit long, and I didn't really like the kid's morning show one. Other than that I laughed a good bit. The best skit IMO was the guy on the Weekend Update who was talking about running for Senate. I've never seen the guy on the show before but he had me rolling.

MicFreJas 10-21-02 03:37 AM

Originally posted by Jadzia
The dig at Barbra Streisand was also funny ("Since she thinks she can govern, I'll try doing her job.")
Bravo. That was a good segment.

pezboy 10-21-02 08:39 AM

"Oh, those are Steely Dan-O-Lanterns."

"But I heard he doesn't work weekends...Ay Dios Mio!"

"The poodle is the black man of the dog world"

movieking 10-21-02 09:43 AM

Morgan doing Belafonte was pretty funny. I am only halfway through watching the show so far (taped it), and McCain seems to be a bit uptight, but that is what I expected so far. Didn't like the Lifetime movie bit, but I really liked Hardball. Didn't think much of Wake Up Wakefield either.

Roto 10-21-02 11:30 AM

It was ok for SNL. I only watched for the White Stripes. McCain was good, considering the crap they made him do. The Streisand dig was pretty funny, but the rest of it was pretty boring to me. I probably would've liked the Russert impression if I had ever ever seen the show before, but the only thing I watch on MSNBC is National Geographic. It reminded me of Dana Carvey doing the McLaughlin Group when nobody knew who that guy was.

AXP 103 10-21-02 11:32 AM

Originally posted by movieking
Morgan doing Belafonte was pretty funny. I am only halfway through watching the show so far (taped it), and McCain seems to be a bit uptight, but that is what I expected so far. Didn't like the Lifetime movie bit, but I really liked Hardball. Didn't think much of Wake Up Wakefield either.
To cut McCain some slack, remember he still suffers greatly from his time as a POW. He cannot dress himself without assistance, so his stiff movements are expected.

He came across like your atypical political type in terms of sense of humor. He's got one, be he would never be confused for a life of the pary type.

Roto- Meet the Press is aired on NBC affiliates every Sunday morning, not MSNBC.

neale 10-21-02 11:49 AM

So-so episode.

It certainly wasn't the first time two people have done the same joke, but for some reason it made me mad that they did the exact same Sadam joke on Weekend Update that Conan did on his show a few nights earlier.

"Not only did Hussein win 100% of the vote, but he also won "Iraqi Idol." Both Conan and WU even had "Hussein" singing "A Moment Like This."

Like I said, not the first time a joke has been repeated by any means, but it was just odd.
---Conan and SNL are on the same network. And in the same building.
---Conan used to write for SNL
---If I'm not mistaken, Conan and SNL share a couple of writers (including Robert Smeigel)
---That same night that Conan did the joke, John McCain (who hosted this SNL) was a guest.

Okay. I'm done with all my crazy conspiracy talk now.

Roto 10-21-02 01:37 PM

I'm with you on the conspiracy. I wouldn't put it past them to recycle a Conan joke. They MUST have known if it was the night McCain was on Conan's show.

I would have to guess that they agreed to both use the joke, though I'd like to know how they ended up doing it. Weird.

auntiewinnie 10-21-02 02:08 PM

Does anyone know the name of the song in the Ambiguously Gay Duo cartoon that made them dance around all gay?

MFRONE 10-21-02 03:11 PM

Superman(It's Not Easy) by Five for Fighting is the song they dance to.

Creek Rat 10-21-02 05:35 PM

Originally posted by AXP 103
When Tracy Morgan, playing Harry Belafonte, said "Osama bin Laden is an Uncle Tom" I almost laughed by eyeballs out of my head.

A solid episode with great stuff from Darrel Hammond.

OH MY GAWD! That whole bit had me wetting myself and I don't think I've seen a funny SNL in years! " The Poodle is the Black man of the Dog World" Who will police the police, The terrorists!"

Rypro 525 10-21-02 06:39 PM

i thought it sucked (i only saw like 5 min because the shooting in virginia delayed snl out here and i was tired anyway.) so mccain was actually good? i only saw the tim russart skit and i didnt find it very funny but maybe thats just me.

mikehunt 10-22-02 11:52 PM

finally another ambiguously gay duo
and so far, (I taped it, about 40 minutes in) McCain is doing better than a lot of the pro actors they have on
any one ever notice how most of the pro actors they have on have to read the cue cards word for word?

mikehunt 10-23-02 12:23 AM

maybe he still is a republican after all. that streisand skit was awesome

MrN 10-23-02 02:59 AM

Pretty good episode. Esp. the Hammond sketch and the Lifetime movie.

Tina Fey seemed to be particulary inspired this week.