Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mad About You - Your Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-02, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mad About You - Your Thoughts

Hey,
As you may have noticed now I am into buying TV on DVD lately. SO i was wondering how many are getting the first season on DVD? Was this show all that great. I never really watched it, mostly just Seinfeld. Although i knoow it couldnt possibly be as good as Seinfeld is it even close to as funny? I was just hoping to get some feedback on wether to get this or not. Thanks as always.
Old 10-07-02, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's a really hit-or-miss show. People either love it or hate it, in my experience. I'm buying it, but I know many people here will tell you it's garbage. I'm curious to see what a $30MSRP TV season DVD will look like when most single-season TV shows are $50+.

Try and catch a few episodes on Lifetime if you want to know what it's like. They air every day between 11-12pm on the West Coast, anyway.
Old 10-07-02, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It was decent, but it got old after a few seasons. Nothing I'd be interested in purchasing.
Old 10-07-02, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It started going downhill when they added the baby, ImO.
Old 10-07-02, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
If they could CGI out the annoying characters, basically just have Helen Hunt running around in tight t-shirts, it would be fine.

It's especially hard watching Paul Reiser after watching Aliens.
Old 10-07-02, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know, the number of disc compared to the number of episodes on each disc have me worried.

Will I be Mad about compression?

I enjoyed the show and I am considering getting it. Just worries me if the quality will be up to bar.
Old 10-07-02, 06:12 PM
Uber Member

Since this is more about the show than the DVDs, I'm moving this to TV Talk.

Personally, I liked the show and during it's more popular seasons it was one of the more popular shows running. If you tend toward mainstream fare, you'll probably enjoy this.

Of course, all shows take a time to find their groove, so the first season may not be as good as the 3-5th.

I'll be picking it up though.
Old 10-07-02, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, I gotta say the first two seasons were great. Most of the jokes are based off of Paul Reiser's standup stuff, so if you're not a fan of that, you may not like those seasons. I personally really enjoyed the show. Some of the later years had some pretty serious issued that they dealt with nicely (I thought). Those last couple episodes before Jaime gets pregnant were some of my favorites.
Old 10-07-02, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to watch it, but it was one of those series that got progressively worse. The baby was the kiss of death. Helen Hunt was great to watch though...
Old 10-07-02, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, so strange that I ran across this thread today because just this morning I was thinking about how I loved this show and wish it was still on tv. I don't get Lifetime, so can't catch it there. Also didn't know about the DVD coming out.. will have to check that out!
Old 10-08-02, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Blade
Of course, all shows take a time to find their groove, so the first season may not be as good as the 3-5th.
I've got to agree. It got better later, since they got rid of those extra cast members that came with the film editing place. And I guess there was some guy...Sheldon or something. He was quickly forgotten.

I've got to say...Lifetime sucks. Sure, they show it occasionally, but usually they show "Golden Girls" or "Designing Women". Ugh. The worst part was that when I started watching at 1 AM, Helen has her baby, and then the series starts over again. Sure, the show went a bit downhill, but you can't just stop airing a series midway and start over. I wanted to watch the end of the series again, but I can't. Very irritating, because there will be lots of waiting until I can see the finale.
Old 10-08-02, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Mad About You is mostly just watching Helen Hunt run around the apartment looking hot. After 5 episodes or so, it begins to get annoying with Paul and his cousin popping in and out.

I'll pass.
D
Old 10-08-02, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by tupacwe
Was this show all that great.
Depends on your tastes. I thought it was definitely above-average for an American sitcom. Funny, insightful "couples" humor.

The first season was pretty good, and the show hit its stride after that and was fairly strong for the next few seasons. It did run longer than it should have and began to self-destruct when they added the baby subplot.

It's a cute show, but nothing I would consider buying (myself). Still, the show is pretty darn cheap (about $20 for the entire full season). You may want to pick it up and give it a spin -- the show changes a bit after season 1 (best friend Shelby is replaced by cousin Ira, etc.) but you'll get a strong feel for the show.
Old 10-08-02, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The show is very enjoyable and I liked it enough to watch it when it was on the air, but I'm not that interested in buying it. Although $20 for a season would be a great purchase for a sit-com fan making a blind buy. Plus a number of episodes feature a pre-friends Lisa Kudrow as Ursula (Phoebe's twin sister) but I'm not sure if she was in the 1st season or not.

I will say I may be tempted to get the second season when it comes out, just to get the "Natural History" episode which is one of my favorite episodes of any TV show ever.
Old 10-08-02, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Helen Hunt has a nice butt.

Thats really all I've got to add.
Old 10-08-02, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by CharlesC
Helen Hunt has a nice butt.
If you're looking to admire that aspect of her performance, may I suggest:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...05RDRI/dvdtalk