Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Thanks Ted F@@##$$ Turner for censoring classic cartoons.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-02, 03:16 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.a...20020927b.html

Cartoon Censorship Blamed on 'Politically Correct White Mentality'
By Marc Morano
CNSNews.com Senior Staff Writer
September 27, 2002

(CNSNews.com) - Classic cartoons originally produced between the 1930s and 1950s and a television staple for the baby boomer generation, are being edited for offensive material today "because of a politically correct white mentality," according to a cartoon historian. The sanitized cartoons feature Bugs Bunny, Tom & Jerry and a host of Warner Brothers Merrie Melodies characters.

According to cartoon expert Jon Cooke's Censored Cartoons website, many classic cartoons deemed offensive are being chopped up, re-dubbed and completely shelved because "Ted Turner refused to allow any of them to be transmitted on television or released on home videotape."

Turner Entertainment owns the Cartoon Network, the networks TNT and TBS, and entire libraries of classic cartoons, including the complete Bugs Bunny collection. In 2001, AOL Time Warner merged Turner Entertainment with the WB broadcast network.

The decision to sanitize the cartoons is not sitting well with some.

"It's the politically correct white mentality that is really afraid of anything that could be offensive that is just quickly judged a stereotype and offending," Jerry Beck, a cartoon historian, told CNSNews.com.

Beck, co-author with Henry Holt of Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies: A Complete Guide to Warner Bros. Cartoons, said the recent Cartoon Network cuts have been especially "ridiculous."

"People can explain to their kids that's the way the world used to be, but we can't do that anymore. It's whitewashed, it's definitely whitewashed now," Beck said.

Beck sees the cartoon edits as achieving the opposite of their intention. "As much as the world wants us to embrace diversity and celebrate our cultures, they also want us to remove those things from all these films. They want us to take out things that make us different so that we are all homogenized and of one," Beck said.

Some of the cartoons were initially edited in the late 1960s, following the civil rights movement, when they were packaged for television reruns, but some of the more sweeping edits have occurred in the last 3 years under Turner Entertainment's Cartoon Network, according to Beck.

The Censored Cartoons web site details how animator Tex Avery's cartoon titled "Little Tinker" from 1948 originally featured a skunk disguised as Frank Sinatra singing to a crowd of bunnies who are popping out of the ground shouting "Frankie!" In 2001, the Cartoon Network cut out a scene where "a black female bunny" said, "Love dat man!" (sic) Broadcasts prior to 2001 had left in this split second clip.

A 1938 cartoon titled "Jungle Jitters," described as featuring "a dopey traveling salesman [who] knocks on the door of a hut belonging to a group of cannibal African natives, who would love to have him for dinner" has been completely banned from television.

A 1941 Bugs Bunny cartoon titled "All This and Rabbit Stew" has joined the banned list as well. The "Censored Looney Tunes" web site describes the cartoon as "Bugs is being hunted by a slow-witted black hunter with a weakness for gambling."

"Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips" is another banned television cartoon. The wartime propaganda short, made in 1944, is described in an essay on the cultural watchdog website FictionFunHouse.com, as Bugs "defeats myopic, buck-toothed Japanese soldiers by dispensing grenade-filled ice cream bars accompanied by racist quips." Another cartoon featuring Bugs in black face imitating the Al Jolson caricature has also been banned from television.

Some of the film edits are minute. A 1952 Hanna-Barbera Tom and Jerry cartoon titled "Little Runaway" is now airing on the Cartoon Network minus a fraction of a scene which features a trash can cover hitting Tom's facing causing him to momentarily appear to be Chinese.

Cartoon Network edited out a brief scene from another Tom and Jerry short where Tom emerges from the laundry looking like an Indian chief.

TBS and TNT networks, both affiliates of Turner Entertainment, deleted a scene from another Tom and Jerry short where an exploding oven leaves Jerry with a momentary black face.

'Politically Correct Thing'

By the year 2000, according to Beck, "The politically correct thing had gone all the way to native Americans so all cartoons that had Indian gags are cut out. There is an Eskimo in one of Bugs Bunny's so they cut that out, there is an Aborigine character that they cut out."

Beck also cautions that fans of Popeye should not expect to see too much of the pipe smoking sailor man on television reruns. "They don't like Popeye anymore for a lot of reasons ... he smokes, he gets into fights, he beats everybody up ... he's not Sponge Bob," Beck said, referring to the inoffensive contemporary children's cartoon Sponge Bob Square Pants.

Beck also said any behavior considered sexually aggressive in old cartoons has also been deleted. In an Avery's Red Riding Hood parody cartoon, a wolf character's "eyeballs pop out of his head when he sees the sexy Red Riding Hood. Well, that's sexist right now, you can't show that anymore," Beck lamented.

A Cartoon Network spokesperson, speaking on background, told CNSNews.com that the network did not have a specific policy regarding the editing of offensive material from cartoons. "We have a standards and practices group and we try
to do things that are non-offensive," the spokesperson said.

'Enlightened Times'

Gabriel Shanks, a movie reviewer and film expert who wrote a review called "Th-Th-That's All, Folks: It's History for Some Classic Looney Toons," believes the editing of classic cartoons is not censorship.

"Is this censorship? My feeling: not on your life ... these cartoons are the property of a private company," Shanks wrote.

Shanks believes the objectionable cartoons should be made available only to adults.

"I can see no legitimate reason for these cartoons to be shown to children today," Shanks said. "As funny as they may be, the racial attitudes in some of those cartoons are pretty frightening in these more enlightened times," Shanks wrote.

Beck agrees that "kids probably shouldn't be raised on [classic cartoons]" because "we have moved on, those cartoons are from another era." But he believes the particularly objectionable cartoons should be made available to adults on late night television or [video.]

'Time Capsules'

Beck noted that even though he was a baby boomer raised on 1960s reruns of 3 Stooges comedies, violent Bugs Bunny cartoons and such Popeye propaganda cartoons from World War Two as "You're a Sap Mr. Jap," the programs did not adversely effect him.

"It didn't shape my world view, in fact it informed me about how the world lived. As I grew older, I began to appreciate these things even more as time capsules," Beck explained.

Speedy Gonzales was nearly taken off the Cartoon Network last year because the hard drinking rodent was deemed an offensive stereotype to Hispanics. However, a coalition of Hispanic groups led by the League of Latin American Citizens successfully fought to have Speedy return to the airwaves, under the slogan "Viva Speedy."

'Okay to Make Fun of White Guys'

"If we are going to start censoring jokes because people are offended, like the whole Mr. Magoo controversy where blind people were offended, name me a cartoon character that doesn't offend someone," Beck said.

"Bugs Bunny will be attacked because he is from Brooklyn. The Brooklyn people don't like him making fun of their accent," he said. "The NRA will be against Elmer Fudd because he is a bad hunter," he added.

Beck noted that Fudd's depiction, as a redneck hunter with a speech impediment has not been censored, despite being possibly offensive to some. "Unfortunately, at the moment, it's okay to make fun of white guys. You can do anything you want to white guys," he said.

"The future can be told in cartoons. It's going to look like Sponge Bob Square Pants. Let's make it about something that can't be offensive," Beck predicted.

"You got to say 'shut up!' to the people who are doing this. If you don't get it, go away, turn the channel, put on another [video]," Beck said.
Old 09-28-02, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ah, a lot of noise over nothing. There are hundreds of Warner Bros. cartoons, and if half a dozen get pulled from the cartoon network rotation, nobody probably would have missed them. If we hadn't seen this story, none of us would have even noticed.
Old 09-28-02, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
I've seen "All This and Rabbit Stew." There is no redeeming value in that cartoon whatsoever, other than to give chuckles to closet Aryans.
Old 09-28-02, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 354 Likes on 229 Posts
On a similar note, how do people here feel about Disney not releasing Song of the South in the US? I really liked that movie as a kid, and went out of my way to copy a Japanese laserdisc several years ago. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Uncle Remus is the hero of the story. Sure, because of the time it's set in, he's subservient to the whites, but he's still the one with the most sense. And of the kids, it's the two little hooligan white boys who are portrayed as trashy, not the black boy. I don't understand why Disney won't release it here. It's not all good, but it has many redeeming qualities, and I thought it was an important Disney movie worthy of a dvd release.

tasha
Old 09-28-02, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i enjoyed those tex avery red riding hood shorts. i sure hope that ted gets his head out of his ass and releases all of these cartoons on dvd uncut and uncensord and let the parents decide if this is offensive or funny.
Old 09-28-02, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Um, what does it has to do with movie?
Old 09-28-02, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Cartoon Network edited out a brief scene from another Tom and Jerry short where Tom emerges from the laundry looking like an Indian chief.
From the guy that owns the Braves whose fans perform the Tomahawk chop???
Old 09-28-02, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I didn't read the whole story but there can't be that much to edit. There's probably only a couple of episodes that may be slighty offensive to some. But hell yea, I'm all for them to be uncut on the dvds. Someday...
Old 09-28-02, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
OMG, why would Ted cut the Tom and Jerry thing? That's insane and totally wrong! This time, you've gone too far, Ted!

for Jane Fonda dumping his sorry ass!
Old 09-29-02, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
**** ted.

[Edited because of censor bypassing. - D.]

Last edited by Dead; 10-08-02 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-29-02, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
According to cartoon expert Jon Cooke's Censored Cartoons website, many classic cartoons deemed offensive are being chopped up, re-dubbed and completely shelved...

Here's the 11 toons that are "shelved":

"All This and Rabbit Stew"-Avery/1941
"Angel Puss"-Jones/1944
"Clean Pastures"-Freleng/1937
"Coal Black & De Sebben Dwarfs"-Clampett/1943
"Goldilocks and the Jivin' Bears"-Freleng/1944
"Hittin' The Trail to Hallelujah Land"-1931
"The Isle Of Pingo Pongo"-Avery/1938
"Jungle Jitters"-Freleng/1938
"Sunday Go To Meetin' Time"-Freleng/1936
"Tin Pan Alley Cats"-Clampett/1943
"Uncle Tom's Bungalow"-Avery/1937

I've seen 6 of the 11.

Hard to believe, but I actually enjoyed Tin Pan,Coal Black, & Goldilocks due to their incredible energy (There are some dance scenes and musical numbers that are quite a sight to see, including a never-ending wailing trumpet set to a "ROSEBUD" kiss in Coal Black) and to tell you the truth, "Coal Black" and "Goldilocks" are fine-looking cartoon characters, obviously sketched from someone like Dorothy Dandridge....
BUT as for the male and hefty-female characters, Yes, their caracatures are downright offensive and I can see the censorship necessary which is quite a shame because as I had pointed out, there are some extravagant musical & visual sequences in those 3 toons..Minus the obvious sterotypes..And believe me, they ARE un-called for.

If only the animators knew better.
Old 09-29-02, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't really care if the cartoons are censored for TV. I DO care if they are censored for DVD. That is if Turner ever decides to release them on DVD.
Old 09-29-02, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I grew up with a lot of these cartoons, and I notice watching them now that they were uncut then. I'm 28 years old, and I don't have a problem with any of the stereotypes. I actually saw that Tom and Jerry one where the thing on his head would have made him look like a Chinese person, and I noticed it was cut, but I saw enough to realize that was what the gag was going to be. Seriously, the only stereotypes I have of asian people come from real life experience of working for a Japanese owned company, with Japanese people. Thing is, some stereotypes have a basis in reality, that's something else these people need to remember. These cartoons are a snapshot of time, and it would be a shame to lose them forever. Sell them mailorder to adults only if you have to, but don't bury them.
Old 09-29-02, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like the guy saying how they can't make fun of any other race (Hispanics, Blacks, Asian, etc) but they can show all the bumbling idiotic white guys they want. How is that fair?

If everyone realizes that its a cartoon, and doesnt take it so serious there wouldnt be a problem!
Old 09-29-02, 02:07 PM

Lucky old Ted's not in charge of a publishing house. He could edit some classic literature, or possibly history books and re-release them based upon the current day's "political correctness" like in "1984".

Where's Winston Smith when you need him?
Old 09-29-02, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
We need to ban all the Mark Twain books from the libraries of the world (especially schools,) because of the way he used the "N" word, and showed African Americans as slaves, etc.

Old 09-30-02, 09:46 AM
Banned

I love when ever some girl's nips or some violent scene gets cut, all you are all over this site claiming the end of the world.

Now that it's some old cartoons, some of you actually think it's a good idea.

I've seen "All This and Rabbit Stew." There is no redeeming value in that cartoon whatsoever, other than to give chuckles to closet Aryans.

Hey, how about letting me decide what is "redeeming" eh? I think Salo is a piece of crap, yet if someone dares saying it has no redeeming value, they are ridiculed and slandered.

BUT as for the male and hefty-female characters, Yes, their caracatures are downright offensive and I can see the censorship necessary which is quite a shame because as I had pointed out, there are some extravagant musical & visual sequences in those 3 toons..Minus the obvious sterotypes..And believe me, they ARE un-called for.

Yes, too bad they weren't as enlighted as you are. In fact, I"ll be in 100 years those people will look at us and our society for legalized abortion, cloning and other things and wonder why we didn't know better.

Hindsight is SSSOOOOOO 20/20.
Old 09-30-02, 09:57 AM

Hell Scot1458, I agree with your arguement 100 percent. I'd rather decide what I want to watch then see some sanitize version for my protection.

Disney has released uncensored cartoons on DVD and their one of the most kid friendly companies out there. I'll be upset if Turner puts his sanitize cartoons anywhere near a dvd.
Old 09-30-02, 07:42 PM
Banned

I can understand from a legal standpoint when legalized extortion clubs like the NAACP boycot and sue like crazy, yet why is there fanfare called "activism" and if the a parent viewing concil complains of too much tits in movie A they are considered "prunes" and other nice adjectives.

If it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander.
Old 10-07-02, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Scot1458
I love when ever some girl's nips or some violent scene gets cut, all you are all over this site claiming the end of the world.

Now that it's some old cartoons, some of you actually think it's a good idea.

Hey, how about letting me decide what is "redeeming" eh? I think Salo is a piece of crap, yet if someone dares saying it has no redeeming value, they are ridiculed and slandered.

Yes, too bad they weren't as enlighted as you are. In fact, I"ll be in 100 years those people will look at us and our society for legalized abortion, cloning and other things and wonder why we didn't know better.

Hindsight is SSSOOOOOO 20/20.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Quality post Scot1458. I totally agree.
Old 10-08-02, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Kind of scary how the PC crowd wants to re-write history.

Bury the stuff that's inconsistent with their "ideal world."

You know why the Japanese slurs and racial stereotypes are in a few of those cartoons? Because the Japanese started a war with the United States! That's part of history.

OK, so the anti-Japanese cartoons should probably be on DVD only, as a special package highlighting how the war affected the entertainment/cartoon industry.

But the rest? Some of that stuff is really nitpicking. Some of it probably shouldn't be shown for kids. But it shouldn't be buried - it's all a part of history! How can anyone know how far we've come if we totally sanitize history?

Maybe we've come too far.

All I know is that when I saw these "offensive" cartoons as a kid back in the 70's I understood that most of these things were caracatures, and I sure got the Japanese bashing (even as a kid I knew about WWII), and I understood that they were just making fun of their enemy in wartime, so I never took it seriously for even a second.
Old 10-08-02, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Scot1458
...and if the a parent viewing concil complains of too much tits in movie A they are considered "prunes" and other nice adjectives.
While I loved the line about legalized extortion clubs (right on, brother), the term is "prudes", not "prunes". Although prune-like people do form a large percentage of these organizations.

Old 10-08-02, 11:26 PM

I haven't seen them in a long time but I remember some Tom & Jerry cartoons which had Tom interacting with the black mammy-type maid. You never saw her face, but you'd see her large bod yelling at him in a "black"-sounding voice (yeah, yeah. I know... what sounds "black"?). Probably banned, which is too bad cos they were pretty funny ones.

Funny the original article keeps mentioning SpongeBob Squarepants being harmless and non-offending since speculation is that he's gay. I'm waiting for the protests to appear:

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/...478240,00.html
Old 10-08-02, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by otisburg
I haven't seen them in a long time but I remember some Tom & Jerry cartoons which had Tom interacting with the black mammy-type maid. You never saw her face, but you'd see her large bod yelling at him in a "black"-sounding voice (yeah, yeah. I know... what sounds "black"?). Probably banned, which is too bad cos they were pretty funny ones.[/url]
Not Banned, Mammy is redubbed. Which in some regards is ten times worse.