Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the big deal over "American Idol " ?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-29-02, 01:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I just watched this show for the first time last night. Of course with all the enterainment shows like "Access Hollywood","Enterainment Tonight", "Extra" etc.. are going ape over this stuff it's overkill. I know that once they(the singers) are gone they will still be celebrities. I can imagine them getting record deals, time on "Hollywood Squares", movie parts, CD deals etc after the show. I've also noticed that Paula Abdul should be a impartial judge after all she is reporting on what's happening behind the scenes to "Enterainment Tonight". Should'n that show have someone reporting who is not involved with this show?
Anyone care to fill me on what's the big deal over this show? Another reality show at that?
Old 08-29-02, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see anything special about it either. I've never enjoyed any "reality" based tv show and don't see myself following anything like it in the near future.
Old 08-29-02, 01:42 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Copenhagen
I don't see anything special about it either. I've never enjoyed any "reality" based tv show and don't see myself following anything like it in the near future.
Word! Very well said!
Old 08-29-02, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see whats the point. the winner gets a record deal? what happens when the record bombs and this Idol is nothing more then yesterday's news?
Old 08-29-02, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Talent does not equal record sales (look at Britney Spears for an example at the other end of the spectrum).

But these types of shows are decent at uncovering talent that might have gone unnoticed, and that would be a shame.
Old 08-29-02, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i wouldn't know, i haven't watched a second of it.
Old 08-29-02, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Sorry, but did this really require a separate thread? I mean, there are enough "AI" discussions going on around here.
Old 08-29-02, 11:29 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm fine with it. I can see people in the regular AI threads getting upset by someone posting this sort of discussion in there.
Old 08-29-02, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[sarcasm] I wanna know what's up with that whole NYPD Blue show and why it's so popular, I think it is stupid and don't watch it. I mean, I watched it once and didn't get it so it must be stupid. I have a friend that has never watched it and he thinks it is really stupid. [/sarcasm]
Old 08-29-02, 11:56 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
[sarcasm] I wanna know what's up with that whole NYPD Blue show and why it's so popular, I think it is stupid and don't watch it. I mean, I watched it once and didn't get it so it must be stupid. I have a friend that has never watched it and he thinks it is really stupid. [/sarcasm]
Good one Tsar
AI is popular just the same as Survivor, Big Brother, The Mole, Fear Factor, Dog Eat Dog, etc are. They involve "real" people and they are simple to follow. To each his own. Oh, and I REALLY hope Kelly wins next week!!!
Old 08-29-02, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The first time I watched it they were still auditioning for Hollywood and it was absolutely hilarious...all the terrible people auditioning.

I continued to watch to see more of that, but as soon as they pared down to the few talented people in the group it became interesting to see them week to week and how they do with the genre or style that it thrown at them and a few of the people have a lot of talent and I like to watch that sort of thing.

Plus it is interesting to see how these kids are learning that some of this stuff ain't so easy to do...it exposes to them their weaknesses (Burt Bacharach anyone?) and strengths and they can selectivley improve those areas for their future. I like to see how they deal with songs that many of them have never even heard before. That coupled with learning the song in ~5 days with a custom arrangement of the song (nothing is done straight) makes for some damn interesting TV watching.

I could really care less what the outcome of the show is and what the future holds for the winner, I just like watching the performances.

Is it a media hype engine? Certainly

Is it a blatant product placement showcase? Abso-Focus-lutely

If you look beyond that there is a decent show to watch for the performances and for the science of it all.

Watching a show for the first time when the thing will be over next week is a poor way to judge a show, so unfortunately you judgement holds no creedence. It would be like watching the worst episode in season 9 of The X-Files and saying "what a crap show I will never watch it."

I guess what it comes down to is if you don't like it...well...you have a remote, so use it.

Last edited by palebluedot; 08-29-02 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-29-02, 01:00 PM
Banned

The show sucks, I can't even begin to understand how these things get snowballing. Hype-O-F**kin'-Rama

I for one look for something more in my entertainment than hype.
Old 08-29-02, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Pants
The show sucks, I can't even begin to understand how these things get snowballing. Hype-O-F**kin'-Rama

I for one look for something more in my entertainment than hype.
Thanks for your viewpoint.

P.S. It really sucks that you are forced to watch this program. Perhaps it is time to get a television that:

1. Has the ability to change the channel off of Fox.
2. Has a power button.

Go Kelly, Go.
Old 08-29-02, 01:53 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I watched a little bit of it for the first time last night myself. The kids are talented, no doubt about that. But too bad they are only celebrating performers rather than true musicians.

The real reason the show became popular was because it had a good villain. Apparently that Simon guy was pretty mean in the first few episodes, and it was hilarious to watch those wannabes put in their place. I wish I'd seen some of those episodes, but I was watching The Mole.
Old 08-29-02, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I watch it, and I think it sucks. Why? Unlike those other reality based game shows, they have an out come and its gone. they either get money, or the journey is over. with American Idol (Which I would much rather call it that then to get confused with AI the movie), it's only half way of the journey. they get a prize of what? getting a deal of some sort and they still have to prove to the world that they can be an Idol. it's like watching a movie and then boom, it ends an hour into it without any resolution. can these people really make it in the industry singing other people's songs? Maybe they should be able to sing original stuff.
Old 08-29-02, 02:58 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
can these people really make it in the industry singing other people's songs?
Ask Tiffany.
Old 08-29-02, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I only watched it in the beginning. That was when it was good. There was nothing better than watching people that thought they had talent going in and sounding like a cat that just had a firecracker blow up in it's rear end.
Old 08-29-02, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Is Star Search on anymore?
Old 08-29-02, 06:37 PM
Banned

I dont get it either. Why does the public watch this reality stuff in droves and whats sad is that the more people watch the more we get.
I am sick of it.
It is being covered on everything now and I am sick of it. Sick!!!

And now suddenly Paula Abdul is god even though she could never really sing in the first place and dissapeared because of it.

Id much rather see a new Drama or comedy show.
Old 08-29-02, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't watch it and never have, so I'm not really prepared to say whether or not the show sucks (but being on Fox, I'm willing to handicap those odds! )

What I am tired of is not being able to turn on the TV, the "news" or listen to the radio without hearing about the show. This obviously isn't the first time, its happened before and will happen again.

I'm just waiting till its over so that I don't have to hear about it anymore.
Old 08-29-02, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

they can perform someone's song.. but can they keep up enough material to have a career of there own last to long?
Old 08-29-02, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
they can perform someone's song.. but can they keep up enough material to have a career of there own last to long?
I doubt it, but I liked watching the people try out for the show. Funny stuff.
Old 08-29-02, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

though, I must admit, Nikki was pretty cute. oh well, nothing left to see there now.
Old 08-29-02, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Like they would be performing their own creations later?
Likely the creation of the old pop creation machine.
Old 08-29-02, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

people only go for that sort of thing for so long, they want substance after a while. thats why these generic bands fade away. no substance = no life time

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.