Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Justice League episodes

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Justice League episodes

Old 08-16-02, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Justice League episodes

Anybody know if there are more Justice League episodes in the works? It seemed like kind of a short season and they've replayed it about 3 times so far. Is the series cancelled and being used as filler?
Old 08-16-02, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts
I think the new season begins in September. Here is good website for info:

http://www.jlanimated.com/index.php
Old 08-16-02, 02:15 PM
Banned

I am a big fan of JLA but wasnt able to see any of these. Were they good?
I have seen VCD copies on ebay and I have been thinking of getting them.
Old 08-16-02, 02:57 PM

5 or 6 new episodes will begin airing every Friday begining September 6.

On Saturday, Sept. 7, @ 7p, Cartoon Network's "Cartoon Theater" will air a special 3-part JL 'movie' called 'The Savage Time.' It's a what-if story about an evil force that takes over Germany's army during WWII and uses it to try and take over the world...and only the Justice League can stop them.
Old 08-16-02, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can also check out toonzone.net for all the latest cartoon news. JL is doing quite well, they just stretch the season out really far, which means a lot of repeats in between new eps. It has already been renewed for a second season.

As for quality - I think it's ok, but nowhere near as good as Batman the Animated Series. My biggest complaint is that none of the superheroes use their abilities to the fullest extent - and often not at all. Probably because if they did no bad guys would stand a chance, but still. I'd personally watch a few before paying for them. Just catch the repeats.
Old 08-17-02, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I picked up the DVD because in my area, I couldn't find them on at a time when I wasn't watching first runs of other shows. I'll try to find them after I leave here and start taping again.

Red Dog - Didn't know you were into JL too.
Old 08-17-02, 11:55 AM

I like it. I don't think that some of them use their powers very well. GL seems to use his for energy blasts and to make protective bubbles. They could have been a little more imaginitive in his case.

But its OK. You are right - Batman was much much better.
Old 08-17-02, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I hope they release these on DVD, but I've still got my fingers crossed for all the Batman toons to come to DVD as well, they ruled.

Last edited by zero; 08-19-02 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-17-02, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I have the Batman Superman movie on DVD and the first three eps of Justice League. They were released earlier this year. BJ's had them real cheap.
Old 08-17-02, 11:22 PM

I agree that they don't use hteir powers to their full extent - they'd be practically unbeatable and for a television series, as with most story-formed entertainment, conflict is what drives the story and characters and unbeatable characters don't make for dramatic struggles.

The Flash should never be tied up, knocked out, stopped, etc. He moves like he's going at a top speed of 50 MPH in the series.

The Martian Manhunter should be able to defeat ANYTHING that doesn't have a match on hand.

Green Lantern. The Kyle Rayner version wouldn've been more appropriate...he IS an artist. BUt the PC crowd wanted something more than Caucasian League of America and picked John Stewart.

Wonder Woman...not a bad version.

Hawkgirl...Michelle Rodriguez and her have some things in common.
Old 08-18-02, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Actually, I think their use of powers has nothing to do with the weakness of the show. Its not good, only fair, because the stories stink and the designs are crappy.

So far, the only halfway decent story was the alternate universe one. The rest have been very pale compared to the Batman and even Superman series (and at east Batman Beyond deliverd a good villain or action episode every now and then). The worst thing is they take two/three episodes to tell a lame Aquaman, Gorilla Grod, or Amazonian story, whereas Batman and Superman only needed 20 minutes to tell stories infinately better.

And the designs are pretty bad. The headquaters is bland. The ships barely have any variation its all generic sleek wether it be on Earth, in another galaxy, or in Atlantis, they all look like they were made in the same factory.

Maybe this new season with the intro of the League of Doom will improve, but I think they neeed more inspired writing and design crew, first and foremost. The characters are easy, a wealth of knowledge how to do them right, but its the rest that needs fixing.
Old 08-18-02, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
My wife and I were watching recently, and she asked just who the hell the Martian Manhunter was. I remembered buying a reprint of his origin story a few years back, but it's still packed somewhere and I don't remember the details. What's his story?

tks
Old 08-18-02, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In the JL series now running, it was explained that he was the last Martian left standing to guard over the Parasites, who almost conquered Mars completely. It was during one of his hibernation periods that a human astronaut reawakened the Parasites who then tried to conquer earth. He was brought over and held captive untill Superman and Batman made the save.
Old 08-19-02, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by elektra
I picked up the DVD because in my area, I couldn't find them on at a time when I wasn't watching first runs of other shows. I'll try to find them after I leave here and start taping again.

Red Dog - Didn't know you were into JL too.

Well Superfriends was my favorite cartoon growing up so I have to be a fan of JL.

GL is okay - I probably would have preferred Kyle Rayner as well. The thing that disturbs me about JL is that Superman is pretty much useless. He is always getting shocked or electrocuted or whatever. I understand the need to power him down, but I think that they could have found a better medium.
Old 08-19-02, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog

Well Superfriends was my favorite cartoon growing up so I have to be a fan of JL.

GL is okay - I probably would have preferred Kyle Rayner as well. The thing that disturbs me about JL is that Superman is pretty much useless. He is always getting shocked or electrocuted or whatever. I understand the need to power him down, but I think that they could have found a better medium.
Even in his own animted series they powered him down to the point where almost anything hurt him. Droves me nuts that he kept getting electrocuted and it hurt him,why?? hes SUPERMAN nothing is supposed to hurt him...well nothing but one bad game made for him on the N64 that was just horrible.
Old 08-19-02, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Wasn’t it John Byrne who started this, when he took over writing chores for the Supe comic in the 80’s? He had Supes costume get tattered and blood/bruises appear on Superman (which I guess he borrowed from Frank Miller’s Dark Night Returns). Honestly, I kinda’ like that. I mean, the central problem with him was always being so strong, especially in context of being in a group, that the Superman of old was so indestructible, why on Earth would he need partners if he never got harmed by anything but Kryptonite?

Similarly, one of the things I liked about the Superman cartoon was the slow way he flew, how it wasn’t an easy zip to one end of the Earth, that he had trouble catching up to stuff, speeding up. I just think it makes a more interesting character when they are vulnerable as opposed to (forgive the pun) too superhuman. He’s still the baddest guy on the block... once he gets up.
Old 08-19-02, 03:03 PM

Well the way to overcome the problem of them being too strong is to present problems or villains that are stronger or smarter than any one of them is. Thus they would need to be clever or use teamwork.

The Gorilla Grodd episodes was an example of powering them down overmuch: the Flash couldn't even catch up with a truck on city streets. Is a Flash that can barely manage 30 MPH really that much of a bad ass?
Old 08-19-02, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched Superfriends as well. I read comics so much as a kid, I could never seem to get enough of the characters. I've taped a few, but unfortunately, I'm watching them out of sequence.
Old 08-19-02, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Originally posted by milo bloom
My wife and I were watching recently, and she asked just who the hell the Martian Manhunter was. I remembered buying a reprint of his origin story a few years back, but it's still packed somewhere and I don't remember the details. What's his story?

tks

And on the Underpower thing...Martian Manhunter is almost as powerful a Superman in the DC Universe. But based on the cartoon network series, he's nothing more than a Psychic who can turn turn from solid state to a non-solid state. Like a Professor X/Vision mixture.

from the site:

He is now highly regarded as one of the most powerful and noble heroes among Earth's metahuman community.
Check here..

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-19-02 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-19-02, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Slumbering Fist
Wasn’t it John Byrne who started this, when he took over writing chores for the Supe comic in the 80’s? He had Supes costume get tattered and blood/bruises appear on Superman (which I guess he borrowed from Frank Miller’s Dark Night Returns). Honestly, I kinda’ like that. I mean, the central problem with him was always being so strong, especially in context of being in a group, that the Superman of old was so indestructible, why on Earth would he need partners if he never got harmed by anything but Kryptonite?

Similarly, one of the things I liked about the Superman cartoon was the slow way he flew, how it wasn’t an easy zip to one end of the Earth, that he had trouble catching up to stuff, speeding up. I just think it makes a more interesting character when they are vulnerable as opposed to (forgive the pun) too superhuman. He’s still the baddest guy on the block... once he gets up.

They HAD to do Lower Supe's powers. They needed to breath new life into the franchise and with him so powereful it actually limited the storylines.

The same method was applied back in the 70's when the "ANTI-HEROES" started showing up. Suddenly, heroes had "real life" issues. Drugs(Speedy), booze(Iron Man), mentally unstable(Batman), not beingable to have kids(Black canary)

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-19-02 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-20-02, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk God

As I said, powering him down is one thing. Turning him into someone whose sole purpose is to get shocked/electrocuted and thrown around is quite another.

Verminaard - on your Flash comment. If he can only go 30 MPH, what's the point? He might as well borrow the Batmobile.
Old 08-20-02, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wonderwoman seems to have gotten the opposite treatment. On the JLA cartoon shes portrayed as being nearly equal to supes, power wise. The episode where she kicked his ass was particularly amusing.
Old 08-20-02, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Thrush
Wonderwoman seems to have gotten the opposite treatment. On the JLA cartoon shes portrayed as being nearly equal to supes, power wise. The episode where she kicked his ass was particularly amusing.

She definitely got powered up. I don't have a problem with that but she really should not be that close to being Superman's equal.
Old 08-20-02, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Red Dog

She definitely got powered up. I don't have a problem with that but she really should not be that close to being Superman's equal.

I do believe over the years DC has made Wonder Woman nearly as powerful as Superman. She's no longer just the "JL Secretary" from the '40's.