Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

with dvd releases, is there really any need to watch TV anymore?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

with dvd releases, is there really any need to watch TV anymore?

Old 08-03-02, 10:05 AM

is there really any need to watch TV anymore?

heres a question for everyone. it seems these days anything and everything that comes on tv ends up on dvd. so why bother watching it on tv if ya know a few months latter it will be on dvd with out any tv adds, or waiting for another week to see the next part, and will this end up hurting tv stations in the long run after.

i myself don't have cable tv,dishtv etc. i just use a bunny ears... to get tv to come just for my local news. even my kids live with out cable tv. i only use the tv for my dvds or like i say local tv news. is there anyone else who really watch's tv to were they need to have cable etc. does anyone think that someday cable coudl end up free with the fact that everything is on dvd these or ends up on dvd??

just my stupid thought of the day..
Old 08-03-02, 10:37 AM
Admin Emeritus

Moved & edited thread title to distinguish from other "why watch TV?" thread.

Despite the trend of releasing shows on DVD, some shows will never be put on DVD. Also, I'd rather watch some shows for free and not buy them for $100 a season.
Old 08-03-02, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Static Cling
Despite the trend of releasing shows on DVD, some shows will never be put on DVD. Also, I'd rather watch some shows for free and not buy them for $100 a season.
Thats pretty much it. Agreed
Old 08-03-02, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Cable will never just give up being a paid thing, since it is pretty much a successful buisness. It's not like the internet will be free since dsl and cable modems are out.. right.

As for watching tv. there is some stuff I would like to only watch once. then again, there is tivo.

But I wouldn't want to be forced to buy a tv series I have no big interest in.

Buffy is great, but I could watch it maybe once. oppose to X-files which I can watch over and over

Also, I would like to see it first on tv. Then there is stuff that will never see the light of day on dvd.
Old 08-03-02, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As soon as the Complete Seinfeld Collection comes out I wont have to watch...that and my HBO stuff. Of course Seinfeld prolly wont come out on dvd due to the ridiculous amount of cash it makes in syndication.
Old 08-03-02, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know about giving up TV entirely, but I could certainly probably survive cutting down to basic cable. I rarely watch TV as much as I used to and often wonder why I keep around my current cable package. Tho there are still shows I like to see from time to time on the channels that would not be in the basic package.
Old 08-03-02, 02:26 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by calhoun07
I don't know about giving up TV entirely, but I could certainly probably survive cutting down to basic cable.
I think I'm going to do that. I've seen all the MST3Ks they play on Sci-Fi, I've taped all of Sports Night off Comedy Central (and now it's coming out on DVD, huzzah! ), and Combat Missions ended its run a while ago on USA (I can't believe USA isn't part of basic cable). MTV isn't a huge draw for me anymore. I think I'll wait until they air the "Real World Lost Season" movie next week and cancel afterwards.
Old 08-03-02, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I think I might be able to give up TV entirely. The only series I'm watching at the moment is, somewhat embarrassingly, Disney's Even Stevens. This Fall, I'll grudgingly return to watching Buffy and Angel, and episodes from those series aren't too far off in the horizon. There's not really much else I find particularly interesting.
Old 08-03-02, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How do you know what's worth buying unless you watch it first? I follow over 100 series in a given year, not counting sports. It would get a bit expensive to buy/rent those, don't ya think?

It costs me $20+ to take two or more people to the movie theater. Buying the DVD instead makes perfect sense.

It costs between $50 - $100 to buy a season of a TV series (depending on number of episodes). It certainly doesn't cost near as much for me to watch it at home.

And there ain't nothing like ritualistic mornings at work. OMG, did you see [insert show here] last night?

das
Old 08-03-02, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes - David Letterman
Old 08-03-02, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just because I have a show on dvd won't mean I won't watch the show on TV. If the Simpsons come on and it's an episode I have on DVD I'm not going to mute the TV, pull out the dvd and put it in my player. I'll just watch the TV episode as always.