Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol - 7/30/02 - Are we psyched yet!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-02, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ready for tonights show?

I am still laughing at :

I fear Ryan will be robbing laundromats in a few years.
Old 07-30-02, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
watching as we speak. i haven't enjoyed a performance yet and justin saying that he was sorry for last week again makes me hope that he falls flat on his face. he is just trying to gain back the votes.
Old 07-30-02, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And the winner is.... Tamyra by a landslide, with Kelly coming a close second.
Old 07-30-02, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

havent started here yet, but looking forward to tamyra.

Justin is not my cup of tea.. Nor is Ms. Starr.
Old 07-30-02, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This show has become very annoying for one reason...Paula Abdul. Her opinion means absolutely nothing. She does not know how to properly judge the performers because her own mediocre career gets in the way "well if I can make it with a mediocre voice...so can they". She has resorted to continually insulting Simon and should have no part of this.

On to Simon...I just have to know when everyone here is going to realize that Simon is always correct in his assesments. He is spot on when it comes to knowing what is good and bad about these singers. Simon was not really being hypocritical about Justin. If you look at Justin's past performances his songs are all relatively the same type of song. Tonight he over-sang just a bit to show that he has more than just a smooth sounding voice. What Simon was saying to Nikki is that she keeps changing herself from week to week.

Now on to the singers...

Tamyra...nothing to say...great song and voice.

Kelly...she is awesome, her voice is very stong, and it has an excellent quality to it. If you pay close attention to her voice it has a quality that when she hits certain notes her vocal chords produce several different transitive harmonics. Especially high notes...when she hits a high note I can hear at least 3 sub-harmonic notes at the same time. If you want to know what I am talking about listen to Aretha Franklin because her voice does the same thing. Also she sings effortlessly and I would say that her voice is more powerful than Tamyra's, however Tamyra has more of the whole package for me. She has definitely taken the #2 spot and she is getting close to going head to head against Tamyra. Also about her song choice...I thought it was excellent because (1) that is a very hard song to sing, so it showed her skill and (2) that song was such that she could really show her range, which she did very well.

Justin...in my opinion he oversang a bit too much and he was pushing his range...resorting to yelling a bit. However his performance was not too bad. He is slowly moving down my list though.

Ryan...I thought she had another bad performance tonight and her looks do nothing for me. She did much better over last week but her performance was dull and she does not have a very good vocal range and she keeps trying to push it.

Nikki...Simon is absolutely correct. She keeps changing herself from week to week because she is a phony IMO...can't decide how to look or what to sing. She just needs to be herself, pick a style of music, and go with that. Her voice is okay but it has no range and she needs to stop pusihing it to try to fit in with the elite of this show...it only hurts her when she does that.

Christina...not too bad a performance but her voice just irratates me...she sounds too much like Joan Baez with the vibrato and it is very distracting. She really needs to work on that and to sing from the diaphram more. Her voice is very sweet, and I like that, but in this competition that wont win.

R.J...he ruined one of my favorite songs...I thought the performance was not so good and he showed the limitations of his voice tonight.

The one thing that sets Kelly and Tamyra apart from the others is that they are true singers who know who they are and know what they are capable of doing. They don't need to pretend to be something their not and it shows...every week.

The rest of them feel they need to fit into some sort of mold...some of the comments from them tonight just made that more obvious. "when I'm performing I like to dress rock...but at home I dress punk...but sometimes I like to dress nice.." just lame lame lame. First of all this is music...something I hold sacred...rock, punk, soul...these are not fassion states...they are something that should be a part of you...not something that you think is trendy. The music and lifestyles should come from their souls not from Fassion Barn.

This is why Tamyra and Kelly are in the top because they were born to sing.

My pick for elimination.. I would like to see Ryan go this week and RJ next week.

Sorry for the rambling...

Last edited by palebluedot; 07-30-02 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-30-02, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

my rank from best to last:

kelly
tamyra
nikki
justin

and i could not stand christina, rj, and ryan... horrible. i cannot stand christina's vibrato.

i vote for ryan to say goodbye tomorrow.
Old 07-30-02, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm with you on the Paula Bashing.. She's beyond annoying.

Simon is dead on as always.

Randy is reasonable but not as critical as he should be.
Old 07-30-02, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree about Paula. I read somewhere recently that asserted "Paula Abdul is what is wrong with America." She is so indicative of that phony "self-esteem" thing sweeping this country. We can't criticize people because the truth hurts, everyone's a winner, this country is about trying, blah, blah, blah.

I loved Simon's subtle middle finger to Ryan Seacrest. We ran that back & laughed!

Justin needs to start using his falsetto again-- that was what blew me away in his early performances. His song choices the last few weeks have been bad. I would have loved to see him do Blondie's "Heart of Glass" or "I'm Easy" from the Nashville soundtrack. That would have been cool!

Tamyra was flawless as usual. Kelly was good, but not as wonderful as last week. I didn't recognize that song, maybe that's what I didn't like.

Christina was much better this week. Great song for her and I like her voice singing like that rather than trying to be all low. She also looked much better. That hair weave last week was scary.

RJ - what a joke. Simon was dead-on with his "boy band" comment. I had to laugh that the photographer had to "talk him into" wearign a tank top. Yeah, right! He ALWAYS wears sleeveless shirts. In fact, every time I see him of I think of that line from "Scary Movie"-- "Does this shirt make me look gay?"

Nikki - Frustrating. There was a moment in that song when her voice sounded pure and I liked it. The rest of the time she was putting on that phony, low ROCK growl which does not work. If she would just sing sans the enhancements, she would fare much better.

Same for Ryan. She was much better this week, but I think she needs to get that frim-fram sauce out quick. That was the last time I remembered really liking her performance. This week, like last, she seemed too sloppy and trying to put a weird spin on her voice. I don't think she has a great range, but when she hits it she sounds good. I like her look, but vocally she needs help.

Althogh I'd like to se RJ booted next, my guess is that either Nikki or Ryan will be the next to go.

Last edited by Jadzia; 07-30-02 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-30-02, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Word Jadzia!

@ "that line from "Scary Movie"-- "Does this shirt make me look gay?"

Top 3 for me :

1. Tamyra
2/3. Christina / Kelly

Christina was a lot better this week and I think probably the best of the week, with Tamyra breathing down her neck heavily (now THAT would be a show). T still has the overall lead in my book for consistent stellar performances and stage presence.

I want a "Simon says "You suck!" " t-shirt!!
Old 07-31-02, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jadzia, agree about Justin needing to pull out his falsetto - Heart of Glass would have been amazing! But honestly I think he's saving it for when he really needs it - when it's down to him, Tamyra and Kelly. If I were him I'd do the same thing - save the big guns for when they'll be most effective. He can pretty much coast until that top three based on his performance ability and teenage girl following.

palebluedot, agree about Kelly's voice - she continues to amaze me with her power and range.

While I love Tamyra, and agree that she has more of the overall star package than Kelly does, I've said before that Kelly has an amazing power to her voice while Tamyra sounds a bit squeaky after - like she's used up her entire voice singing one half of a song.

My opinion on favorites has changed based on the past few performances - I'm now tied between Tamyra and Kelly being my favorites, and Justin is a close third. When he sings like I know he can, he is stunning, but we haven't heard that in a while, so when I got goosebumps from Kelly's performance, that clinched it for me.

As to the rest, I'd like RJ or Nikki to get bumped this week - they are good singers, but nothing special. I'm guessing Nikki or Ryan will go - but Ryan has a much much larger range than either RJ or Nikki, and more talent, imo. This week she suffered from nerves - last week worked her over. Christina was much better this week, but I didn't think she did justice to that fantastic song, and I still don't like her vibratto.

Last edited by WarriorPrincess; 07-31-02 at 12:54 AM.
Old 07-31-02, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last edited by ravan; 07-31-02 at 01:13 AM.
Old 07-31-02, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought that Kelly absolutely rocked tonight..... but Tamyra still did her one better. Simon is right, it will be a travesty if Tamyra does not win this competition (though I will still be voting for Kelly).

Simon was inconsistent in his comments though, he bashed Nikki for sounding too much like a "copy", yet praised Christina for sounding like Sade.

As for tomorrow, the one kicked out will be....... RYAN
Old 07-31-02, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally posted by ravan

HEY! Steal my joke much? I used this comparision (sans picture) in another thread!!
Old 07-31-02, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Two quick comments. Yes, I think Tamyra has the overall American Idol look, style and sound. But come on guys, Kelly just blows her out of the water with her pipes. No comparison. Both have great great voices. But Kelly's is far stronger and has more range. IMO that is. I really hope she wins. And I personally don't think there is any justice if she doesn't.

Also, the more I watch, the more I think Justin and Tamyra could be the same person. Can someone put a screen shot of the two of them next to each other? Just their faces. It's kind of creepy. Have they ever been on the stage at the same time? Heh.
Old 07-31-02, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Daytripper,

Have you been watching from the beginning (that's a serious question, not mocking)? Because IMO Tamyra has shown that she has the pipes to compete with anyone. She's just been a bit toned down the last two weeks.

Anyway, definitely agree on Paula. Shut up.

Since the beginning, it's been like a cycling race. Tamyra had the guts to run out in front of the pack early and just took off. Everyone else hung around when Kelly and Justin decided to make a run for the leader. Justin fell off his bike, and Kelly was left to decide to make a run for the lead without a draft partner or wait for Justin. She just took off. Tamyra's still out in front, and Kelly's racing off to catch her, and everyone else is like, "wait for me!" Justin's back on his bike now and has to decide to make his own run at the leader or fade away.

Tamyra and Kelly were perfect.

Justin was very good, but lacking, and I wasn't impressed by the "apology."

I completely disagree on the Nikki front. She had her one "off" week (which was Motown, so you can't blame her), but I've never felt like she's been changing styles or acting phony. Each week has made perfect sense to me. Now, she's nowhere near as talented as others, but I don't feel cheated from her performances, and I think she succeeded where Ryan failed last week. Again, somehow she's managed not to be the worst of the week.

Ryan: I'm totally off her bandwagon now. Sorry. The look does nothing for me. Her song, which I love, did nothing for me. And she has a "vote for me, or I'll cry" look about her. Just doesn't work for me.

Christina: much better, and seriously reduced the vibrato. Still not in the same league as others, but closer to her range and style. Earned a chance to stick around another week.

I like R.J. and his voice, but I don't think he did justice to a wonderful song.

I'd like to see Ryan take the boot as I don't know what else she has to offer. Put her Frim-Frim performance on a single, and send her away. After that, it's a toss-up between R.J. and Christina, neither of which I want to see go, but I know they have to sooner or later.

das
Old 07-31-02, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hi das, yes, I've been watching from the beginning. And I think Tamyra is a superb singer/performer. But in terms of the strongest voice, Kelly has her beat hands down. RJ (the judge) said it best last night. I believe called her "Brilliant" (x 4).

Justin's "apology" was not only embarrassing, it was calculated and not sincere at all. Not like him? Puh! I thought it failed because he just blurted it out in the middle of Paula's critique. Even she looked surprised.

And last...Nikki claiming she never heard "Heartbreaker" until last week? Yeah right.
Old 07-31-02, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Cool. Just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same performances. I don't agree that Kelly has her beat by the same margin you do; I think they're closer to the same level, just in different ways. I'm not all technical like the dot, but Kelly sounds "fuller" (is that a word?) whereas Tamyra sounds more "dynamic" (I know that's a word, but is it the right one?). Both work for me, just differently.

Nikki not having heard "Heartbreaker" was really strange. These kids today ... living under rocks or something.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 07-31-02 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-31-02, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Daytripper

HEY! Steal my joke much? I used this comparision (sans picture) in another thread!!
Actually I stole it off another board when I was reading AI stuff around the web I did find the pictures myself, so I deserve SOME credit.

On a related note - does anyone happen to have the theme song for Idol on MP3 or something? Not to be found anywhere and I wanted to play around with it.
Old 07-31-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by ravan
On a related note - does anyone happen to have the theme song for Idol on MP3 or something? Not to be found anywhere and I wanted to play around with it.
I would imagine a group of well-intentioned individuals are hunting down and destroying any copies of it, including those who try to reproduce it. Just a warning.

das
Old 07-31-02, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So does anyone know what next week's theme is?

I'm hoping for the 80's.

What songs would you like the contestants to sing?

Justin - Anything by Prince. Use that falsetto!

Tamyra - "Addicted to Love" (Robert Palmer) - This is a confident song and Tamyra could pull off a triumphant, soulful version.

Kelly - "Would I Lie to You?" (Eurythmics) - Since Aretha didn't have many good songs in the 80's, this one would be perfect for her.

Nikki - "Our Lips Are Sealed" (Go-Go's) - I want to hear her do something sweet.

Ryan - "Don't You Want Me" (Human League) - She's getting desperate and these lyrics would suit that.

RJ - "Somebody's Watching Me" (Rockwell) - The perfect one-hit wonder.

Christina - "Do you Really Want to Hurt Me?" (Culture Club) - Not as obvious as Sade, but in the same vein.

This is fun. What songs would you pick for them?
Old 07-31-02, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey

I would imagine a group of well-intentioned individuals are hunting down and destroying any copies of it, including those who try to reproduce it. Just a warning.

das
Heh! I read various places that people hate the theme - but I think its pretty well written (For this purpose anyway). It conveys the right mix of cheesiness and coolness.

At any rate its impossible to find.. Might have to sample it from the tivo or something.
Old 07-31-02, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok what did I miss?

Why did Justin apologize?

I didn't think his deference to the audience last week was an offense worthy of a follow-up apology.

Did something else happen that I missed? (Since I don't watch the half hour of Ford Focus ads that masquerades as the "decision" show.)
Old 07-31-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

All the women should either do 99 Luftballoons (Nena) or Mickey (Toni Basil). This will be a requirement. The men will be required to do Whip It! (Devo) or Safety Dance (Men Without Hats).

Seriously, maybe "Voice's Carry" would be good for one of the ladies.

Some choices to get my vote:

Here's Johnny
Anything by anyone with Hart or Heart in their name
Anything by Men at Work
Call Me Al
Anything by Neil Diamond
Anything by Tota
Anything by A-Ha
Anything by Survivor
Anything by Tone Loc
Anything by Starship
My Sharona
Anything by Foreigner

Sing one of those, and I'll call.

das
Old 07-31-02, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I could also see Nikki or Ryan doing Blondie's "One Way or Another".

Although I bet Kelly could do it and make it her own.
Old 07-31-02, 04:38 PM

Well here are my two favorites:
1.Kelly
2.Tamiry

I cannot stand Justin because he is big headed and thinks hes the best. I watched the English show and the winner of the English show at the moment is far better than anyone on the show. He too as well as Christina sang Ain't no Sunshine but he did a great version. His voice is unique.
I have to agree with you about Paula Abdul alls she can say is ''your a star'' ''your great'' even when they aren't very good.
As for simon i believe he is the best judge on their because he says what he thinks and he doesn't care what anyone else thinks

I'm hoping for Kelly to win but it would be great if they could fly over from the UK the english winner so that the two winners could do a duet