Reload this Page >

McCain Set to Host 10/12/02 'SNL'

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-26-02, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Admittedly, I'm a pretty big McCain supporter politically, mainly because I like candidates with personality, someone that's not just a party yes-man sent to the front line because he's the least likely to lose. I'd rather someone have an opinion different than mine and stick to it than ride the fence and try to play both sides.

Anyway, I'm obviously pleased to see McCain hosting because of my political thoughts, but independent of that, I'm really glad to see both SNL and John McCain taking risks like this. It could be a dismal failure, or it could be really funny. Either way, I like that they're trying it. I wish more public figures would be willing to host as it's somewhat tiresome to see the same performers plugging their latest comedy.

Political satire has always been on of SNL's strongest aspects, and sometimes you need to get a bona fide politician on the show to kick it up a notch.

das

<HR>

Here's the article:

'Saturday Night Live' Beating the Bush
Fri Jul 26, 2:47 AM ET
By Josef Adalian

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - "Saturday Night Live ( news - Y! TV)" is harking back to its rebel roots, booking Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) as a guest host next season.

The former presidential candidate, prisoner of war and continued thorn in the side of President Bush ( news - web sites) will appear on "SNL" Oct. 12, the second episode of the show's 28th season. Faith Hill is the scheduled musical guest.

While numerous politicos have dropped by "SNL" over the years, the few who've hosted the show have tended to be populist figures like McCain.

Former Gotham Mayor Rudolph Giuliani ( news - web sites) hosted the laffer in 1997, following in the footsteps of GOP presidential candidate Steve Forbes ( news - web sites) (1996), Ed Koch (1983), Ralph Nader ( news - web sites) (1977) and Gerald Ford press secretary Ron Nessen (1976).

McCain told Daily Variety he "immediately said yes" when "SNL" executive producer Lorne Michaels asked him to host and that he was honored to be called upon.

"I'm a little nervous," McCain said. "Some say there's a fine line between political theater and theater. But it's going to be fun."

McCain said at least one of his family members is very happy about the booking. "It'll be the first time my 17-year-old daughter has been impressed with anything I've done since she's become a teenager," he said.

McCain will fly to New York the week before the show for rehearsals. He's not sure what to expect yet in terms of sketches, but noted "SNL" and Michaels traditionally aren't "too worried about crossing boundaries."

It's a good bet "SNL" will fully exploit McCain's still-sticky relationship with President Bush. Indeed, McCain will be one of the first "SNL" hosts to interact with the show's new George W. Bush -- whoever that may be.

Michaels hasn't decided yet who will replace Will Ferrell as the show's Dubya. Also being finalized: A host for "SNL's" Oct. 5 season premiere.
Old 07-26-02, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't wait. I am one Democrat who would have voted for McCain (and I did vote for him in the Michigan primary.)

I really wish he was president right now.
Old 07-28-02, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jon McCain? Hosting SNL? Michaels must really be getting desperate.
Old 07-28-02, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Probably won't be any worse than when Steve Forbes hosted. He did a decent job.
Old 07-29-02, 12:13 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
Probably won't be any worse than when Steve Forbes hosted. He did a decent job.
That's actually one of my favorite SNLs. I watched expecting a trainwreck and he was way better than half the star-of-the-moment celebs they generally force upon us. "Teve Torbes."
Old 07-29-02, 12:57 PM

I wonder if they'll do a tiger-cage sketch.