Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

I just won a Sony Tivo!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-02, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just won a Sony Tivo!

Holy crap! I just attended a Novell seminar, and at the end they held a drawing for a Sony Tivo and I won!

I haven't received any details yet (as far as model, etc). But what should I do? Sell it, or keep it and purchase the subscription? For those of you have have one, how happy are you with your Tivo? Worth keeping for someone like me who only has slightly better than basic cable (no premium channels or movie channels)?
Old 07-24-02, 01:26 PM

Keep it. It's the best toy I have ever bought (and I have a lot of toys).
Old 07-24-02, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perpare for your life to change. First it was the wheel, then TiVo. Who knows what mankind is capable of now.

das
Old 07-24-02, 01:33 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Morf,

Absolutely keep it. TiVO is the greatest thing in the whole world. I absolutely love mine and I, like you, only have super-basic, essentially just locals and few others. But TiVO makes it such that there is always something on for me when I turn on the TV. My wife even likes it too!!!!

Yes, TiVO is worth it. Check out www.tivocommunity.com for more information. And the cool thing, if you are so inclined, is that "hacking" the TiVO to install a higher capacity drive is a relatively easy process. TiVO doesn't outwardly support this, but they don't prevent you from doing (it does void your warranty, though).

TiVO for me is really life changing. It gives us the power to watch what we want when we want and makes it so I don't have to worry about things like "getting the kid to sleep quickly so we don't miss CSI".

However, if you are considering the possibility of getting satellite TV, you may want to sell the Sony (I assume you won a "standalone" Sony). The combo DirecTV/TiVO boxes have dual tuners in them which allow for the recording of two shows at the same time. Also, DirecTiVOs also record at Satellite quality.

Anyways, the bottom line question really should be this:

Should you join the TiVOlution? Absolutely!!!

You can always keep the Sony and get lifetime subscription on it for now. Then, if you want to go DirecTiVO down the road, you can easily sell the Sony for quite a penny as the subscription value does not go away...Lifetime subscription is for lifetime of the box and transfers to the new owner if you sell the machine.....thus, you will get back you money if you do sell it....

Gosh, I could go on and on and on about how awesome TiVO is.....

Again, do this....check out www.tivocommunity.com and try and find a friend who has one, hold the peanut, and sit back and say "Holy Friggin' Crap, TiVO is awesome"......
Old 07-24-02, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In my opinion it wouldn't be worth the $10 or $12 per month that they charge, I'd sell it.
Old 07-24-02, 01:47 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Congrats! Enjoy...
Old 07-24-02, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

grunter seethes with jealousy.
Old 07-24-02, 02:36 PM

Congrats on your win! I won one too back a few years ago when TIVO's website was new. You had to write an essay and if you won, you just had to pay shipping for the unit. My essay was one of MANY that won. I had read so many people winning them, it was like a TIVO giveaway fest! Life has changed since I got my Phillips 30-hr almost 2 years ago now.. so much to watch, so little time. Keep it and join the tivolution!
Old 07-24-02, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Great, I think I'm going to keep it and try it out for a few months. After visiting a few TiVo sites, I'm thoroughly excited. I should have it a week from today!
Old 07-24-02, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

make sure you have a local number to dial in to. i didn't and they took away the 800 number... i feel the pain though w/o having my tivo anymore... it is addictive! my dish pvr is nice, but can only do about 5% of what tivo does.
Old 07-24-02, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Best. Invention. Ever.
Old 07-24-02, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by juiio
Best. Invention. Ever.
You can't dismiss indoor plumbing though. Imagine if we all had to use outhouse's. At least you could pause your TV show and when the time comes take care of business and then resume your show. LOL
Old 07-24-02, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Great story The biggest thing I've ever won was a t-shirt.....It didn't even fit

I don't have one but have heard great things.....I'd keep it
Old 07-24-02, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Congrats!! I also won one during their "Why I can't live without TiVo" contest...(although I didn't have to pay the shipping).

Too cool...enjoy!
Old 07-27-02, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Tivo is the best thing ever.

EVER.