Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol 7-23

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-02, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
American Idol 7-23

Why is this show still on...just give it to Tamyra damnit.

The same top three I gave last week.

The best:

Tamyra - Just awesome...great song and sung it perfectly. She doesn't over sing and hits every note.

Kelly - Damn! One of my favorite songs and she did it much justice...great note although she started it a bit flat she definitely has the range and with more training she can have a very powerful voice. She edged out Justin on this performance.

Justin - Sunny is a great song and he did a great job. He really knows how to work the crowd and the camera. That move he did with following the camera and the spin move to get back to the crowd...perfect.

The rest:

R.J. - He didn't do too bad this time out...good song choice and he sang it very well but nothing to scream about.

Christina - I don't know why but I just don't think she has the voice (not that is what pop music idols are based on) but she does have a problem with that vibrato (she sounds like a motor boat).

Nikki - Just terrible...if she makes it through this round she needs to do something drastic to come around.

A.J - Not very good at all. He has a decent voice but it is weak and just doesn't do a thing for me.

Ryan - Holy crap was this performance just horible...it was unbearable to listen to.

My choice for the big vote off - Ryan
Old 07-23-02, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

my ranks:

top 3 in order of best to very good
-----------
Kelly
Tamyra
Nikki

the rest in order of ok to horrid
-------------------------------------------
R.J.
Justin
Christina
Ryan
A.J.

for me it was basically a tie between ryan and aj for the most horrid performances... and i still do not see what people see in this justin kid. i think he was even more average tonight. the audience was just screaming teenie boppers.
Old 07-23-02, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kelly was the best tonight, IMO. She is hot, hot, hot!

Christina - I always thought she sung like a 7 year old girl, hopefully after what people saw tonight, they will start agreeing with me.

Justin - Get him off. He better bring himself off the high horse or he is going to be my least favorite.

Ryan - She chose a song that she shouldn't have, but she is much better than RJ, AJ, Christina and Nikki. But RJ, AJ, and Nikki keep sucking and sucking every week.
Old 07-23-02, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And the race for second place continues ...

As per usual, ATL in the house.

Now on to this week's episode of Tamyra and Friends

My God, she's good ... no point dwelling on that.

R.J. - He's really growing on me. He chose a great song for his voice. He doesn't have the talent of some others, but at least he's maxing his potential.

A.J. Dude, what the hell were you wearing? Come on, America ... send this joker home.

Justin - You're slipping, buddy. Still did a great job, but someone just took your #2 spot ...

Kelly - Speaking of that someone ... damn. She's getting better each week and is starting to leave the rest of the 2nd place contenders behind.

Nikki - Sorry, palebluedot. I liked it. No, not a top 3, but not a bottom 2. She has an infectous quality about her, and I want to see just one more week.

Christina - Simon disappointed me with his comments. She was clearly average. Even Randy and Paula, who would praise a sick goat's lyrical talents, could hear it. She's a definite hottie, but she's not in the same league as Tamyra and Kelly.

Ryan - What the **** was that? Seriously ... what the **** were you thinking? It should be against the rules to smoke crack before competing. Dreadful doesn't even begin to cover it, Simon. I'm really torn. She was so wonderful during that first performance, one of the top 3 or 4 in the whole competition, and now this? She was the worst of the week. Should people vote by this week alone or by the overall?

Now to a rant ... what's with the way votes are cast? It's really stupid. You're essentially eliminating people based on who has the most personal friends. No one in his right mind would vote for some of these idiots as his favorite performer. 99% of the people who aren't deaf and/or mentally disturbed will be voting for someone outside of the two who will be bounced. Those two are therefore selected from an incredibly small pool of votes, likely almost entirely made up of friends and family calling multiple times. Just doesn't make sense to me.

das
Old 07-23-02, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
Now to a rant ... what's with the way votes are cast? It's really stupid. You're essentially eliminating people based on who has the most personal friends. No one in his right mind would vote for some of these idiots as his favorite performer. 99% of the people who aren't deaf and/or mentally disturbed will be voting for someone outside of the two who will be bounced. Those two are therefore selected from an incredibly small pool of votes, likely almost entirely made up of friends and family calling multiple times. Just doesn't make sense to me.

das
I agree..I don't care for the voting method...it should be decided by...well...Simon. The guy knows what he's talking about. Paula's comments are absolutely worthless. Randy seems to know what he is talking about given the people he has worked with but he sometimes overlooks things.

The winner may not necessarily be the best...if the auidence is mostly teenage girls...Justin is going to win...so the other 1% of us will be voting for Tamyra.
Old 07-23-02, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
If there is any justice, Ryan should be the one booted off tomorrow. That was simply horrible!

It's always been a two horse race (Tamyra & Justin), with Christina a close third, but Kelly has been getting better and better every week. Hopefully she'll be there til the end.
Old 07-23-02, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i actually tried a few times to vote today (i never tried before), and kept getting busy signals so i just gave up.

i agree... simon knows what he is talking about, paula and randy are too nice. paula looked like she was scared when she told ryan what she did wrong, then had to make some stupid positive comment. should have asked ryan why she changed her name since it was tiffany in the first episode. i am waiting for one of those contestants to bust out some straight up or cold hearted snake lol...
Old 07-23-02, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sinned

It's always been a two horse race (Tamyra & Justin), with Christina a close third, but Kelly has been getting better and better every week. Hopefully she'll be there til the end.
huh? i think christina sounds like a goat. she has a horrible wobble in her voice when she sings. she needs to work on that. i think kelly has always beaten christina... and i actually liked her better than tamyra tonight. tonight justin's head got too big... arrogant fool.. hope that makes more people dislike him.
Old 07-23-02, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like Randy because when they kick ass, he says so; when they suck, he says it wasn't their best; and when they're just average, he says "good job."

Still, the anti-Simon aspects of the show got very annoying, and I'm glad most of it was gone from tonight's show. Yeah, it's cool to make fun of him a bit, but the same "put-downs" over and over and over get really lame and remind me of that popular kid who stumbles into something funny once and then keeps saying it for attention, and all the stupid people that want to be like her keep laughing.

das
Old 07-23-02, 11:28 PM
Zee

It's nice to see that I'm not the only viewer who is not impressed (at all) with Christina. Her voice doesn't have the strength or the tone to carry her through this competition. Props to Randy for mentioning her biggest flaw, vocally: her speedy vibrato. Like das said, her voice is clearly average- it's her pop-star look that's brought her this far.

As for everybody else-

Nobody's impressed me as much as Kelly. Even though it took her a little while to settle into that money note, she sounded fantastic tonight. Actually, her performances have been consistently fantastic. Plus, she's got a unique look and sound... she just seems like a happy, normal girl. She gets my vote every week.

I like Tamyra and Justin because they are serious -performers-. They both understand communicating with their audience through personality and movement. Having said this, I guess I'm not all that impressed with Justin's singing ability either. I'm willing to vote him into the next rounds, though, because he at least try to sell his song, unlike A.J., and to a lesser extent, Nikki. There's no question that Tamyra can sing, but for some reason I'm continually more impressed with Kelly.

I also find myself like R.J. more and more with every performance. He's not as spunky as say, Justin, and he doesn't have the power that Tamyra and Kelly have, but it seems like he truly loves to sing. Randy mentioned my favorite quality of his: he doesn't overdo anything. I think he was a great choice as the wildcard.

Everybody else... eh. A.J. is kinda boring. I might like Nikki, but last week just sort of ruined things for me. I'm not even sure if Ryan actually sang tonight.

Wow. Now I sound like Simon! I think he's starting to grow on me. Maybe he's not all that bad.
Old 07-23-02, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by das Monkey
And the race for second place continues ...
A.J. Dude, what the hell were you wearing? Come on, America ... send this joker home.
I agree completely. Send this guy home already!

Nikki's performance was decent, but nothing worth writing home about. Her little gimmick will prove redundant, because her singing is merely decent.

RJ was good/average, but like Simon said he's not "American Idol worthy".

Tamyra is numero uno as usual. If she doesn't win it, I'll be disappointed. She's been very consistent.

Justin's singing was good, but he's a much better vocalist than he showed tonight. He's the best performer of the group, he grabs the viewers attention more than the rest of the contestants. He needs to choose a better song to showcase his ability though. If he does, Tamyra and Kelly will have some serious competition next week.

Kelly was simply outstanding. She really surprised me and is gradually improving throughout this competition. She gave Tamyra a run for her money tonight.

Ryan: A train wreck. She's just getting worse by the day. Horrible song to perform too.

Christina was average. Definitely not as bad as Ryan or AJ, but not a hell of a lot better either. Simon completely sold out when he said that she was good (or however he put it). Come on man, we know the only reason you praised her was because you wanna get in her pants. Jeez.
Old 07-24-02, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Christina is pretty good but the vibrato thing just annoys me to no end. I noticed it a long time ago. I'm surprised it took this long for anyone (judges included) to finally take notice of it.

AJ -- RJ. Get rid of the J's. Really weak.

Tamyra is my pick. Justin has a very good voice but it is his performance that grabs the audience. Kelly can do Aretha pretty well especially for a white girl. Nikki has good attitude with a nice voice. Ryan (strange female name BTW) is hot and can sing but made a mistake with trying to sing that song.
Old 07-24-02, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ryan starr isn't her real name. if you watch the first episode her name is tiffany i believe. maybe she didn't want to end up doing another remake of i think we're alone now?
Old 07-24-02, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Once again I agree with most of you. Tamyra has it all - talent and performance ability. Justin keeps picking the wrong songs - they just do not show that unique quality of his voice that I personally find so moving and compelling - but can that boy ever perform. There's still a tie in my mind between the two, but that's because when I rank them I think of what Justin did in week two I think it was - made me cry along with pretty much every girl in that audience (including paula).

Kelly really has improved each week - this week was phenomenal. Very impressive and almost a three-way tie. She's just so goofy and girl-next-door-ish that on one hand I think it would be great for her to be the embodiment of an american idol, but on the other hand that special sparkle that Tamyra and Justin both have make them seem far more "idol-ish" imo. But Justin did seem arrogant this week - I liked his sweet personality more. Now it seems it was an act, which is pretty cr@ppy, imo.

As for the rest of the girls - I've been consistently disappointed with both Nikki and Christina these past few rounds - they seem to keep getting worse. Nikki's voice was...flat I guess is the best way to describe it this week (though great choice of songs and outfit), and Christina's is annoying - I guess it's that vibratto thing you guys have mentioned. Ryan has a neat personality like Kelly - goofy - but she is more sexy than pretty. I didn't hate this performance but it was a very bad choice of songs.

The other guys are pretty bad, imo. Well, actually I agree that RJ is "good" - but in that ordinary, hear the same quality at church kind of way. AJ has a voice I've disliked since the first moment he opened his mouth.
Old 07-24-02, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Who should win? Tamyra or Kelly, hands down.

Who will win? We have to realize that we live in a world (well, at least country) where teenage girls completely control the music industry. Teenage girls are more likely to actually call in and vote (I'd say they cast at least 80% of the vote). Thus, Justin will win. Its pretty obvious.

On a completely different note, why do we have this contest? So we can populate the group of pop singers a little bit more? Have the same exact show format, but for actual bands that play their own songs. Sorta like battle of the bands. They need to expose more rock groups, not more teeny bopper pop stars. And no, not the rock that is out now (rap-metal).

Geezus, i sound like an old bitter man.
Old 07-24-02, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was in shock at Ryan's performance. Can you say total meltdown? I had been rooting for her as a dark horse candidate but man, that was awful. And the way she acted like a psycho afterwards was pretty scary.

I have said all along that this is Justin's to lose. He'll need to screw up pretty bad to lose it. But, even as a huge fan of his, I finally noticed some chinks in the armor last night. He wasn't as good and he acted a wee-bit cocky. I have loved his confidence in the past (he was the only performer that would stand up to Simon), but last night he seemed a little too cock-sure. He neds to go back to acting sweet. And where is he hiding his amazing Jeff Buckley falsetto? That's what got me first to love him, but his song choices haven't been showing it off recently.

Nikki was also pretty bad. I want to like her, and last night was certainly better than last week, but I still thought she was trying to hard to sing "gruffly" and it seemed rather fake. Christina is very pretty, but I like her better when she is singing sweetly. Her last two performances, she sounds like she is singing too low for her and it sounds weird.

Please, please, please get rid of AJ. His little weak feather voice drives me insane. He needs to sing lower, or get a personality. RJ is just girly acting to be an American Idol.

Tamyra was great as usual, but I liked her better last week. This week she really didn't show off her range as much.

Kelly gets better & better although I still am not sure she "looks" like an American Idol. At least she was wearing makeup. She looks stripped-down a lot on that show.
Old 07-24-02, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
O.K. here are my two Lincolns. I thought Kelly was the best this week AND last. This girl is without a doubt the best singer in the bunch. And I prey she wins. She's also very cute and geniune. I think the black girl with the long wig/weave (from last night) is definitely model material. But she's not a singer. I think her looks definitely carried her this far. As far as Sideshow Bob is concerned (Justin), he stinks. He's got stage presence but that's it. Everything he has sung has been flat. No range whatsoever. Plus, he's not nearly as adorable as he thinks he is.