Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Oscars, Emmys, Grammys...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-02, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,272 Likes on 730 Posts
Oscars, Emmys, Grammys...

I have worked in the Entertainment industry, and I cannot understand why people enjoy watching these shows. It is a bunch of incredibly rich folks patting themselves on the back and saying how great they are. Am I the only one who feels this way?
Old 07-18-02, 09:24 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
mebbe cos we all want to be beautiful rich folks.
Old 07-18-02, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least you have the power to turn it off. Imagine being one of the nominees who knows he or she is going to lose and has to sit there all night anyway. Or worse, the significant other of one of the losers who has to sit there all night, watch them lose, then ride home with them all pissed off or depressed.
Old 07-18-02, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
because masturbation is sometimes interesting ... look at pr0n industry
Old 07-18-02, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Oscars, Emmys, Grammys...

Originally posted by General Zod
I have worked in the Entertainment industry, and I cannot understand why people enjoy watching these shows. It is a bunch of incredibly rich folks patting themselves on the back and saying how great they are. Am I the only one who feels this way?
I don't watch and never will. If the awards are not fixed they are boring.
Old 07-18-02, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Re: Oscars, Emmys, Grammys...

Originally posted by General Zod
same here.. i also work in the industry and i refuse to watch unless i'm actually nominated

i think award shows are so politically (within the entertainment industry) motivated that it's just a crock when certain shows/movies/actors/artists win who have no business winning at all, much less being nominated.
Old 07-18-02, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,272 Likes on 730 Posts
I just find it hard to believe anyone is glued to the set when they announce the "Best director in an animated series about fish" or something. The whole thing just seems like a waste of time to me.

When someone does win they get up and thank a bunch of people nobody has ever heard of, make some stupid political statement and then leave.
Old 07-18-02, 09:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I think it would be more interesting if they spent more time on the red carpet showing what all the ladies are wearing.
Old 07-18-02, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even though I hate to admit it, I actually like the MTV movie awards. Every once in awhile they'll have something funny, like "best inanimate object" or "best on-screen pause". hehehehe. They also have Chris Rock ripping on everybody, like when he offered that Backstreet boy some champagne even though he just got out of rehab. that was funny, IMO. at least, I think that was chris rock.
Old 07-18-02, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
All awards shows have become the higher ups patting themselves on the back as of late. Grammys and Emmys don't like breaking from traditional noms., and the oscars are now turning almost completely towards honoring the Hollywood Studio (been this way since English Patient and othe art house flicks dominated in 1997, even though it was the '96 awards)

I might stop watching this year, but I say that every year.
Old 07-18-02, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like watching rich people pat themselves and their friends on the back.

As long as they dont pull a Halle or a Gwyneth I have fun.

I only watch the Academy Awards though - and the MTV movie awards when I get the chance. SMG and Jack Black were awesome.
Old 07-18-02, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Because every once in a while, someone who really deserves it gets some recognition. 95% of it is trash, but that 5% is sometimes worth it.

das
Old 07-19-02, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
Because every once in a while, someone who really deserves it gets some recognition. 95% of it is trash, but that 5% is sometimes worth it.

das
Amen... if it weren't for Six Feet Under, I wouldn't watch the Emmys this year, but I'll definitely be watching, chearing it on for every award, especially writing

But really, there's some reason like that that I watch Emmys, Grammys, Oscars, Golden Globes, and usually MTV awards (sometime on a rerun ) every year. Of course most of it is pretentious, self-congradulatory crap, but sometimes there's some stuff worth rooting for, like Six Feet Under, oh yeah, and Band of Brothers, this year.

Ah hell, I really just watch to see what the lovely ladies are wearing
Old 07-19-02, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
people love hollywood, the look, the people etc.

I work in the industry aswell, I will never get any award, I don't think 98% of the real workers in the field. the people who put this stuff together will get the credit they deserve. but hey, it's for the love of the industry.

these shows are just big PR's to promote the actors, directors, writers.

I agree though, Imagen having to sit there and watch the show in person through all the taping knowning your going to lose.
Old 07-19-02, 08:00 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watch these shows because every now and then, someone is still in the bathroom when they are announced as a winner and they have toilet paper stuck to their shoe.

And every now and then a famous person's .....ahem....headlight will slip out.....

And every now and then you get the reactions from winners like Cuba Gooding and Ben and Matt and (what's his name) from Life is Beautiful....All precious moments....