E.R. Season Premiere -- WTH???

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-02, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read this from Zentertainment...they got it from AICN. If true, this bites the big one.

Spoiler:
How do you top losing the lead character of your top-rated drama to inoperable brain cancer?

Reliable sources indicate that in the first episode of "ER’s" ninth season, a major character will undergo a trauma so shocking it can only be shared with readers via the miracle that is inviso-text: During a hectic and harrowing emergency rooftop evacuation of several critical patients, one of County's staffers will walk into a helicopter’s tail rotor and instantly sever his or her arm above the elbow, bathing the scene with that character’s blood! (We’re not talking Malik or that paramedic girl we seem to see every week either; this is a character we've seen in the title credits.) Not only does the remaining cast have to deal with one more major medical emergency, they lose access to desperately needed helicopter transport: the pilot fears his tail rotor has been damaged! He's afraid to even move the aircraft off the helipad, preventing replacement choppers from landing!

The horror emerges as 9.1 picks up where 8.22 ended: with Country General crippled and quarantined due to the outbreak of a mysterious mutated monkey virus. The staff is desperate trying to get dying patients away from the “hot zone” the hospital has become.

The only character we’ll reveal is not subject to grave physcial harm is Elizabeth Corday, who we’ll learn has already moved to London with daughter Ella – and is quickly reminded of why she left in the first place. She learns that her fellow brits remain less accepting of women as surgeons, and colleages mock her mercilessly for all the horrible American verbal habits she’s picked up.

E! Online's Wanda had the details of who it is:

From evaersmama: Anything yet on Must-See shows? Like ER? I'm dying here.
NBC's turn isn't until next Tuesday (oh, the humanity!), so it's going to be a little wait for tidbits on Scrubs, Friends and The West Wing. But I do have something rather chilling on ER: In the season premiere, "Chaos Theory," Romano gets into a hideous workplace accident, and his arm is severed. They work to reattach it, but it's possible he won't regain enough function to work as a surgeon. Meanwhile, Elizabeth has been in England but decides to return to Chicago.

From noahsgirl: Who cares about stupid Romano? What about Carter and Abby?
You know, it's a sad world when people care more about a cliffhanger kiss than a nearly fatal lost limb. Thankfully, I'm equally pathetic! A.&C. are going full steam ahead in the first ep! Happy-happy, joy-joy!
Old 07-16-02, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, so I couldn't resist and I read the spoiler. Now I don't understand your comments "WTH" and "this bites the big one". What exactly is wrong with this?

Also,
Spoiler:
Romano isn't on the main credits, is he?
Old 07-16-02, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
Romano is in the opening credits.
Old 07-16-02, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm... I didn't think that actor was. That's either a fairly new addition or I've been skipping that part far too often with my ReplayTV.
Old 07-16-02, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by bboisvert Hmmm... I didn't think that actor was. That's either a fairly new addition or I've been skipping that part far too often with my ReplayTV.

My "WTH" refers to the whole
Spoiler:
"incident"

And I think it bites because
Spoiler:
he's one of my favorites on the show. if he's no longer able to practice, that says what? [not that he's on it all that much now...but what little there is I find thoughly enjoyable -- can't say that about too many characters that are left on this show]
Old 07-16-02, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bboisvert
Hmmm... I didn't think that actor was. That's either a fairly new addition or I've been skipping that part far too often with my ReplayTV.
that actor has been on the show since 1997 , i am 99.9% positive i can picture him in the opening theme run
Old 07-16-02, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

thank god it's not
Spoiler:
Abby
Old 07-17-02, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Spoiler:
Romano is shown walking through hospital doors in the opening montage.
Old 09-10-02, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Damn.

After seeing the promo for the season premiere, I looks like it's true. [my first post]
Old 09-10-02, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is just stupid.
Old 09-10-02, 10:38 AM
Admin Emeritus

Re: E.R. Season Premiere -- WTH???

Originally posted by Rogue588

From noahsgirl:
Spoiler:
Who cares about stupid Romano? What about Carter and Abby?
You know, it's a sad world when people care more about a cliffhanger kiss than a nearly fatal lost limb. Thankfully, I'm equally pathetic! A.&C. are going full steam ahead in the first ep! Happy-happy, joy-joy!
Spoiler:
I care about Romano, you stupid twit. Even though he can be (to put it mildly) abrasive, he's one of the best characters on the show because his character just seems so comfortable in his own skin.
Old 09-10-02, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: Re: E.R. Season Premiere -- WTH???

Originally posted by Static Cling
Spoiler:
I care about Romano, you stupid twit. Even though he can be (to put it mildly) abrasive, he's one of the best characters on the show because his character just seems so comfortable in his own skin.
Exactly! I don't know what cliffhanger she was talking about. Those characters she's wondering about put me to sleep.

ZZZzzz.
Old 09-10-02, 12:40 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
If true, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. It could add an interesting twist.
Spoiler:
Romano is my favorite character on the show - you just love to hate him, except when you hate to love him, if you know what I mean.
Old 09-10-02, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
damn...time to set the VCR.
Old 09-10-02, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Bandoman
If true, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. It could add an interesting twist.
Spoiler:
Romano is my favorite character on the show - you just love to hate him, except when you hate to love him, if you know what I mean.
Spoiler:
The thing is they made him almost human towards the end of last season. It was nice to see him sympathetic to Dr. Greens situation. Now to do this to the character...
Old 09-10-02, 02:24 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Spoiler:
I could see this working. If Romano loses the use of his arm, then it could really humble him, or make him more bitter towards County. If the reattachment surgery is a success, I can see him moving up into the administration roles at County General, and giving some help to the ER. Plus, I imagine the road to recovery will be a long one, and we could really start to see the life outside the office for Romano.

As far as Corday is concerned, EW said in recent article that she will be around all season, we don't know why or how, but they said she would.

The also metioned a 4-episode arch that talks about Don Chealde being a financier-turned-surgical resident, and the addition of Pfiefer as a full timer and Bibbs (the chick from Popular), as a new addition too, but no mention of Thomas Everett Scott... as was reported earlier.
Old 09-10-02, 04:55 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by Goldberg74
Spoiler:
I could see this working. If Romano loses the use of his arm, then it could really humble him, or make him more bitter towards County. If the reattachment surgery is a success, I can see him moving up into the administration roles at County General, and giving some help to the ER. Plus, I imagine the road to recovery will be a long one, and we could really start to see the life outside the office for Romano.
Spoiler:
Oooooh. Good point. We don't really see much of Romano out of the ER like we do with the other characters. The one downside to this would be that we watched that otherbald doctor fumble around with his impairment for the better part of last season, if not the last two seasons... I don't know how ready I am to see the "same stuff on a different day" again.
Old 09-10-02, 05:06 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Hilite and read this first:

Spoiler:
I just had another thought...

What if Romano bumped into a canister of contaminated waste in the ER, started to mutate, wandered out into the entryway by the road and got hit by ambulance... wouldn't that be funny...

Oh, wait, where have I seen that before...

Spoiler:
... oh yeah, that happened to him in Robocop!
Old 09-10-02, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Goldberg74
Hilite and read this first:

Spoiler:
I just had another thought...

What if Romano bumped into a canister of contaminated waste in the ER, started to mutate, wandered out into the entryway by the road and got hit by ambulance... wouldn't that be funny...

Oh, wait, where have I seen that before...

Spoiler:
... oh yeah, that happened to him in Robocop!

I forgot about that. Good stuff...

(Although a joke is often funnier if you don't explain it)
Old 09-11-02, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tom Everett Scott is joining the cast? That'd be great news for me. I love Guy Patterson. "I am Spartacus!"
Old 09-12-02, 10:53 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Adds to my belief that this will be the show's final season.
Old 09-13-02, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IMDB already has Tom Everett Scott listed as playing Eric Wyczinski this year.
Old 09-13-02, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't watched this show for years, but is this really true:
Spoiler:
outbreak of a mysterious mutated monkey virus
?

That's just hilarious.
Old 09-26-02, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thats Paul Freeman, the guy who played belloq in Raiders of the Lost Ark!
Old 09-27-02, 07:01 AM

Spoiler:
He could always grow a new arm by ingesting cancerous tumors from patients in the hospital. That's how his head grew back!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.