Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Most Annoying Thing About 'The Dead Zone'

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-02, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Most Annoying Thing About 'The Dead Zone'

Ok, so the guy is in a coma for 6 years. 6 years is not a long time, we're talking 1996, 1995 tops. But, every single episode it seems like there is something 'new' that he's not aware of since it supposedly came out while he was in the coma. The worst part is, all of these things were around and well within the cultural knowledge of most people well before 1995.

In one episode, he didn't know what Caller ID was. That came out in '92-93, if not earlier.

Another episode he was unaware of specialty coffee like lattes, mochas, etc. The US was inundated by coffee kiosks in the late 80's.

In the last one I saw he'd never heard of the term 'virtual reality' before. Again, early 90's.

Truthfully, there hasn't been a lot of cultural or technological change since '95. Either the character or the writers are idiots.
Old 07-11-02, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, but the guy is in Maine after all.

It takes longer for some of these things to get to small-town America.
Old 07-11-02, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Two words: Ezri Dax.

[Just kidding... Nice to see Nicole getting some work again, actually...]
Old 07-11-02, 10:24 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I have the same complaint. The writers are pretty lazy when it comes to the "what's that?" references.

The last two episodes have been pretty lame. If he doesn't go back to solving crimes, I "predict" I'm going to stop watching the show.
Old 07-11-02, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by adamblast
Two words: Ezri Dax.

[Just kidding... Nice to see Nicole getting some work again, actually...]
If Nicole weren't a raging bitch, I'd be happier for her. Still, she's a cutie and worth watching on any series.

Actually, the most annoying thing about The Dead Zone is that it stars Malcolm McDowell circa 1975. Talk about separated at birth.

das
Old 07-11-02, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love Ezri Dax, too, but damn she really got on my nerves in that last episode.

Could she have called him MORE times on that freaking cell phone? She called him at least 5-6 times. I think she just got him that phone so she could bug him all the time and keep tabs on him.

I don't even call my husband that much.
Old 07-11-02, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey

If Nicole weren't a raging bitch, I'd be happier for her.
She is? Have you met her?

To me the most annoying thing is Anthony Michael Hall. He just bothers me.
Old 07-12-02, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Thrush
She is? Have you met her?
Yeah, but keep in mind every time I've met her has been within the scope of Star Trek fandom (convention, grand opening, awards ceremony, whatever), so she may be a nice person when removed from that environment. However, she's most certainly horrible to the fans and not easy on the promoters either.

Here's but one example directly involving me. I'm at Star Trek: The Experience in Las Vegas celebrating the 35th Anniversary of Trek with a relatively small group of fans and stars. No one is obligated to be there or do anything, so it's a great opportunity to see how the stars really are. Guys like Armin Shimmerman and Max Grodenchek put on an impromptu Shakespeare performance because they feel like it. Guys like Shatner don't show up. It's that type of atmosphere.

Aaaaaaaanyway, Nicole (to everyone's amazement as she has a reputation) actually shows up ... a few hours late. I'm in line for the ride when she shows up and can see her from a distance (the line curls above the main event floor). This is a small event, so by "line" ... well the ride seats like 15-20 people at a time, and there are 25 people in "line". The wait is nominal. As she walks in, another group gets on the ride, and I'm next in line ... been waiting a total of like 5 minutes. I'm with some fairly established Hollywood stars like Mark Goddard and Lee Meriwether who are obviously not too good to ride with other people, and out of the corner of my eye I see Nicole. She's stomping her foot and waving her hand at one of the people working the ride. Her boyfriend is with her, and I can see he's uncomfortable with the whole thing. As it's time for us to get on, they quickly rope us off, so Nicole and her boyfriend can get a private ride. The ride would have barely been half full had they just ridden with us, but we waited for them, and strangely it took much longer than the ride usually takes. I didn't see her come out as I was getting on the ride myself, but apparently she stormed out with her boyfriend dragging behind and walked straight out the door without acknowledging the fans or coworkers standing around. That's the last we saw of her. Talking with Garrett Wang, I heard that the rest of the night she was just out clubbing, so it's not like she was in a hurry to get home or get to a meeting or something. She was just too famous to wait in line.

I could relay other stories that are worse, but I witnessed that one first hand. She's still hot though, so all is forgiven.

das
Old 07-12-02, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I wanted to see more of young Abbey! Having the old man on the park bench be the hit-n-run lover was stretching plausibility to Stretch Armstrong proportions.

Curse you people for making me add this to my "tape queue" on my VCRs. Every now and then I see AMH wanting to go with one of his famous teen mannerisms, but he pulls back just in time before he ruins the take.

So how long before Nicole breaks up with the cop husband? Talk about obsessive! If Johnny is smart, he loses the cell phone.

I didn't even realize that actress played Ezri Dax (but then again I didn't watch much of Trek after a few seasons of TNG).
Old 07-12-02, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Patman ... this is TiVo ... hear me ... heeeeeaaar meeee ...

Yeah, that last episode was pretty weak on all accounts. I didn't get all the phone call nonsense, and the flashback stuff was stretching it like you said.

In the first few episodes I loved the dynamic between Sarah and Johnny and Walt. They played it like she would always be faithful to her husband but refused to let her best friend out of her life just because of this situation. That last episode played it much more obsessive, and I'm not sure if I'll like that direction. She was quite annoying calling him every 5 seconds.

Ezri was only one season of Deep Space Nine, so it's not surprising you'd forget her.

das
Old 07-12-02, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the last epsiode (the 40's romance) better than the hockey player episode. I have to admit I was pretty touched at the end when the two old people got together. Yes, I teared up.

I was laughing earlier in the episode when Johnny as that other soldier guy was talking in the funny voice.

It made me think of Weird Science: "I was crazy in love with this 8th grade bitch, with the big-big titites."

Old 07-12-02, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Patman

Curse you people for making me add this to my "tape queue" on my VCRs.
VCR? What's a VCR? I've been in a coma for 6 years, and I don't know what you're talking about...
Old 07-12-02, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by renaldow
VCR? What's a VCR? I've been in a coma for 6 years, and I don't know what you're talking about...

das
Old 07-12-02, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

AMH's "Duh fam'lee dules!" from Weird Science is always a gut buster for me.

Would Johnny know what those crankable record players would be, or 78s? How about a typewriter?
Old 07-13-02, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I somehow missed even knowing about this show until recently so I saw the first show on Sci-Fi last night and I'm Tivoing the USA episodes starting with last Sunday's until I catch up on Sci-Fi. At least from the first one it looks as if they should be viewed in order. And he did know what CDs were.

Anyway, I liked it and I'm looking forward to more.
Old 07-16-02, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So far I've really liked all of the episodes - with my favorite parts being the times Johnny sees things. AMH is proving himself to be quite a talented actor - he really does dialects and voices and mannerisms of different types of people extremely well. Quite impressive, imo. And while it might get old for some people quickly, I love it each time Johnny is able to convince a new person that he really does know more than he possibly could through normal means. Must be the part of me that wishes there were really people who could do that and then use it to help others - quite idealistic and extremely appealing. No, I'm not a sci-fi/fantasy geek or anything.

The only thing I didn't like was the obsessive phone situation that you guys mentioned already, and with any luck that type of behavior will be toned down. Oh, and it would be nice if the writers bothered to find out when objects and knowledge actually hit the public at large to make for a more realistic sense of what a person might have lost by being in a coma between the years 1996 and 2002. That being said, the knowledge inconsistencies don't bother me nearly as much as they bother most of you.
Old 07-16-02, 08:09 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
This show gets worse and worse. This week's episode was a direct rip of "12 Angry Men." There was even a similiar plotline in a "Malcolm in the Middle" epsiode this season.

Next week's looks interesting with the return of Winchester. It's the show's last chance for me.
Old 07-17-02, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
If he doesn't go back to solving crimes, I "predict" I'm going to stop watching the show.
So simple, but hilarious.
Old 07-17-02, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since we're nitpicking this show, on Sunday nights episode, why didn't he instantly just go and touch everything and get the visions? He took his sweet old time getting to all the objects (several hours must have past between the gun touching and the bullet touching), wasting everyones time and pissing everyone off.
Old 07-17-02, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Jeraden
Since we're nitpicking this show, on Sunday nights episode, why didn't he instantly just go and touch everything and get the visions? He took his sweet old time getting to all the objects (several hours must have past between the gun touching and the bullet touching), wasting everyones time and pissing everyone off.
He doesn't always get a vision ... just when it's important to the plot. Geez.

das
Old 07-17-02, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought it was funny when Johnny was imitating the store clerk's accent in the flashback. This is pretty clever they get to use AMH's gift to spoof ethnic accents within this framework. I can't wait till they put in the dress of a woman, high heels, and has to dance with some guy pawing his/her ass.