Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone catch Leno's "fruitcake" comment to Tom Cruise?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-02, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone catch Tom Cruise's appearance on Jay Leno to promote Minority Report? Cruise seemed to be quite uncomfortable during the interview as Leno constantly harped on Cruise's braces and middle age (I cannot believe that guy is over 40!). Then, as the segment was closing off, Leno suddenly asks Cruise, "do you like fruitcake?" Cruise's semi-stunned expression and slow, awkward reply of "not really" was priceless. Does anyone else think that either Leno was making a subtle jab at Cruise's homosexual rumors or that Cruise thought he was?
Old 07-10-02, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Amen Conscience - Cruise was on Letterman a week or so ago, and the interview was hilarious and there was never anything awkward at all - Dave would never do anything that dumb.

Jay's just pitiful with interviews (and comedy too, but it's the interviews that make him absolutely unbearable), while Dave is a master at it all.
Old 07-10-02, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
the only thing funny about leno is his chin
Old 07-10-02, 02:19 AM
zig

Hmm.. Leno said that? It must be popular to dislike Tom Cruise now or something (not that it's a hard thing to do).
Old 07-10-02, 02:49 AM

Regardless of wether Cruise is gay or not
I find it very suspicious that the rumours stopped as soon as he started dating Penelope Cruz, or dont people think that she could also be a "beard"

But then again everyone in Hollywood is gay for 15 minutes
Old 07-10-02, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I want to clarify something: The next guest on the show was a lady who made fruitcakes, so it's not like Leno had no cause at all to ask that. It's just that the way Leno timed the question and Cruise's reaction made me wonder if either or both of them thought there was more meaning behind the comment.

BTW, I have no love for Leno, but Letterman is as terrible an interviewer as anyone out there. Half the time, he looks like he'd rather be picking his toenails. Just because he's edgy/bored enough to sometimes disrespect his guests doesn't make him a good interviewer. Give me Conan any day of the week.
Old 07-10-02, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts
Originally posted by ipkevin
Give me Conan any day of the week.
I agree. I stopped watching Leno a year or two ago when I he started using the morons he found during "Jaywalking" as regulars on the show.

Letterman is a little better but it seems like he's been phoning in his show for several years now.

Conan, on the other hand, seems genuinely happy when he gets a big star (it doesn't happen that often), and Conan's guest know it's a little more laid back than the other shows so they are a little goofier with him. (Harrison Ford's expression when the elevator doors were closing on him was hilarious).
Old 07-11-02, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leno just seems totally totally out there. Looking into his eyes when he's doing an interview is like looking into empty space.

Lettermen seems there at least, even if he doesn't always seem like he's enjoying himself.
Old 07-11-02, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Leno sucks...he kisses everybody's ass all of the time

Letterman is great and Conan is even better, mostly because his timeslot helps him out just like it did Dave when he followed Carson.

has Preparation-H Raymond been on Conan lately?
Old 07-11-02, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only reason he asked Tom Cruise that was because the next guest was an old lady who made fruitcake and Leno wanted Tom to stay for the next segment and help make some. No big deal. Also, I think Leno is way better than Letterman. I think Dave is funny, but I just like Leno better.
Old 07-12-02, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jay Leno is a great interviewer -- for me to poop on.