DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Do we need to redefine the term “broadcast”? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/220456-do-we-need-redefine-term-%93broadcast%94.html)

Wizdar 07-06-02 03:29 PM

Do we need to redefine the term “broadcast”?

I heard a radio spot for “the broadcast premier of Austin Powers on TBS” and thought there was something wrong with that idea.

To me, “broadcast” means the same thing as “over-the-air” [or RF, if you want to get technical]. Broadcast and TBS, therefore, do not belong together.

Now, I understand what they are trying to say: this is the premier on a “non-pay” (e.g. HBO) channel.

[OK then, how many folks don’t pay for their cable. But I digress.]

Does the word need to be placed in the same category as VHS, something that should die but refuses to do so? Not having an accurate term that rolls off the tongue, are we gonna be stuck with this oxymoron as we are with “dialing a phone” and “The New TNN”?

calhoun07 07-06-02 03:52 PM

Heck, I am still trying to figure out why on certain news websites, I am told to "stay tuned" for any more new news.

I feel we will be stuck with the oxymoron. It takes quite a while to get such words out of the English language.

movielib 07-06-02 06:12 PM

I agree with you about "broadcast."

But doesn't TBS (formerly WTBS) broadcast over the air in Atlanta?

Wizdar 07-06-02 08:09 PM

I think you may have something there. I completely forgot about that.

das Monkey 07-07-02 12:13 AM

Originally posted by movielib
I agree with you about "broadcast."

But doesn't TBS (formerly WTBS) broadcast over the air in Atlanta?

Was about to say the same thing. I watched TBS long before I knew what cable was. What sucks for people like my parents (who will probably never get cable) is that Turner South and Fox Sports South have the rights to so many Braves games now. One of the great things about TBS was that no matter what the circumstances, you could always tune in a Braves game (or <I>Saved by the Bell</I> or <I>Matlock</I>). Some things should never change. :)

Originally posted by Wizdar
Does the word need to be placed in the same category as VHS, something that should die but refuses to do so? Not having an accurate term that rolls off the tongue, are we gonna be stuck with this oxymoron as we are with “dialing a phone” and “The New TNN”?
Don't forget "WB's New New Tuesday". I "tape" that all the time with my TiVo. To be fair, though, I "could care less" - it's really just the "same difference."

das

Nick Danger 07-08-02 12:41 PM

How about if we redefine broadcast as meaning: uses the same amount of bandwidth regardless of the number of viewers. That gets cable, RF, and satellite transmission. It doesn't cover internet data, which gets more expensive to transmit with each new viewer.