TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

AMC Much More Movie - The Deer Hunter

Old 06-23-02, 07:17 PM

AMC Much More Movie - The Deer Hunter

Yes, they have added what seems like a ton of commerical breaks. ( Still way less than Bravo, TBS, TNT, etc.), and they edit nudity and some foul words.

But they are showing this in letterbox and what is really cool is pop facts at the bottom of the letterbox appearing every 10 seconds or so. A ton of interesting facts for a great movie.
Old 06-23-02, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

last week it was for butch cassidy and the sundance kid. Here is my problem, why is an R rated movie now tv g on amc.
Old 06-23-02, 09:32 PM
zig

Personally I can't stand that Much More Movie thing. I just get too distracted by the facts and cant pay attention to the movie.. I guess it'd be good for a movie I've seen a hundred times before..
Old 06-23-02, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love Much More Movie. I don't know that I'd enjoy it for movies I haven't seen numerous times before, but for those classic films that you know by heart, its a good show.

Breakfast at Tiffany's was on three weeks back.
Old 06-24-02, 01:08 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by zig
Personally I can't stand that Much More Movie thing. I just get too distracted by the facts and cant pay attention to the movie.. I guess it'd be good for a movie I've seen a hundred times before..
I agree with you about that with movies I've never seen. This was my first time seeing The Deer Hunter and I wanted to enjoy it fully, but the blue bar was very annoying and it distracted me too much. The film was still excellent and I will probably buy the DVD to enjoy it more, but I wish TCM showed this, not AMC. Though I was glad it was in it's OAR , and AMC is pretty good about that and with the commercials. At least the facts were quite interesting.
Old 06-24-02, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by Bricks II

I agree with you about that with movies I've never seen. This was my first time seeing The Deer Hunter and I wanted to enjoy it fully, but the blue bar was very annoying and it distracted me too much. The film was still excellent and I will probably buy the DVD to enjoy it more, but I wish TCM showed this, not AMC. Though I was glad it was in it's OAR , and AMC is pretty good about that and with the commercials. At least the facts were quite interesting.
I agree, much like pop up video. If you have seen the video a hundred times it makes the 101 st time interesting. Otherwise it is way too much of a distraction. I had seen The Deer Hunter before (dont own the dvd - This one is begging for a special edition) so this time watching the movie with comments was not a distraction. This is how I treat a directors commentary tract.
Old 06-24-02, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

how bad was the editing of violence, language, and or sex on the amc version
Old 06-24-02, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
how bad was the editing of violence, language, and or sex on the amc version
As far as words go ,Bitch was ok but not much else. No f word though you could make it out when they said mother----- and such.

I dont recall any nudity in the original. I could be wrong.

Violence , well the key scene, Russian roullette , appeared to be intact. Violence doesnt get much worse than that in this film. The facts regarding this scene were quite interesting. "De Niro wanted a live round in the chamber and it was put in there" WOW! Intense scene.

Last edited by rskinfn; 06-24-02 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-24-02, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by rskinfn
Violence , well the key scene, Russian roullette , appeared to be intact. Violence doesnt get much worse than that in this film.
The final Russian Roulette scene was slightly altered:
Spoiler:
from what I remember, blood squirts out of Nicky's head after he shoots himself. This was edited out and just showed the gunshot and then quickly cut to DeNiro holding Nicky as he was dying

35+ deaths contributed to The Deer Hunter?! WOW! This world is filled with morons I guess.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 06-24-02 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-24-02, 07:01 PM

I only watched the first bit of it, and the first Russian Roulette scene was edited also, but only like 2 seconds of blood squirt.
Old 06-26-02, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rypro 525
last week it was for butch cassidy and the sundance kid. Here is my problem, why is an R rated movie now tv g on amc.
Actually Butch Cassidy was rated PG (or M as it was labeled back then).

Much More Movie was interesting. I sure liked the fact that Deer Hunter was presented in 2.35:1. The picture quality was significantly better than it's ever looked on TV, and it was great to finally see the whole image. This is one DVD I've been holding off for a while. Now, I think the notes were a bit much and rather distracting, but interesting at the same time...and hey, if they're gonna show movies in OAR for that, then that's cool. Just a few weeks ago, though, they were showing The Great Escape in P&S.