Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Crocidile Hunter-'The Encounter That Almost Ended it ALL?'

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-02, 11:21 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Crocidile Hunter-'The Encounter That Almost Ended it ALL?'

The season premire of Steve Irwins Crocidile Hunter (next sunday) is being billed as 'The Encounter That Almost Ended It All" They showed a clip of Steve doubled over saying "Sometimes you just make a mistake"

Whats the deal? Is this for real or some kind of gimmick?
Old 06-16-02, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the animal planet website:

Sunday, June 23
The Crocodile Hunter: Africa's Final Frontier
Namibia is the driest place on Earth. Wildlife here relies on a few precious water holes spread across a vast, desolate landscape. The parched land and thirsty wildlife wait desperately for the coming wet season. In the meantime, animals here must rely on a few precious water holes spread across a vast, desolate landscape. Crossing paths with desert elephant herds fighting for supremacy of the water holes and endangered black rhinos in one of their last strongholds in the wild, Steve is witness to the daily struggle for survival. A near-fatal accident leaves the Croc Hunter partly incapacitated and a target for predators. Knowing that a wounded lion can become a potential man-eater, Steve keeps a wary eye on an old male limping into the shade of a nearby tree. He wanders into a charge from a female cheetah protecting her cubs, and has a close encounter with three white rhinos. The zebra spitting cobra is the one animal Steve hoped he would encounter, but this dangerous snake proves a real handful to wrangle with only one hand. Steve's adventure culminates with the arrival of the wet season on his journey through this harsh country known as Africa's Final Frontier
Old 06-17-02, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm. that should be cool to watch.

but maybe. just maybe, he shouldn't pick up every freaking animal he comes across!!

cranky.
Old 06-17-02, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by crankyman
hmmm. that should be cool to watch.

but maybe. just maybe, he shouldn't pick up every freaking animal he comes across!!

cranky.
Old 06-17-02, 08:43 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'm surprised the guy is still alive.

I sure as hell wouldn't be picking up animals and such, saying things like "look at this snake, its the deadliest in the world. Oh, crikey, it just bit me."

Heh...
Old 06-17-02, 08:47 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
His support crew must carry all the antivenom and antidotes JUST IN CASE. I think its just a matter of time before he gets some nervous system damage/partial paraylsis from some kind of snake bite. Heck, its REALITY TV!
Old 06-17-02, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The funny thing about Steve Irwin is he is NOT respected in the wildlife biology field. In fact, many wildlife biologists actively hate the guy because they feel he is irresponsible, and mistreats the animals.

That said, I expect him to get killed in the next two to five years. Probably venomous snake related, but possibly due to a stupid slip as he's hopping around cliff faces looking for lizards.
Old 06-17-02, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,127 Posts
Originally posted by mllefoo
The funny thing about Steve Irwin is he is NOT respected in the wildlife biology field. In fact, many wildlife biologists actively hate the guy because they feel he is irresponsible, and mistreats the animals.

That said, I expect him to get killed in the next two to five years. Probably venomous snake related, but possibly due to a stupid slip as he's hopping around cliff faces looking for lizards.

I believe this Foo!!!!

I'll tell you why....Do ya'll ever wonder how most animal shows just happen to "come across" some of the most the animals they do?

It' ALL -- or mostly--set up otherwise you wouldn't have much to show on the weekly tv show. Do you remember years ago Jaques Custeau's son admitted to puring bleach into a an octopus' holding bin to make it crawl out and over the side of the boat... just so they could get a great shot?

They also move animals into predatory areas to get shots of aniumals eating.
Old 06-17-02, 10:09 PM
Banned

I think his wife puts him in those situations.
She must have a big insurance policy on him.
Old 06-24-02, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched this last night while making dinner.
I'm not sure if the croc hunter qualifies for spoiler treatment, but:
Spoiler:
this show was so completely lame. His 'encounter' that almost ended it all? was from a f'n splinter from a tree. It was a big splinter (maybe 2 inches long) that went into his hand, but still, all the buildup for this. Sucked.

Dave
Old 06-24-02, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

His near death encounter was so lame I was mad I watched the show.
Old 06-24-02, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by crankyman
Just look at South Park. The Croc. Hunter-type guy that the kids watch gets good results without ever picking anything up - he just "shoves his finger up the animal's bunghole"!
Old 06-25-02, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Color me horrified. That man actually has a movie coming out. So we will now get 90 minutes of his stupid mugging to the camera. 90s minutes of "Crikey, mate. Don't let 'er bitchya heah!"

I used to be entertained by his show till I realised what a reckless animal abusing dork he really is.
Old 06-25-02, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
He got a splinter and they made it out as a near-fatal encounter? What was the danger?
Old 06-25-02, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched this by accident I didn't know it was supposed to be this big life or death encounter, so I probably enjoyed it more then the rest of you because to me it was a regular episode, but he got hurt, and the splinter was damn big. I believe it was life or death because it came from a tree that is poisonous, but he didn't seem to concerned about it more mentioned it in passing almost.
Old 06-25-02, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I think it was a thorn, from the tree, instead of a splinter... His arm was pretty swollen.
Old 06-26-02, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The only thing more exciting than this is probably that movie he has coming out. It looks FABULOUS! In fact, I think more trailers should have the stars interacting with the studio logo for 70% of the preview.