TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

O'Reilly's latest FOX "special" (Friday)

Old 06-10-02, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

O'Reilly's latest FOX "special" (Friday)

I'm a little late in getting to this, because I was away for the weekend. I thought there would already be a thread up and running about it.

O'Reilly's such a blustering, self-important buffoon that he doesn't even detect the inherent hypocrisy and undeniable partisanship in his diatribes. He claims not to take sides, yet he only attacks those on the left (middle, actually), when, in this case, it would have been much more convincing for him to have grilled conservative celebrities.
After all, how can you ascribe to your party's belief that Hollywood's sex and violence sensationalism is harmful to society at large when you have profited enormously from it? Professed Republicans Schwarzenegger, Gibson, and Russell have starred in some of the most gleefully violent movies in Hollywood's history. Another campaigning Re, Bo Derek, has spent more of her movie career naked than clothed. Where were they in your special, O'Reilly? Guess it wasn't politically expedient to berate your ideological compatriots. If you're not going to be scrupulously fair, as you always so insistently contend you are, then just shut up.

His outrage over the Red Cross fundraising drive is also empty blather. I wonder how much of his millions were donated.
Old 06-10-02, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

what does blather mean? I watched some of the show, mainly the Rosie interview. But, I wanted to know what was the big deal with him asking where the money from the fund raiser went?
Old 06-10-02, 04:37 PM
zig

I don't know why people get so upset over O'Reilly. He's just another blabbering mouth on cable, who cares what he says? I happen to agree with him on a lot of things, although I don't consider myself conservative. But I know he's just a guy looking for ratings, just like everybody else on TV.
Old 06-10-02, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: O'Reilly's latest FOX "special" (Friday)

Originally posted by Will Vielficken
I'm a little late in getting to this, because I was away for the weekend. I thought there would already be a thread up and running about it.

O'Reilly's such a blustering, self-important buffoon that he doesn't even detect the inherent hypocrisy and undeniable partisanship in his diatribes. He claims not to take sides, yet he only attacks those on the left (middle, actually), when, in this case, it would have been much more convincing for him to have grilled conservative celebrities.
After all, how can you ascribe to your party's belief that Hollywood's sex and violence sensationalism is harmful to society at large when you have profited enormously from it? Professed Republicans Schwarzenegger, Gibson, and Russell have starred in some of the most gleefully violent movies in Hollywood's history. Another campaigning Re, Bo Derek, has spent more of her movie career naked than clothed. Where were they in your special, O'Reilly? Guess it wasn't politically expedient to berate your ideological compatriots. If you're not going to be scrupulously fair, as you always so insistently contend you are, then just shut up.

His outrage over the Red Cross fundraising drive is also empty blather. I wonder how much of his millions were donated.

What a bunch of liberal remarks

Please illustrate and backup ALL your points for us!

Show us how O'Reilly ONLY criticizes the "left" and NEVER gives ANYONE on the right a hard time?

Show us through examples and web links examples of how O'Reilly has lied or NOT told the truth

And why was his outrage over the Red Cross hiding, hoading and lying about the money they raised for victims of 9/11, "blather" You seem to complain a lot and make lots of accusations but don't back them up at all
Old 06-10-02, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: O'Reilly's latest FOX "special" (Friday)

Originally posted by Sominex
What a bunch of liberal remarks
I'm terribly, terribly insulted

Please illustrate and backup ALL your points for us!
Try reading. I believe I made myself very clear, except with re. the Red Cross issue (see below).

Show us how O'Reilly ONLY criticizes the "left" and NEVER gives ANYONE on the right a hard time?
To my discredit, I should have added the caveat that I have only seen his FOX primetime shows and his appearances as a pundit on various talk shows. Granted, my cable service doesn't provide FoxNews, so I've never seen his "O'Reilly Factor" or whatever the hell it's called, but from what I have seen of him (which is a fair bit), his tactics are most definitely not impartial.
What's your rebuttal to my comments about the absence of conservative celebrities in his gunsights? Can't figure that one out?

Show us through examples and web links examples of how O'Reilly has lied or NOT told the truth
Where did I say he lied, and what do my complaints about him have to do with lying? He's just spinning (yes O'Reilly, spinning) stories to fit his agenda. Still, that doesn't make everything he says worthless, but he's much less of a hard-nosed truth-finder than he thinks he is. He's little more than an agit-prop windbag for the right wing.
The guy's spouting his conservative moralizing on FOX of all stations. If you can't see the contradiction there, you need to invest in some enlightenment.

And why was his outrage over the Red Cross hiding, hoading and lying about the money they raised for victims of 9/11, "blather".
It's only blather in relation to his furious attack on celebrities. I'm not arguing that there wasn't deception on the part of the Red Cross. If they promised that 100% of the donations would go to the terrorism victims, then they should have followed through. The stars, however shallow their motives for appearing may or may not have been, I don't believe have an obligation to be a watchdog of what the Red Cross does subsequently. Blaming them is like blaming a guy whose car is stolen because he left the key in the ignition. It's passive negligence at worst, not active fraud.
O'Donnell did make some caustic, revealing statements about the sanctimonious hypocrisy - stinginess - of her celebrity friends, though.

You seem to complain a lot and make lots of accusations but don't back them up at all
And you would be who? Never mind, I couldn't possibly care less.

Last edited by Norm de Plume; 06-10-02 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-10-02, 06:46 PM
zig

Re: Re: Re: O'Reilly's latest FOX "special" (Friday)

He's just spinning (yes O'Reilly, spinning) stories to fit his agenda. Still, that doesn't make everything he says worthless, but he's much less of a hard-nosed truth-finder than he thinks he is. He's little more than an agit-prop windbag for the right wing.
heh.. I would agree with that. He's definitely hypocritical about things like that, but I don't know that he knows that. He seems truly ignorant to it. One thing that always annoyed me is he attacked Rosie O'Donnel for "coming out," and saying she could have stood up for the things she believed in without saying what her sexual orientation is. but.. he does that every time he talks about a gay issue. "Now I'm not gay but..." bah!
Old 06-11-02, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Bill O'Reilly should go back to "Inside Edition" and chase around Tonya Harding and O.J. Simpson like he used to.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 06-11-02 at 01:00 AM.
Old 06-11-02, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like Bill. I like what he says and what he stands for. I don't think he is a hypocrite, he has said himself some of what he does on the Factor is for the sake of ratings. Anyone on tv has to do that. He also pokes fun at the time he spent on inside edition.
What he does that no other news show does is report things we don't get from the liberals. Like the Mexican border incidents, he interviews those who dare to come on his show and not let them use it as a free political commercial. As for the red cross, he's right on the mark. I have a problem donating to charities where the administrators of said charities drive BMWs. You wonder how Bill donates, I wonder how much the charity administrators donate.
A lot of liberals say they are open minded. I would like to see this. Try reading Bills two books. They are actually more about family values than politics. I would find hard to beleive that a parent, liberal or conservative, would not agree with at least some of his points.
Old 06-11-02, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Dear Morf and latenight,

As the other thread was closed before I could respond, and Morf's email is hidden, yes ... I was being sarcastic (and consequently agreeing with you, Morf). Apologies if that wasn't clear.

das

P.S. On topic, I don't agree with O'Reilly on many things, but I don't have a problem with him simply because we disagree. He exposes a lot of frauds, and it's funny to watch him do it.
Old 06-11-02, 10:09 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
I think Bill O'Reilly should go back to "Inside Edition" and chase around Tonya Harding and O.J. Simpson like he used to.
Agreed. The guy is a complete buffoon. My solution to O'Reilly's BS is to turn to a different station when he's on.

Oh, wait. I do that for ALL of the FOX 'News' programs.
Old 06-11-02, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: O'Reilly's latest FOX "special" (Friday)

I'll try and break this down for you one step at a time.

O'Reilly's such a blustering, self-important buffoon that he doesn't even detect the inherent hypocrisy and undeniable partisanship in his diatribes.
I am not sure if you are a liberal, but it's a safe guess. Liberls do not like to back up anything they say (which you have not done yet, but i'll ask again just in case you missed the first request)

Could you tell us through examples and url links, how he is even reomotely partisan? Also, show us his "inherent hypocrisy" I find it hard to believe EITHER statement, since he clearly actually gives them room and time to talk. Unlike many journalists or liberals, he does not shout over them, ignore them, or cut them off. He ALWYS gives them the last word

He claims not to take sides, yet he only attacks those on the left (middle, actually), when, in this case, it would have been much more convincing for him to have grilled conservative celebrities.
I would have liked to seen him talk with Conservative celebs in his latest prime time show as well. But Conservative celebs do not shove their opinion down people's throats, do not bad mouth and rip people without backing up what they say, and they do not make outlandish , stupid, ignorant comments like "what Bush did in the election of 2001 is worse then what happend to us on Sept 11th" or "Those people at FOX are fascisits" Those statements are fine to make, but when you don't back them up, and you don't answer questions about them, it shows how weak and WRONG you are.

To save time.. why don't you just tell me 3 or 4 conservative celebrities (movie starts and people of the like) who yell and complain as much as Baldwin, Clooney, Basinger and Sheen. Just 3 or 4...

After all, how can you ascribe to your party's belief that Hollywood's sex and violence sensationalism is harmful to society at large when you have profited enormously from it? Professed Republicans Schwarzenegger, Gibson, and Russell have starred in some of the most gleefully violent movies in Hollywood's history.
Liberals (about 50 times as many) have starred in all the same gorry, action, violence sexual content movies as well. What is your point?

Another campaigning Re, Bo Derek, has spent more of her movie career naked than clothed. Where were they in your special, O'Reilly? Guess it wasn't politically expedient to berate your ideological compatriots.
Again..... conservative celebs do not make it their daily way of life to bash everyone and everything that they do not like, and THEN NOT back it up with any info, and run away from the questions. What would be the point of having all those you mentioned on the show. They are not the loud mouthed, ignorant, WRONG people that he has, or has wanted to interview

If you're not going to be scrupulously fair, as you always so insistently contend you are, then just shut up.
Again, how is he not being fair? He takes the views, he itnerives who he can, and he gives HIS opinion. It/s funny becasue when you aks O'Reilly why he thinks what he does, and to BACKUP his comments, he does it. When you ask Baldwin or someone else, they run away, personally attack you, clal you names and tell you "no comment"

O'Reilly always gives the last word to his guests. 90% of all liberal celebs just shout over you, don't answer your questions, and change the subject. Why? Because they CAN NOT backup any of the nonsense they say. They are like little kids. THey get angry and just shout things and personally attack people. They can NEVER EVER back it up 95% of the time

Then, there ARE liberal celebs like Rosie O'Donnel who admit" I have said some really stupid things.. and I regret them!" And she also went on to at least TRY and illustrate WHY she says and believes what she does. Agree with or not, I admire her for at lest backing up what she says she believes in and why. She is not like ost who run away

the celebs who volunterred to do that show, OWE the people who they asked money from an explanation as to WHY that money took SO long getting to the victims. They did not give it. They did not give any comment. IF you lend your name and face to somethign that colelcts money, YOU need to find out WHERE that money is going. Isn't it funny how of ALL the celebs who did the telethon, and he sked them if they could find out what happened to the money, the ONLY ones who talked to him (as far as I know) were Conservatives?

Oh, and who am I? I am Sominex!
Old 06-11-02, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Your replies aren't the least bit persuasive - the opposite in fact.

Perhaps I shouldn't have stooped to calling O'Reilly names initially, but, apart from that, you don't seem to be able to grasp the basics of my argument. I have no more time to waste on you.
Old 06-11-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Your replies aren't the least bit persuasive - the opposite in fact.

Perhaps I shouldn't have stooped to calling O'Reilly names initially, but, apart from that, you don't seem to be able to grasp the basics of my argument. I have no more time to waste on you.

Excellent, and YOU have proven my point!

When most liberal people do not know how to answer you or can not rebut the evidence, or backup what they said, they leave and run away..

Thank you Will! You have proven my main point through your actions.

oh, and I was not trying to "persuade" you of anything... Just prove your statments wrong and/or lacking in evidence. And I did that just fine....
Old 06-11-02, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
O'Reilly spins stuff? yeah I've seen that
hard nosed, doesn't let other people talk much when interviewing them? yes, happens daily
windbag? I could see someone thinking that
right wing? no, I've heard just as many left wing ideas from him as right wing

He's just spinning (yes O'Reilly, spinning) stories to fit his agenda. Still, that doesn't make everything he says worthless, but he's much less of a hard-nosed truth-finder than he thinks he is. He's little more than an agit-prop windbag for the right wing.
Old 06-11-02, 11:31 PM

If you haven't seen his show on Fox News, you can find the transcripts to most of the interviews on the website http://www.foxnews.com/oreilly/. The Bill Mahr and Tom Clancy interviews I found to be quite good.
Old 06-12-02, 12:58 AM
Banned

It is a fact that O'Reilly was a registered Republican until late 2000 or 2001. The man cannot keep his rightwing thoughts to himself.
Old 06-12-02, 02:17 AM

Originally posted by livewiretoo
It is a fact that O'Reilly was a registered Republican until late 2000 or 2001. The man cannot keep his rightwing thoughts to himself.

And these actors he interviewed can't keep their leftwing thoughts to themselves. It's a fact that hollywood tries to force their extreme leftwing views on the public. O'Reilly may be a
Republican, but in all the interviews I've read he has at least listened to what the opposition has to say. Can you name even five movie in the past 15 years that has rightwing views? I can't help but laugh at all the democrats getting upset at O'Reilly over one show when Hollywood has been making movies for them for years and bashing republicans every chance they get.

Last edited by Shonn; 06-12-02 at 03:14 AM.
Old 06-12-02, 05:26 AM
Banned

I'll go back 20 years with your permision.

The Rambo series (glorifies the killing of people in the name of a Vietnam vet who has trouble dealing with the "abuse" he received when coming home)

Independence Day.

Armageddon.

Red Dawn. (A Russian invasion thwarted by some kick-butt teens.)

Heartbreak Ridge.

Seige at Ruby Ridge

In the Line of Duty:Ambush in Waco

Cider House Rules. (The "evils of abortion")

Last edited by livewiretoo; 06-12-02 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-12-02, 06:59 AM
Banned

Another thing I love about old Bill. When he complains about the charities with these "bad old liberal actors" and someone then suggests where they can send their money and why Bill doesn't do something about getting the money rightly directed to the charities, he somehow doesn't have the time or the desire to deal with the issue ("we'll get someone to look into that"). Ya, right.

In other words, he complains but then sits back and can't be bothered by being directing the money in the "right" direction. He's a hypocrite.
Old 06-12-02, 12:39 PM
Banned

Would people still donate if it wasn't a tax write-off?
Old 06-12-02, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sominex
When most liberal people do not know how to answer you or can not rebut the evidence, or backup what they said, they leave and run away..

Thank you Will! You have proven my main point through your actions.

oh, and I was not trying to "persuade" you of anything... Just prove your statments wrong and/or lacking in evidence. And I did that just fine....

One more time.....(sigh)

Sorry to (try to) clue you in sport, but you haven't proved or disproved squat. You're like a broken record with your "evidence....right/wrong....back up what you're saying". I should have addressed this earlier or ignored your first response entirely. I stumbled upon you doing the very same thing in another thread. You also overuse the CAPS, as if that's going to make your feeble ripostes more pithy.

See, what you can't seem to wrap your brain around is this:
  • Some things are irrefutable: That is a chair. It is raining outside. Bill Clinton was President. I am eating an apple.
  • Other things are based on what's called "Empirical evidence"; thoughts or positions derived from observation or experience: Richard Simmons is gay. If you jump from a three-storey window you will be injured or killed. Pit Bulls are dangerous dogs. Bill O'Reilly is tendentious.

See, it really isn't all that difficult. You seem like someone who counters valid ideas or impressions with repeated bleatings demanding proof, proof, proof, when he can't grasp the simple concept of informed (to varying degrees admittedly) opinion.
Old 06-12-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

das
Old 06-12-02, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One more time.....(sigh)

Sorry to (try to) clue you in sport, but you haven't proved or disproved squat. You're like a broken record with your "evidence....right/wrong....back up what you're saying". I should have addressed this earlier or ignored your first response entirely. I stumbled upon you doing the very same thing in another thread. You also overuse the CAPS, as if that's going to make your feeble ripostes more pithy.

See, what you can't seem to wrap your brain around is this:
  • Some things are irrefutable: That is a chair. It is raining outside. Bill Clinton was President. I am eating an apple.
  • Other things are based on what's called "Empirical evidence"; thoughts or positions derived from observation or experience: Richard Simmons is gay. If you jump from a three-storey window you will be injured or killed. Pit Bulls are dangerous dogs. Bill O'Reilly is tendentious.

See, it really isn't all that difficult. You seem like someone who counters valid ideas or impressions with repeated bleatings demanding proof, proof, proof, when he can't grasp the simple concept of informed (to varying degrees admittedly) opinion.
Here's a new one, I forgot to mention before, other then your personal attacks. Not really attacks but I understand it's all you left to "attack" with.

Your use of 50 cent words is nice, but still not proving anything

So, on your rationale, Cynthia McKinnye (sp) saying Bush knew about 9/11 attacks before hand, and Alec Baldwin saying Bush hurt this country more in the election, then what happened on 9/11 - are BOTH irrefutable?

Because we cannot disprove then 100%, then we just need to believe it. That makes a ton of sense. I think when people make outlandish accusations, they should be accpected to back them up with somthing. Does that not make sense to you? It clearly is as SIMPLE as that.

Sometimes people use caps locks to stress certain words. On a computer screen, you can emphasize a word more by capitalizing it, and thus making your sentences sound more like you would them to sound coming out of your mouth verbally. I enjoy debating here, but am not going to all the trouble to put html code to italicize, bullet things, etc,etc.
Old 06-12-02, 06:10 PM
Banned

Still no response from the right about my list of pro-right wing morality movies.
Old 06-13-02, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by livewiretoo
I'll go back 20 years with your permision.

The Rambo series (glorifies the killing of people in the name of a Vietnam vet who has trouble dealing with the "abuse" he received when coming home)
The second was pretty much right-wing, and not having seen the third, I can't comment on it. However, I'd hardly call the first one right wing. It deals with an emotionally scarred Vietnam veteran, and has an anti-law enforcement theme.

Independence Day.

An American President is treated as a heroic figure at the height of the Clinton Administration. 'nuff said.

Also contained shades of a one-world government.

Armageddon.

From what I remember, it was fairly apolitical, aside from shots of American flags. Had a slightly multicultural subtext -- goat herders listening to radios and such.

Still, Americans save the day with the help of a handful of post-communist russians.

Red Dawn. (A Russian invasion thwarted by some kick-butt teens.)

Okay, this thing was just nuts. Very right-wing, and unintentionally hilarious.

Heartbreak Ridge.

Hmm. Maybe. It certainly glorified the military, but seemed to be more of a personal story of the Eastwood character.

Seige at Ruby Ridge

This the TV movie with Randy Quaid and Laura Dern? Despite the subject matter, the portrayal of the Weavers surely wouldn't garner much sympathy.

In the Line of Duty:Ambush in Waco

Don't believe I saw this.

Cider House Rules. (The "evils of abortion")
Don't the pro-life crowd hate this book/movie?

Note that I don't really concern myself whether or not a movie is a piece of liberal/conservative propoganda, but it's fun to analyze such things.

I do find it amusing, though, when conservatives constantly complain about all of the liberals in Hollywood. What do they want, idelogical affirmative action quotas?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.