Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Sci-Fi Channel's: "Dog Soldier's"

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-10-02, 09:16 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Saw the trailer for this film during this morning "Sightings", looks great. Did a IMDB search and it was given a MPAA "R-rating". I would assume this will be santized for TV, right? Or will I have to wait for the eventual video release to see the full gory version?
Old 06-10-02, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The weird thing was, I had heard vague murmurs about this a while ago, and then when I was in England two weeks ago, i saw on the underground, what looked like actual theatrical release posters for this movie. At least the exact same name -- looked the same. Is this actually just a tv release here or was it going to be theatrically released here as well?

kinda weird.

Tuan Jim
Old 06-10-02, 04:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
well... according to imdb, the UK release was May 10th. I was just surprised to see a trailer for this as a SciFi presentation when stills from the film surfaced in Fangoria, which suggested to me it was going to be a theatrical release, proved me wrong!
Old 06-12-02, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The article in Fangoria stated that they hoped for an American theatrical release, meantime, Sci-Fi was going to air it (although cut), then the inevitable DVD release (uncut).
Old 06-17-02, 11:59 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

I also touched on Dog Soldiers in my coverage of Fangoria's Weekend of Horrors last fall:

Producer Christopher Figg (Hellraiser) was as animated as any proper English gentleman is allowed to be about his upcoming werewolf picture called Dog Soldiers (A+). He aptly describes it as "Zulu with werewolves." The story follows six special forces types who happen upon these beasts of the field and bad things happen. Figg's hope is that the flick will advance the genre beyond the Howling franchise and antiquated (a.k.a. expensive) "transformation" sequences. Could be the best film of its ilk since Project: Metalbeast.

PS: Curiously, Sci-Fi aired Metalbeast directly after Dog Soliders.

Last edited by G. Noel Gross; 06-17-02 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-17-02, 02:24 PM

I recorded this and I must say when I played it back I was p'd off.
Every other word was bleeped out. It ruined it so much for me that I had to stop the tape after about 15 minutes. What I did see looked really good, one of the best movies I've seen on the scifi channel. What bothers me the most is some of the words you can tell they are cutting out, you can hear on sitcoms like Friends.
Old 06-17-02, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched it - I wanted to like it - I didn't. I thought it was ridiculous how much language was bleeped out - F/X has started using s--t regularly, so why are "minor" swear words suddenly verboten on SciFi? Besides the bleeped out language, the choppy editing was quite off-putting, imo. And the effects, acting, dialogue and story were cheesy at best. Though I did watch the whole thing, hoping it would get better. Sorry to any who liked it.
Old 06-17-02, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
It aired already??
Old 06-17-02, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by clemente
It aired already??
Yep - Saturday.
Old 06-18-02, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by WarriorPrincess
I watched it - I wanted to like it - I didn't. I thought it was ridiculous how much language was bleeped out - F/X has started using s--t regularly, so why are "minor" swear words suddenly verboten on SciFi? Besides the bleeped out language, the choppy editing was quite off-putting, imo. And the effects, acting, dialogue and story were cheesy at best. Though I did watch the whole thing, hoping it would get better. Sorry to any who liked it.
I agree with your critique. It was cheesy but I expected that, therefore found it entertaining (in a mindless sort of way). I would like to see an uncut version but I do not see it as an addition to my collection. The movie reminded me of the Howlin
Old 06-18-02, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It was better than most of the "original" (it should be Direct to Scifi/video) crud they broadcast. I made sure to watch the repeat at 1AM so if it was terrible I'd just switch to something else and go to bed.

I love werewolves, but Dog Soldiers still did one of the horrible movie werewolf movie cliches- Werewolves that just stand still making performance art poses instead of leaping across a room and ripping people apart. I think Holwling really started it, making sure you could see the wolf, and the costuming being too cumbersome for the people to move.

It was an average horror, worth a rental or another SciFi viewing. It was pretty gory on Scifi so I dont see a real need for it unedited. Extra gore probably wont improve it very much.
Old 06-18-02, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw this film reviewed in this (or maybe last?) months issue of Total Film; Apparantly it's a British film, which they called "One of the most explosive, brutal and enjoyable horror debuts since Evil Dead". Four stars out of Five if that helps anyone.

So like you guys I was pretty shocked to see it on Sci-Fi at 11pm or so the other night...not sure why they put it in pan and scan and bleeped it all though - hope it comes out on DVD soon
Old 06-19-02, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 595 Likes on 430 Posts
i just noticed a comic book just came out that is called dog soldiers and is based on the movie.
issue 1 hit stands 6-19-2002.