Reload this Page >

Leno's phony "spontaneous" jokes.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-06-02, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen him do it many, many times. And last night was one of the worst.

He made a joke about K-Mart shoppers having mullets. He then stood there, not saying a word for like 10 seconds. Then, "spontaneously" his musical director (a black man) asked "Jay, what's a mullet?" (Very bad acting, by the way.)

Jay (not much better as an actor) responded, "Short on top, long in the back."

Music director: "Is that a white person hair style or something?"

Jay: "Yes, it's our 'corn rows'.

Audience laughs.

It's amazing to me the number of times they obviously set up these "spontaneous" jokes on his show. What people like Letterman and Conan are able to do for real, he stages.

Watch it sometime. Every time you hear his music director speak up during the monologue, you know it's coming. You can practically see them reading a script.
Old 06-06-02, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You're exactly right. I have noticed this many times. Neither Leno or Eubanks are particularly witty guys, so all of their "improv" is scripted. It's sad that a loaf like Jay Leno can have the most popular late night show on TV.
Old 06-06-02, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The music director (bandleader)'s name is Kevin.
"it's the Tonight Show with Jay Leno! Featuring Kevin Eubanks and the Tonight Show Band! And me, I'm Ed Hall! Tonight's guests..." something like that at the begining of every show.

If it bothers you so much, just tune in after the opening. It doesn't bother me. Letterman bothers me so I don't watch him at all. I can't stomach him and Paul. Conan doesn't bother me, so I watch his show. And thus I remain happy in my late night tv viewings.
Old 06-06-02, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually enjoy the Jay/Kevin bits the most.
The alternative is Letterman....i'd rather watch Koppel, he's more entertaining (my opinion, no need to start name calling)
Old 06-06-02, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by clemente
I actually enjoy the Jay/Kevin bits the most.
The alternative is Letterman....i'd rather watch Koppel, he's more entertaining (my opinion, no need to start name calling)
You carpetbagger!

PS: Anyone understand my joke?
Old 06-06-02, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Back in the early to mid '80 when Jay didn't have any regular TV gig, Letterman had him on every month or so like clockwork. Basically, it was acknowledged as Dave tossing a bone to Jay to get him some national exposure.

Anyway, a lot of times when Jay was doing panel, Dave would ask a very general question (or make a very general comment) very flatly and with very bad acting (kinda like Jeff asks Louie on that one ep of Taxi: "Hey Louie, I hear you have a date...."). It served no other purpose than to let Jay riff for 4-6 minutes. One I specifically remember, because we joked about it for weeks it was so bad, was Dave saying: "So, I hear you've been flying a lot.....". Jay just went from there.......
Old 06-06-02, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jobronie
Back in the early to mid '80 when Jay didn't have any regular TV gig, Letterman had him on every month or so like clockwork. Basically, it was acknowledged as Dave tossing a bone to Jay to get him some national exposure.

Anyway, a lot of times when Jay was doing panel, Dave would ask a very general question (or make a very general comment) very flatly and with very bad acting (kinda like Jeff asks Louie on that one ep of Taxi: "Hey Louie, I hear you have a date...."). It served no other purpose than to let Jay riff for 4-6 minutes. One I specifically remember, because we joked about it for weeks it was so bad, was Dave saying: "So, I hear you've been flying a lot.....". Jay just went from there.......
Sadly that describes almost all talk shows now.
Old 06-06-02, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I always find it funny how many Letterman-lickers that bitch about Leno always wind up watching his show somehow.

They're all about the same.....the only reason a lot of people (me included) watch them is to see the celebrities.

If you wanted to see a talk show that was actually "funny" then you should've watched The Chris Rock Show for the 4 years that it was on.

I think Conan was a fool to sign an extension with NBC. He could've had the 11:35/10:35 over at ABC. (Fox would probably pony up quite a bit of cash as well)
Old 06-06-02, 10:22 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by AgtFox

You carpetbagger!

PS: Anyone understand my joke?
Yes, yes I do.

car·pet·bag·ger Pronunciation Key (kärpt-bgr)
n.
1.) A Northerner who went to the South after the Civil War for political or financial advantage.
2.) An outsider, especially a politician, who presumptuously seeks a position or success in a new locality.

Makes perfect sense in reference to late-night talk shows.

(Being from the South, the 1st definition is the one I was most familiar with)
Old 06-06-02, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
I always find it funny how many Letterman-lickers that bitch about Leno always wind up watching his show somehow.
We watch during Dave's commercials. (or for a minute or two when some hot-ass girl comes on)

Anyhoo... yeah, people watch Jay for the celebrities (dear God it couldn't be for Leno's "humor") - but for Dave, hell, I prefer it when he has no-name celebrities as those USUALLY (not always) make for the best interviews. On the Tonight's Show, there is no such thing as a best interview... they're all pretty much unbearable.
Old 06-07-02, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by Jobronie
But back then Leno was actually funny. He really was. I'm not sure what happened.

Anyway, a lot of times when Jay was doing panel, Dave would ask a very general question (or make a very general comment) very flatly and with very bad acting. It served no other purpose than to let Jay riff for 4-6 minutes. "So, I hear you've been flying a lot.....". Jay just went from there.......
Um, you just described every appearance by every stand-up comedian who ever got to sit and chat with a talk-show host. This is how things have always been. "I just did five minutes of material. May I sit down and do three more? Ask me about my pancreas."

I'm not saying it's a good thing, but Leno didn't invent it.
Old 06-07-02, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
I believe that bad acting and all is part of the appeal of his comedy.

MAD TV does a great spoof on Kevin/Jay.
Old 06-08-02, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Not only is Jay spontaneous, but he's original too.

Last nite kicked off the Tonight Show's "Summer Concert Series"