TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Gellar says, "No" to Buffy movie...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-02, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gellar says, "No" to Buffy movie...

According to DARK HORIZONS:
Buffy: The Movie: Fans of the great Joss Whedon show have been holding out hope that after the series ends next season, the tales of the slayer will go back to the big screen in the true form it deserves. However in an interview to be published here tomorrow, Sarah Michelle Gellar gave a quite unexpected answer to the question "Are you committed to doing a film version of Buffy". Gellar replied: "You know, I don't...I'm not in to it, and I've got to be honest and say that I believe that, first of all, it was a movie, it didn't work as a film and we battled for so long, just getting out from underneath was essentially a failed feature film and I feel that with the beauty of the story, that the attachment you have and the ride that you take with these characters, and I feel like we make a movie every week. So to take one episode to expand, it's kind of a waste. And I also feel it's kind of a shocking thing for television. I feel like it's saying, well okay, now we move on to bigger things because your moviegoers expect it, but I am the one who is actually, I've always said I don't think it's right to be out and I don't think it's fair". Gellar also admitted there's no plans to do a follow-up 'musical' episode due to the sheer amount of preparation involved.
Old 06-05-02, 01:53 PM
Banned

If the movie is as painful as Buffy's last season.... then good!
Old 06-05-02, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put enough zeros on the check and Gellar will fall in line.

This is the opening volley in the salary negotiation - stating publicly that she doesn't think the film would work in an artistic context.

Trust me - she'll be there when "Buffy" moves to feature films. Just like Duchovny. Just like Nimoy.
Old 06-05-02, 02:16 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Gellar only goes for projects with intregrity and art value: like Scooby-Doo.
Old 06-05-02, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't want a film.

It has nothing to do with difficulties this season. Seven years of incredible storytelling is enough for me. Sure, I'd like all great things to continue forever, but it just doesn't seem to fit for me. If they can end strong, then let it end strong. It will forever be remembered (by people who actually watch television, not just NBC) as one of the true greats. I don't see a need for more, nor am I certain that the epic seasonal growth would even translate to the big screen. Buffy is truly special television - I think it's fair to leave it at that.

das
Old 06-05-02, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
We'll put this one right next to the "If Buffy moves networks, I won't go with it"

Frankly, if they release a movies, I wouldn't be interested. A few seasons ago, hell yeah, I'd have been camping like the goofy Star Wars kids (no offense to the goofy star wars kids amongst us). But now, I just don't have the interest in the show. At a certain point you have to question if there's anything left in the creative coffers. After what would be seven seasons, I don't think so.
The X-Files best move was releasing the film version while the shows was still on the air and still producing "quality" stories.

But once they lay the fat check in front of Gellar, she'll glady do it. It's not like her movie careers been on fire.
Old 06-05-02, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Gellars been around the Hollywood biz for awhile and I can see this being a power play... But I really dont care. Yeah, a Buffy movie could be neat, you never know, but honestly I dont think its very realistic. I mean, X Files had like three times the popularity and exposure that Buffy does. In that case it made sense to try a movie, but Buffy's appeal is just too narrow, its audience too small, and I dont think it could be a succesful film franchise. I woulnt mind them trying though. I just dont see it happening. TV movies maybe
Old 06-05-02, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey

It has nothing to do with difficulties this season. Seven years of incredible storytelling is enough for me. Sure, I'd like all great things to continue forever, but it just doesn't seem to fit for me. If they can end strong, then let it end strong. It will forever be remembered (by people who actually watch television, not just NBC) as one of the true greats. I don't see a need for more, nor am I certain that the epic seasonal growth would even translate to the big screen. Buffy is truly special television - I think it's fair to leave it at that.

das
Agreed...

I would like to see it go out on a wham-bang 2 hour series finale and then be done with it. This last season worked for me in the way a second act works in a play...now it's ready to go up and out in high fasion.
Old 06-05-02, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by clemente
We'll put this one right next to the "If Buffy moves networks, I won't go with it"
Actually, she said she wouldn't go to ABC, as they were talking about changing the format of the show. I applaud her for taking that stance.

das
Old 06-05-02, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not sure I want a movie either. The first one sucked so bad for me, that I didn't watch the show when it first came on. Gellar aside, it will only work if Joss wants to do that.

The difference the X-Files and Trek franchise is their creators were not doing other things at the time. Joss is working on Angel and developing his new show, Firefly. Trading one movie for several years of constant work may not be his thing. Plus I think he's working on other things too. May not be enough time.

clemente - goofy is a polite way to refer to idiots who wait in line for a month or more to see a movie.

If they make a movie I will check it out, but I'm not going to anticipate it or hope for it. I'd rather see them develop another show about another slayer at another point in time, maybe the future.
Old 06-05-02, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Groucho
Gellar only goes for projects with intregrity and art value: like Scooby-Doo.
Damn Groucho, you beat me to it.
Old 06-05-02, 06:17 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't care what anyone says, if Joss Whedon is doing to write and direct a Buffy feature, I'm going to go see it.
Old 06-05-02, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey

das

I agree.

Most movies based on popular series suck big time.

X-Files movie anyone?

Good for Gellar.
Old 06-05-02, 07:02 PM
Banned

I am beginning to think Geller is a bit of a hot head.
She never does any interviews for the Buffy discs and now she has this to say.
She better watch her mouth or she will be doing Cruel Intentions 3 and I know what you did the summer before last.

I think a movie could be good if they have a better season next year and they actually end it and not continue on with a Dawn the Slayer rumor after Geller leaves.

Just let Buffy and Angel end and do a movie with both casts.
Old 06-05-02, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh yea, I should have clarified. If the do a Dawn show, I probably won't watch. I like the actress, but not fond of the character.
Old 06-06-02, 02:21 AM
AJP
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by grunter
Put enough zeros on the check and Gellar will fall in line.

This is the opening volley in the salary negotiation - stating publicly that she doesn't think the film would work in an artistic context.

Trust me - she'll be there when "Buffy" moves to feature films. Just like Duchovny. Just like Nimoy.

This whole thing is a game-just like the wave of "Season 7 is probably the last...but you never know" interviews that popped up with various principals of the show in the past couple of months. Even SMG, when asked if she would continue with the series after Season 7, said "It's too early to answer that."

I think everyone involved is playing to keep their options-TV and movie-open; creating just enough uncertainty to leverage a better deal.
Old 06-06-02, 07:05 AM

Pee Wee was AWSOME in the movie.
Old 06-06-02, 09:36 AM

Gellar only goes for projects with integrity and art value: like Freddie Prinze, Jr..
Old 06-06-02, 10:29 AM

First I saw the movie and thought it sucked. Then I thought, "Why are they making a TV show based on a movie that sucked?". Now I'm thinking, "Why would they make a movie based on a TV show based on a movie that sucked?"

I'm so confused.

Edit:

If the Buffy character actually came from a comic book or something like that before the first movie,

A) I was not aware of that.
B) I don't care.
Old 06-06-02, 11:36 AM
MrN

Originally posted by sexy_overlord
Now I'm thinking, "Why would they make a movie based on a TV show based on a movie that sucked?"

I'm so confused.

Because the TV show did not 'suck'.
Old 06-06-02, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by MrN

Because the TV show did not 'suck'.
I never said the TV show sucked. I said the movie sucked. (Although I have seen the TV show, and my opinion differs from yours, but to each his own I guess.)
Old 06-06-02, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

sexy_overlord - to you maybe the show sucked or sucks, to many of us it doesn't. Just like anything else on this planet, it's all a matter of what you like.
Old 06-06-02, 05:43 PM
MrN

Originally posted by sexy_overlord

I never said the TV show sucked. I said the movie sucked. (Although I have seen the TV show, and my opinion differs from yours, but to each his own I guess.)
I never said that you said the TV show sucked.

No matter what your opinion of the TV show, its pretty much unanimous that it was a vast improvement over the original movie. Hence the talk of a new movie - hope that cleared up the confusion....
Old 06-06-02, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I actually think the movie was a comedic masterpiece and the show has spoiled the genius of the movie!!!!

Yeah, I'm just kidding.
Old 06-06-02, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even if there was a movie, what would it be about? The world's almost ended a couple odd times, they've sung and dance, been silent for a whole episode, and the Buffy's died and come back. There cannot possibly be any new interesting storyline for a movie...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.