DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Questions for Dish subscribers (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/212516-questions-dish-subscribers.html)

Wizdar 06-03-02 08:45 AM

Questions for Dish subscribers

I’ve been looking at the programming for both DirecTV and Dish and like the lineup offered by Dish. But I can’t seem to find any packages that allow you to actually own the equipment. Is this normal? Is equipment ownership something I should be concerned about?

And I can’t seem to find any info on PVRs. I’m specifically wondering if they have a tuner allowing you to watch a program while another is being recorded.

Are there any service-related issues I should be concerned with?

Enquiring minds want to know!

andyf 06-03-02 10:09 AM

Dish has so many packages it's confusing. Talk to a dealer, he'll be able to set you up with what you need. Also, coming out this month (so they say) is the 721, a dual tuner PVR. It the first release though and Dish isn't noted for their robust software, might take a while to get it right.

Jeraden 06-03-02 10:20 AM

I thought you always owned the equipment for Dish, I didn't know they even had a plan where you rented the stuff. They usually always have promotions where you get the equipment for free as long as you sign up for a year of AT150. But you do own the equipment and can do as you please with it after that. You can also buy additional receivers. Dishdepot.com is a popular online place to buy stuff from.

As far as PVRs go, the current model is the 501, which is what I have. It gives you most of the features that a Tivo would have except there is no 'season pass' or 'suggestions'. It does have a search function now though. It has about 35 hours of recording capacity. You can watch a previously recorded show while it records a live show. However you cannot watch a live show while it records a different live show. For that you'd need the recently released 721 model. It has a much bigger hard-drive for recording (don't remember how big) and features dual tuners, so you can watch/record live shows at the same time. The software on the 501 is pretty stable and I haven't had any major problems with it in a long time. When it first came out it had some big problems though. I think the 721 is a different software though, so it might have some bugs in it, but hopefully not as bad as when the 501 first came out. Even then, I still think its worth it. I'm not sure if the 721 can record 2 shows at the same time - it should be possible with the 2 tuners, but not sure if it does or not. The 721 is pretty pricey, so your other option would be to get the much cheaper 501 and just get a second receiver. That way you can watch live stuff with the 2nd receiver and record other stuff with the 501. There is an extra $5/month charge though for the 2nd receiver - but it might be nice since you can then use 2 separate TVs.

Pac-Rat 06-03-02 01:52 PM

I've never seen a deal where you don't own the equipment with DISH. Technically I believe they "own" the smart card even though if you sell the equipment the smart card is included.
Jeraden is correct about PVR. Make sure you note the part about the bugs.
The plan you choose is up to you, but from my personal experience, and hearing others horror stories take our advice and
Don't sign up for credit card auto-pay!.

Wizdar 06-03-02 04:28 PM

Check your fine print

Originally posted by Pac-Rat
I've never seen a deal where you don't own the equipment with DISH.
How is it you've never seen a Radio Crap commercial? -eek- ;)

While there is a plan for a one-TV hookup that appears to include the basic equipment (with a one-year commitment), there doesn’t seem to be any plans offering a two-receiver system where the equipment is included, nor is there an upgrade to the one-TV plan offered. The “up to 4 TVs” offer does not include equipment, in spite of the one-year commitment.*

The $99 PVR is part of one of those “lease” plans, or the MSRP is $299.

In either case, it seems the programming fees are the same.

I’ve seen offers for DirecTV that include the equipment as a freebie (with the exception of the PVR). Doesn’t seem to be the case with Dish. If you can find a deal like that, how ‘bout sharing?

*At the end of the required 12-month plan commitment, you have the option of continuing on a month-to-month basis at the current monthly plan or returning the hardware with no penalty. If your programming is disconnected or downgraded for any reason, or if you choose to end your Digital Home Plan before the expiration of the required 12-month period, you will be charged a cancellation fee of $240 within ten days of the disconnection or end of Plan participation. You must return all of the DISH Network equipment within fifteen days to DISH Network by calling 1-800-333-DISH (3474) or pay an Equipment Replacement Fee (Dish301- $199, DishPVR 501- $399, DISH 500 LNBF-$50, Quad LNBF- $149, 4:4 switch and LNBF’s- $149.)

Eternia 06-03-02 10:57 PM

I own my stuff from Dish. If you get the stuff on a sweet deal you usually just have to commit to x number of months of programming. I have the DishPVR 501 as my receiver and it works fine. I use to have DirecTV (switched to Dish a year and a half ago) and to me Dish's picture seemed better and I got a better deal for my $ at the time. I don't know how they compare in prices now. I get top150 + superstations & locals + hbo.

Check their website: http://www.dishnetwork.com/ they usually have the current deal up on whatever they are offering to new subscribers.

Cat 06-04-02 03:33 PM

I had to commit to a one year agreement to get my equipment at no charge. After the year is over, the equipment is mine. If I cancel before the one year is up, I have to pay $200 for the equipment and it is still mine. Either way, I own the equipment.

Cat

swapnilj 06-04-02 04:11 PM

Cat, then you got a awesome deal.
Wizdar, most dealers are offering 4 receiver for free, with 1 yr commitment, the equipment is rental for 1 yr though. They also then offer 3 months programming free on local + top program.
Usually most ask for activation fee of $49.99 but Looks like Cat didn't have to pay it either.

In my case, I needed another Dish for International package, so I had to pay another 80 bucks for the the 2nd dish.

Instead of 129.99+tax, I opted to get 2 dish and 2 receivers ( 301) for 179.99+tax. I got 3 months free on programming but I have to pay
for International package.
301 is a good receiver but
I would say, if I didn't need 2nd Dish, I would definitely suggest going for the Free receiver plan.
Every year there will be newer and better receiver in the market , you could buy those instead of being stuck with 301 like me.
I wish I had the 501. Not that I regret much since I paid 50 dollars and own both the dishes instead of nothing.
My 2 cents.

Mark Holtz 06-04-02 08:38 PM

There are basically two plans with Dish Network with a commitment:

"Digital Home Plan" - You lease the equipment from Dish Network and commit to a year of programming. There is an additional charge added to the bill.

"1-2-3" - You purchase the equipment, and then commit to one year of programming.

You can check the promotions at http://retailer.echostar.com . Also, check for locals at http://www.dishnetwork.com . If you qualify for locals AND there are stations on a side satellite, you can set a second dish free.

The 501 unit is a timer-based PVR, BTW, but there is no monthly fee.

Good luck.