Reload this Page >

Buffy 5-21-02 (Posible Spoilers)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-20-02, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

So, who do you think will win the Buffy vs. Dark Willow fight?

My prediction:
Spoiler:
It ends in a draw setting up Willow as net season's Big Bad.

Either way I am sure it will be a bittersweet outcome.
Old 05-20-02, 06:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard Cordi comes back and uses her new demon powers to make them both serene and happy like she did for Connor last week.
Old 05-21-02, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just heard a good radio advertisment for tonights episode:
Spoiler:
It's just Willows voice saying "Now I get to be the Slayer."

Now I am looking forward to tonight even more!!
Old 05-21-02, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm pumped...I'm hoping for some ass-kicking Willow action.
Old 05-21-02, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man... another episode already? I still can't get over what she did to Warren last time.
Old 05-21-02, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd love to see Willow get some ass kicking time in. I wonder if she is gonna get into any physical fights or if it's all gonna be the magic. I would love to see her just kick the crap out of someone.
Old 05-21-02, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RaraFemina
I'd love to see Willow get some ass kicking time in. I wonder if she is gonna get into any physical fights or if it's all gonna be the magic. I would love to see her just kick the crap out of someone.
Even Buffy?
Old 05-21-02, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD

Even Buffy?
Especially Buffy!
Old 05-21-02, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

'Buffy' finale slays its loyal fans

By Robert Bianco, USA TODAY

Sarah Michelle Gellar stars in the haunting two-part season finale of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

UPN, tonight, 8 ET/PT ()

In its two-hour season finale, Buffy the Vampire Slayer finally delivers the kind of Buffy-at-its-best episode fans have hoped for all season, and seldom received. Evil is vanquished, charity and fidelity are rewarded, and the core characters are rebonded in ways that will surprise you, considering one of their own, Willow, was last seen skinning a man alive and incinerating his remains.

In thrilling fashion, tonight's back-to-back episodes provide a fitting, sometimes funny and sometimes shocking payoff to all the plots set up over the last few weeks: Willow's murderous descent into witchcraft; Xander's increasing sense of isolation, and Spike's enraged desire to return to his old self. You even get to see Buffy shake off her back-from-death depression — for good this time, I'm betting, though the show has teased us with that plot point before.

Yet while it's a fabulous finale, it doesn't completely make up for all the less-than-fabulous hours that came before. With the notable exception of the musical episode (a stunning hour that may finally earn creator Joss Whedon the Emmy recognition he has long deserved), it's been a disappointing and even dreary year for Buffy. There were bright spots here and there, but overall, this once dependably entertaining show became too grim for too long.

The show's decline in quality is in stark contrast to the rise of its spin-off, Angel, which had its best season yet. While Angel's stories were often even darker (a vampire father being set up to eat his baby, for one gruesome example) and its core characters were often equally at odds, the show was able to maintain an equilibrium Buffy lacked. On Angel, when one character was down, another was up. On Buffy, they all seemed to be in the dumps for long stretches at a time, as everything went wrong for everyone at once.

Still, even when Buffy fails, and this season does rank as a relative failure, it fails in interesting ways. Most long-running series stumble because the writers run out of ideas, or the producers or actors exhaust their energy and interest. It's clear Buffy suffered from Whedon's reduced involvement — and suffered more than the writers may have imagined from the absence of Anthony Stewart Head as Giles, who provided a needed adult voice. But essentially, Buffy faltered because it charted a seemingly viable artistic course that simply didn't work, or didn't work well enough to maintain fan interest.

Where in previous seasons Buffy and her friends had battled some big, outside evil, this season, the evil they had to conquer was inside themselves. From Buffy's ennui to Willow's addiction to witchcraft, these no-longer-teen characters discovered they were their own worst enemies.

As always, what the show was seeking was a metaphorical expression of real-world problems and emotions. Unfortunately, whatever the artistic intention, it's hard to sustain 22 weeks of character ennui without inducing the same in an audience. Indeed, one of the best scenes tonight comes when Buffy lists everything that's gone wrong in the gang's lives this season, and finally gets the appropriate reaction.

Happily for fans, tonight's finale doesn't just look back, it also looks ahead, laying the foundation for the season to come. I don't want to spoil any of the show's surprises (and few shows are better than Angel or Buffy at springing a last-second gasper on unsuspecting viewers). But I will tell you this: One of the last things Buffy says tonight to her sister, Dawn, is "it hasn't been OK, but it's going to be now. ... I want to see my friends happy again."
Old 05-21-02, 05:17 PM
Banned

Finally, an article that addresses whats gone wrong with the show over the whole course of the season and I couldnt have put it better myself.

It's the first article Ive seen addressing the problems and I hope Josh sees it and does some work next season.
Old 05-21-02, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting review. So it has a happy ending, but that might depend on how you define happy.

I liked the Dark Phoenix reference as that was an obvious influence. While Dawn is a pain to listen to, she does look pretty good, jeans are nice and tight.

Looks like I was right in my prediction that Willow would make her an unwilling accomplice.

Let me say that:
Spoiler:
If they kill Buffy AGAIN I will really think it stupid and repetitive. Buffy might be immortal, but you can only kill her so many times.
Old 05-21-02, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While I hate to root for the bad guy, I LOVED Willow's reference to Dawn's whining. Darth Rosenberg?
Old 05-21-02, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

GO GILES!!!! I'm suddenly having
Spoiler:
Yoda vs. Dooku
(don't read if you haven't seen Star Wars Ep. 2) flashbacks!

Last edited by Static Cling; 05-21-02 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-21-02, 07:59 PM
Banned

Oh my god!!!

Giles! That came outta nowhere! Sweet!
Old 05-21-02, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All I can say is....damn commercial breaks!!!
Old 05-21-02, 08:54 PM
Banned

Incredible Finale!

...But, did any of us NOT know that was gonna happen to Spike?
Old 05-21-02, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Xander saves the day!!!!! Finally, a time for him to shine.

IMO, this episode proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that both Sarah Michelle Gellar and Alysson Hannigan are two of the best young actresses out there right now. The fact that they cannot get emmy nominations is a travesty.

As for Spike...well... I hope he doesn't wind up with his own series. Should be interesting though!
Old 05-21-02, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dfrazier
Incredible Finale!

...But, did any of us NOT know that was gonna happen to Spike?

Saw that one a MILE away! Even though I have to admit...for a second there
Spoiler:
right at the end when he was lieing on the floor... I thought he may be next years Big Bad. But only for a second!

WOW!!!! Great episode! Dark Willow's comments to Dawn were priceless (even though I like Dawn and have nothing against her, I am sure the comments pleased many a person here). Everyone was at the top of their game. Can't wait to see the Buffy of olde next season!

Sam
Old 05-21-02, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can someone PLEASE tell me what went on in the finale? For some reason the WB and UPN are out while the other cable channels are ok. So I am missing Buffy and boy am I pissed!
Old 05-21-02, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved this episode!!!
I loved seeing Buffy and Dark Willow kicking each others asses at the Magic Box! Best fight all season.
I am glad they ended it the way they did. I didn't want Dark Willow to be the 'Big Bad' next season. As it stands, the only human she killed was Warren, who deserved it, but she is still going to have to deal with the fact that she killed him. If she had killed anyone else, I don't think there would have been any turning back for her, especially if she had killed Giles.
Old 05-21-02, 10:01 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
All I can say is....damn commercial breaks!!!
Yeah, well just be glad that they made the two episodes into one. Otherwise, we'd have to wait a week after the moment that Giles made his boy-I'm-glad-I-didn't-read-any-spoilers entrance.

Dawn-- getting all Slayer-y.
Old 05-21-02, 10:07 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by RaraFemina
human she killed was Warren, who deserved it, but she is still
What about "evil magic dude". Wasn't he human?
Old 05-21-02, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

More like a series finale...

It was more like a series finale than a season finale. Good episode.

However - More commercials that ever before.

I liked it a lot.
Old 05-21-02, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That was F-ing incredible Television. I am stunned at not only the resolution, but the setup for next season.

I knew Xander would be the one to bring Willow back. They kept harping on Xander's being the non-powered scoob and he was just good for getting hurt. Well, once again, the power of love at the right moment overcomes the evil forces that try to rule one's soul.

Next season will feature Buffy and Dawn as slayer and slayerette. I kept thinking Dawn will be manifest powers due to her humble origin as being a ball of energy. It's only a matter of time before Dawn will be able to harness that power.

Giles wasn't going to be killed if he's going to the Watcher show for the BBC, now was he? But seeing him was great. The whole catching up and having Giles laughing at the absurdity of this past season was a gut buster (amidst the chaos).

That Spike fought to get his soul back was also a good development for Spike, especially if he truly loves Buffy. Now he's basically removed that major impediment between him and Buffy.

Great Sarah Mclachlan song to end the season with, I believe it was on her Rarities CD, "Prayer of St. Francis".

Pure speculation for Season 7:

Whether Buffy will take him back remains to be seen, and whether Spike's soul is subjected to any sort of "Angel Clause" of unlimited bliss. I don't think Buffy will believe that Spike has become William for the good part of next season. And Dawn will not be in Spike's corner knowing that he attempted to rape her sister. It'll be an uphill battle. For some reason, I keep wondering if Spike doesn't turn into the Big Bad for Season 7 because he may never convince Buffy that he has a soul now and that it won't be until the end that he convinces her, but at a tragic moment (I really don't want the series to end like that, so if they return to the motif of "Love conquers all" there is still hope for Buffy and Spike).

Last edited by Patman; 05-22-02 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-21-02, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My damn vcr stopped recording when Giles came in. Can anyone tell me where I can download the last half of the finale? Thanks so much in advance. I don't know if this is allowed. But, I am desperate. I am going crazy wanting to see the end of it. Thanks again..

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.