Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Twin Peaks: Worth my time or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-02, 02:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twin Peaks: Worth my time or not?

I just watched the HK disc of the pilot episode of Twin Peaks and loved it very dearly -- now I know I have to see the rest. The question is -- is it worth it? I mean, I don't want to get into it just to find out the rest of it is crap.
Old 05-16-02, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you liked the pilot, then yes, it is definatly worth your time.
I didn't watch the show when it was originally aired, but a friend of mine let me borrow her VHS (yuck) boxed set, and I loved it!! I also have The Diary of Laura Palmer, which is an interesting companion book.
Old 05-16-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes the series is worth your time, but do not watch Fire Walk With Me until you have seen the second season (which is not available on DVD yet) first. There are elements in FWWM that will spoil the second season.
Old 05-16-02, 02:30 PM

All I have is a crappy taped-off-bravo version of the second season, so I'm just waiting for the fall for those new dvds. My advice; just wait until the fall to watch them, the dvd versions are much better.
Old 05-16-02, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not only is it worth your time to watch the series once, but it is worth your time to watch the series multiple times over. Ten plus years after it's aired, fans are still dissecting the pieces of this show and are still fascinated by it.
Old 05-17-02, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

this is the greatest television show that ever was.
I very much think it is worth your time, especially if you do not know the show's central mystery (it became a part of pop culture, so many people know it without really having seen it), and if you liked the pilot, the show only gets better from there.......
every episode that Lynch directed himself is pure gold, and most of the others are too.....
the central mystery of the show only really serves and the impetus to start digging around in the town of Twin Peaks anyway.....so even if you know the answer to the mystery (well as much as the show gives you) there is still a lot to entertain and befuddle.....
Old 05-17-02, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this is the greatest television show that ever was.
This is a fact, not an opinion.
Old 05-17-02, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Agreed with the above. Not much I have seen compares to this show. Great television.
Old 05-17-02, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Let me indulge in a bit of 'me too'-ism here, and say that if you believe in the possibility of TV programming as Art, you owe it to yourself to watch all of this series.

It may have only lasted 2 seasons, but it is historically important creative work in the annals of TV, and has influenced countless hours of what you see today.
Old 05-17-02, 11:28 PM
Banned

Egads.

I suppose I should have expected such a burst of acclaimation, but it's still surprising to see that its unanimously considered the great American TV show. As someone who rarely watches television (the only show I ever religiously watched was Mystery Science Theater 3000), I never really caught on to the Twin Peaks groove and just filed it away as some pet project David Lynch collaborated on at some point in his career. Recently, however, interest has been sparked about the cult anomoly, which lead me to order the HK pilot episode and eventually watch it, and even though the A/V limitations of the disc itself were distracting, I still loved what I saw quite desperately. As of this writing, all of the mysteries of Twin Peaks are unknown to me, all its plot twists as surprising as they were intended, and the cherry pie, well, I can't wait to dig into it.

In other words, I just ordered the box set. Thanks peeps.
Old 05-18-02, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Chuckopolis
As of this writing, all of the mysteries of Twin Peaks are unknown to me, all its plot twists as surprising as they were intended, and the cherry pie, well, I can't wait to dig into it.

In other words, I just ordered the box set. Thanks peeps.
I envy you.
Old 05-18-02, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
This is my all time favorite TV series! It is soooo worth your time it's not even funny!

Be careful in not listening to the commentaries on the 1st season dvd set, as there are many spoilers talked about in the commentaries. It was like they thought that everyone who listened to the commentaries would have already seen the series back in the 90's, or on vhs already. See my thread on it:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=176667

Good choice!

-k
###
Old 05-18-02, 04:12 AM
Banned

This is one of the best shows EVER. Gotta love David Lynch, the man is simply brilliant.
Old 05-18-02, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's far better than 99% of the crap that's on TV today. When "Friends" is considered an elite program, you know today's TV is lacking....
Old 05-18-02, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JaxComet
It's far better than 99% of the crap that's on TV today. When "Friends" is considered an elite program, you know today's TV is lacking....
I don't think a Friends comparison is fair. I am not sure who considers that elite programming anyway. I'd compare Twin Peaks to either Buffy of X Files, as both of them probably exist on TV due to the doors Twin Peaks opened for television, but neither of those shows, even in their finest hours, cannot touch Twin Peaks with even a yard stick.
Old 05-18-02, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Chalk me up as another person so intrigued by this thread that he had to go out and buy the pilot on ebay.
Old 05-18-02, 08:24 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by calhoun07

I don't think a Friends comparison is fair. I am not sure who considers that elite programming anyway.

The new EW cover (is it available anywhere to post?) proclaims:
"10 Ways to fix TV. Oh, Baby! Take a tip from Friends"

Of course both the magazine and the show are owned by the same parent company....
Old 05-18-02, 09:50 PM

As someone who ordered the pilot and eventually the DVD set because of the posts on DVDtalk, I'd recommend anyone reading this thread who hasn't watched it to try out the pilot. I'm almost sure you'll love it. It is easily my favorite TV show of all time. The true test was showing my gf(who is a casual TV and movie watcher at best) the pilot. She was so hooked, we watched the whole series in a week. She still has cooper withdrawal from time to time.
Old 05-18-02, 09:58 PM

its a great show, i also caught it on bravo in marathon form.
good thing too cuz id have been scratching my head without seeing the episodes back to back like that.
Old 05-18-02, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are 2 seasons of this show, right? Are they both out on DVD?
Old 05-19-02, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by RandyC

I envy you.
me too. it was so f'ing cool to see and experience the show for the first time.
Old 05-19-02, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by huzefa
There are 2 seasons of this show, right? Are they both out on DVD?
i think i read that season 2 will be out later this year. 22 episodes, i think.
Old 05-19-02, 09:35 PM
Banned

Apparently I'm the only who thinks this show is crap. I bought the pilot and the first season dvd, watched them all.

I just think the show is terrible....slow paced, boring dialogue. Just not interesting.
Old 05-19-02, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here is my Twin Peaks story. The show came out when I was about 7. My mom watched it religiously, and she kept telling me how great it was. I caught a few episodes, but found it way too strange for me. (hey, i was still into Ninja Turtles and He-Man) Well, a few years ago I started getting into David lynch, and I began to recall some of the vague memories I had of Twin Peaks. I only had a few main images in my mind of what the show was like, but it was enough to intrigue me to read all about the series on the internet, and want to see all the episodes. Unfortunately, I wasn't going to spend the money for the VHS sets, and I wasn't into DVD yet (They weren't released yet anyway). I was also losing interest in David Lynch, and therefore losing interest in Twin Peaks.

Then the first set came out on DVD, I looked into it, and lost interest again. Then, only a few weeks ago, I rented Mulholland Dr. and my interest in Lynch sky-rocketed. I started reading all about Twin Peaks once again, and I decided to buy the pilot. I watched it with my mom (who was still very interested in the show), and she insisted that we buy the first season. So we did.

I now have only three more episodes to watch, and I am blown away. The writing, the story, the acting, the music - it's all simply amazing. Why don't they make TV this good anymore? This is by far the most intriguing, well-made TV show of all time. I have avoided all spoilers, and I am overwhelmed with the great sense of mystery that the show presents. Everybody who owns a DVD player should own this set (and the pilot). It's just amazing.

Last edited by caiman; 05-19-02 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-19-02, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The pilot and first season of Twin Peaks are simply amazing TV. I definitely group it with The Prisoner, The X-Files, Mystery Science Theater 3000 and maybe one or two other series as the best in TV history.

It also has the hottest group of women ever assembled in a cast IMO.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.