Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Did anyone watch Magic: Secrets Revealed?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-15-02, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did they make the big truck disapear?
Old 05-15-02, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i wanna know the secret to the block of ice trick.
Old 05-15-02, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess no one watched this show. I thought it was somewhat interesting, but that narrator is getting more and more lecherous with every show...

How they did the truck trick:

Guys hide in the bed of the truck. The curtain is hooked to the ceiling, while the truck is WELDED to the cage. So when the truck moves, the cage moves with it.

When the curtain drops, the guys ger out of the truck bed and move in position to move the cage, and a driver starts up the truck. The audience members are actually paid and in on the trick, so when the curtain moves up and the truck backs up behind the backdrop, the audience members in the back sneak out to let the truck pass.

The trick is only performed on television, since live audiences would be able to hear the truck starting up.

How they did the ice trick:

This one was simple - trap door in the bottom leading to a compartment with food and water, and a body double that switches every day. They use the dry ice to cover up the switches, and the heart monitor is faked by an assistant.
Old 05-16-02, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 555 Likes on 401 Posts
hmmm, i wanted to watch this, but I saw the promo like while I was watching my tivo recorded 24 episode from last night. by the time i could've changed the channel, it was like 50 minutes into it. damn, hopefully they'll re-air it!
Old 05-16-02, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The (new) masked magician strikes again. I love these shows....and the lovely magician assistants.

Guilty pleasures are allowed right.
Too bad I had to watch between commercial episodes of Ed.
Old 05-16-02, 12:48 AM

Who was the masked magician? Just some random person nobody has seen before?

I thought it looked like Teller, but he was taller...
Old 05-16-02, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love these shows! FOX had aired different episodes a year ago with a different masked magician who revealed his identity later on (It wasnt anyone I knew). Now they got a new masked magician. Yes, we all feel that the assistants are HOT, but we dont need the narrator to point that out every 5 minutes!
Old 05-16-02, 07:43 PM
omi

Yes, that was very annoying!
Old 05-16-02, 08:43 PM

If anyone taped this show, please let me know, my tivo for some reason failed to record. I would be willing to compensate. [email protected]
Old 05-16-02, 09:22 PM
Suspended Pending Valid Email

Originally posted by RolloTomasi
I guess no one watched this show. I thought it was somewhat interesting, but that narrator is getting more and more lecherous with every show...
"Here come the girls with their broomsticks... I wonder what they could do with a vacuum cleaner."

Ugh, it was terrible.
Old 05-16-02, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i rememeber david blaine doing his ice thing last year. when did he ever have an opportunity to switch out with the body double? were they doing the dry ice cover up with him too?
Old 05-21-02, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by monkeyboy
i rememeber david blaine doing his ice thing last year. when did he ever have an opportunity to switch out with the body double? were they doing the dry ice cover up with him too?
I was wondering about this, too. Does anyone have the Blaine-in-ice on tape (not that any of the switcheroos would likely have been shown)?
Old 12-08-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Anyone watch the episodes of the new show? They have shown 8 so far. Why they have to continue to use the lecherous voice overs I will never understand. Instead of having someone explain the tricks telling the history of the tricks and talking about the showmanship that goes into pulling them off they get this ahole to spit out crappy sexual innuendo for the whole show. Disgusting.

The other disgusting thing is the solution to the Cris Angel tricks. I have nothing but respect for great stage magic that requires elaborate setups, hours of practice and skill from the magician and assistant, but this Cris Angel big street magic if pure bullshit. He does this on the street in front of a crowd magic and the trick is simply the fact the entire crowd is in on the trick. It is the most basic solutions and the only illusion is the fact he got 50 people to pretend to be shocked bystanders. Freaking hack.

Most of the other stuff is very impressive. The Copperfield tricks I have always wanted to know the solutions to and seeing how they are pulled off I'm very impressed. Doesn't make up for rape island, but at least Copperfield isn't a complete hack. Also the close up tricks are cool even when you see how they are done. I had a friend that bought tons of stuff from magic shops to do this stuff. Very fun tricks.

Last edited by darkside; 12-08-08 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-08-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a season pass to this. it is on UPN (I think) on Tues or Wed night at 8-9.

I love this stuff - and like to try to figure it out.

I like the Mitch Pileggi voice over - the bad puns, sexual innuendos are what makes the show
Old 12-08-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Is this the one where the magician propped up the table with his "third leg."
Old 12-08-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
Is this the one where the magician propped up the table with his "third leg."
Yeah and where we are going to find out if its cold in there when she dips into the water. The Soup has had a field day with the innuendo guy.
Old 12-08-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,005 Likes on 730 Posts
I hope there's a DVD release of this, especially the first episodes back from '02 or whenever. I could kick myself for not taping them when I had the chance.
Old 12-08-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Is this the same Masked Magician from the 90s? Wasn't he unmasked?
Old 12-08-08, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside View Post
The other disgusting thing is the solution to the Cris Angel tricks. I have nothing but respect for great stage magic that requires elaborate setups, hours of practice and skill from the magician and assistant, but this Cris Angel big street magic if pure bullshit. He does this on the street in front of a crowd magic and the trick is simply the fact the entire crowd is in on the trick. It is the most basic solutions and the only illusion is the fact he got 50 people to pretend to be shocked bystanders. Freaking hack.
I have always found Cris Angel unwatchable. From a discussion a couple of years ago about his show Mindfreak I wrote, "I haven't seen anything from the new season, but watch some of the earlier shows and the plants and camera tricks and editing are embarrassingly obvious in many of his illusions. They are tantamount to making someone disappear by stopping the camera, moving the person, and restarting the camera. Oooh. Aaah. He would be more honest if he just called his illusions 'special effects.'"
Old 12-08-08, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
Is this the same Masked Magician from the 90s? Wasn't he unmasked?
Yeah it is Val Valentino. He even puts his name in the credits as producer. I guess they figure the masked magician persona is way more known that Val Valentino and stick with that. They may use a second guy as well, but it is hard to tell. Maybe Val is heavier now than he was on the Fox specials.

As far as Bill's comment on Angel I totally agree. My biggest problem is the fact he is puts this on the streets to try and sell it like he isn't staging things the same way as stage magic. In fact he is doing many times the staging. Anyone watching him levitate can see the crane above him and everyone in the pool knew how he walked on water. Instead of the magician planting one or two people in the audience now the whole audience is a plant. It is akin to you going to a theater to see a magician and everyone in the theater besides you is in on it. The entire city of Las Vegas must be part of the Angel magic team at this point.
Old 12-08-08, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,005 Likes on 730 Posts
Yeah, today's magicians don't even fucking try. It's all editing, plants, and camera tricks. Anyone could do the same shit with a webcam and put it on Youtube.

I remember watching a David Blaine special on TV where he'd walk up to a small group of people, do a cheap-assed dimestore magic trick, and one of the people he did it would just fucking flip out, start screaming and grabbing at the people around her. Obvious plant.
Old 12-09-08, 12:31 AM

Is this show still on MyNetworkTV? My DVR hasn't recorded the last two episodes.
Old 12-09-08, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 383 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside View Post
Anyone watch the episodes of the new show? They have shown 8 so far. Why they have to continue to use the lecherous voice overs I will never understand. Instead of having someone explain the tricks telling the history of the tricks and talking about the showmanship that goes into pulling them off they get this ahole to spit out crappy sexual innuendo for the whole show. Disgusting.

Most of the other stuff is very impressive. The Copperfield tricks I have always wanted to know the solutions to and seeing how they are pulled off I'm very impressed. Doesn't make up for rape island, but at least Copperfield isn't a complete hack. Also the close up tricks are cool even when you see how they are done. I had a friend that bought tons of stuff from magic shops to do this stuff. Very fun tricks.

6 years and 6 months. Hm...going for a record?

OT but David Copperfield took a girl to his private island, they have sex and she is calling it rape? I don't know the complete details but isn't this basically the story. Hello you went to his private island. Did you not understand what that implies?
Old 12-09-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Yeah, today's magicians don't even fucking try. It's all editing, plants, and camera tricks. Anyone could do the same shit with a webcam and put it on Youtube.

I remember watching a David Blaine special on TV where he'd walk up to a small group of people, do a cheap-assed dimestore magic trick, and one of the people he did it would just fucking flip out, start screaming and grabbing at the people around her. Obvious plant.
Whenever I watch one of these specials now, instead of trying to figure out the trick, I try to identify the plants.