DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   "Family Guy" DVDs (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/207127-family-guy-dvds.html)

mullivan 05-12-02 09:48 PM

"Family Guy" DVDs

(If a post like this is not allowed for whatever reason, I apologize in advance.)

I LOVE "Family Guy", but since it's been cancelled, I guess I'm SOL. I have found a few sellers on eBay who offer a 17 disk set of VCDs with every episode "commercial-free" in "full screen VCD-VHS quality." Before I plunk down $45 for the set, can anyone testify to the quality of such recordings? Also, can these disks be copied using a CD-R/W drive?

Thanks!

Goat3001 05-12-02 10:23 PM

I would go for it unless its illegal in some way. You get all the Family Guys and you don't have to go through the hassle of downloading them.

spainlinx0 05-12-02 10:51 PM

Be careful, I once ordered every episode of Newsradio and it wasn't complete. Some episodes were missing and the quality wasn't too great. So sometimes it's not worth the hassle, and yes this is illegal, so I'm sure this thread will soon be closed.

vdadlani219 05-13-02 04:06 AM

If anything, download them from Kazaa or any other p2p service. I downloaded about 30 of the episodes, and the quality is excellent on all except about 2-3. Not necessary to fork over $45 for them, when you can download them for free (assuming you have a decent connection...)

-Vik

wildcatlh 05-13-02 06:08 AM

Originally posted by vdadlani219
If anything, download them from Kazaa or any other p2p service. I downloaded about 30 of the episodes, and the quality is excellent on all except about 2-3. Not necessary to fork over $45 for them, when you can download them for free (assuming you have a decent connection...)

-Vik

Yeah, why obtain them legally, when you can get them for free!

Yunno, I've been needing a new DVD player. I think I'll just steal it from Best Buy. After all, it's not necessary to fork over $200, when I can just steal it for free!

Do what I did. Get a region-free player and the Season 1 2-disc set from the UK. The region free player is worth it just for Family Guy 1st Season and Futurama 1st Season...

Jason 05-13-02 09:07 AM

Originally posted by WildcatLH

But these are most likely bootlegs. Apart from the R2 Season 1 box set, I don't think there have been any legit releases anywhere.

At least with Kaaza, there's no slimy middle man making a profit from the bootlegging.

I'm thinking about getting a multiregion player too, but I'm sure as soon as I get one, the Family Guy and Futurama sets will be announced for Region 1.

mullivan 05-13-02 10:25 AM

1) Yes, they are bootlegs.

2) Yes, I think they are illegal too - but just as illegal as downloading them from some ftp site.

--------

But does anyone know if they can be copied using a CD-R/W drive? $45 is a lot, unless I can split it with a friend and make him a copy...

tygloalex 05-13-02 10:57 AM

www.vcdhelp.com and www.ahead.dk

vdadlani219 05-14-02 02:38 AM

Originally posted by WildcatLH

So if put the episodes on VCD's and sold them on eBay, it would be legal?

kneijst1 05-15-02 02:17 PM

no!!!! These are ILLEGAL. Period. Whoever made a VCD and is selling them on ebay is making money off of the Family Guy creators w/o them getting a dime. The only problem is these episodes are not or at least haven't been released yet on DVD, so we can't pay our dues to the creators(yet). For now, I do agree with the comment about Kazaa. If you download from that with the intention of purchasing the episodes later on, I see nothing wrong with that. But that is IMHO only.

Sorry bout the rant, but I just think it is really disrespectful(and illegal) to be selling the VCDs on Ebay.

steve_c_n 05-16-02 12:02 AM

Just to re-assure that these sets are illegal, but for people like me, that is OK :)

I am on a 56k modem and have little hope for high speed connections in my area. The good thing was, I was on a T3 when I was at school so I filled one of my 80 gig drives with TV episodes galore...I have my share of Family Guy, Futurama, Simpsons, Stargate, 24, Jeremiah and Smallville.

Given that I can get the Stargate's on DVD now, I will wait for the R1 DVD releases. It doesnt bother me as much with the R2 Futurama and Family Guy DVDs because I do use TV-out for them, and I don't see any chance of them coming to America anytime soon....atleast until WildcatLH gets his region-free DVD player :)

Dead 05-16-02 09:41 AM

Originally posted by mullivan
1) Yes, they are bootlegs.

2) Yes, I think they are illegal too - but just as illegal as downloading them from some ftp site.

3) Obtaining illegal items should not be discussed on the forums at DVD Talk.