DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   24 5/7/02 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/205839-24-5-7-02-a.html)

Rypro 525 05-07-02 07:53 PM

24 5/7/02

post predictions, comments, questions, ect about tonights episode. Use spoilers when giving any plot points.

Just a reminder... AFTER a show has aired, there's no reason to use spoilers (unless talking about upcoming shows, including promos for the upcoming shows). The show's already aired, so there's nothing to spoil. And if you're timeshifting, recognize that the show has already aired, and don't come in here unless you want to run the risk of getting spoiled. Any questions, read the stickie on top of the forum... any more questions after that, drop me an e-mail. Thanks! :) -- Static

huzefa 05-07-02 09:47 PM

Another good show. Lady Macbeth really came into her own this episode; was she seriously suggesting what I think she was suggesting? If she was, WHY?! Dennis Hopper is cool, he just shoots everybody! His accent is growing on me now.

TK-421 05-07-02 09:56 PM

Well.. it will finally happen..
Spoiler:
We'll find out next episode who the other mole is.. Tony, Nina, George.. or my suspect, this Dana character introduced at the beginning of the episode.. she's expendable since she has 10 seconds of total airtime

Other than that, I don't understand what motivation Sherry has for inducing her husband to cheat.. maybe to hold against him to keep him in office? Dunno... Another great episode, can't believe there are only 2 left.

AJW 05-07-02 10:29 PM

Other than that, I don't understand what motivation Sherry has for inducing her husband to cheat.. maybe to hold against him to keep him in office? Dunno... Another great episode, can't believe there are only 2 left.

Well that was about the only interesting part of tonight's episode for me. I did get the impression she wouldn't mind if her husband cheated on her...as long as she had maybe videotape/photo evidence of it to hold over him.

Gee with everything that has gone on in real life politics, one would think a male politician would make sure they were never alone with a femaile that wasn't his wife. Guess not.

Geofferson 05-07-02 11:16 PM

Didn't care much for this episode. I am looking forward to the season finale in a couple weeks though. Rumor has it that 3 endings were filmed and no one knows which one will be used. -eek-

Duckie 05-07-02 11:21 PM

Well... she's clearly plotting something and not merely interested in his need for 'entertainment.' I agree, she's the only interesting element left. It's as if I'd be better off watching Dynasty reruns.

anyways... it's been fairly anti-climactic for me. The last good episode imo was the literal car-over-the-cliffhanger. I think they dropped the ball plotwise with the sudden relevance of the war-crime mission and character motivation in general became fuzzy at that point. Hopper is terrible and should be embarassed among the otherwise truly top-notch ensemble.

I feel like a sucker compelled to watch til the end because I've gone this far, even though I don't really care anymore about the characters (I especially want Kim to at least break a nail or something). The networks most cherished type of viewer I suppose. It had so many brilliant moments early on, and the cast deserves more... but it's no wonder it got cancelled.

vent vent vent

PacMan2006 05-08-02 12:11 AM

It didn't get cancelled. Supposedly, there's a "90%" chance it'll return next season.

Rogue588 05-08-02 12:41 AM

They LIED! Those B*stards. Just goes to show that you can't trust what you read in TV Guide.

And to think of the mini drama on the other thread over potential spoilage... :)

Patman 05-08-02 06:17 AM

Lady MacPalmer is one evil woman. Getting Patty to come on to Palmer is just sleazy. Seems like she's trying to get the upper hand on Palmer by entrapping him in a moment of weakness/infidelity so she can ride roughshod over him once they are in the White House. Marital Blackmail is thy middle name.

Obviously there is a big ol' mole in CTU for them to acquire Kim so easily at the end of last episode and beginning of this episode. Who can the mole be? It would really suck if it turned out to be Tony, but I really don't know who else it could be (Nina just doesn't make sense, and Mason is too obvious, so he's out).

Hee hee hee, they should have laced Alexis's blood with some radioactive isotope like they did on Alias with Sark to track him, rather than plant the bug on him hospital wrist band (better yet, stick the bug up his butt - now that would have been a comical revelation).

Victor is one ol' meanie, killing that attractive daughter just to put Jack's insurrection down. How do you deal with creeps like Victor? You put them down like the inhuman creatures they are. Can't wait for that to happen.

Palmer is still in danger, I see Victor trying to get off one more shot on Palmer before he leaves the country (how he thinks he's getting on a plane, I have no idea).

Poor Terri, you'd think she was a mushroom with the way CTU tries keeping her in the dark.

rfduncan 05-08-02 06:34 AM

Originally posted by Duckie
Well... she's clearly plotting something and not merely interested in his need for 'entertainment.' I agree, she's the only interesting element left.
Sadly, yes. And I'm actually growing tired of her "controlling scowl" that she turns aside to shot to Palmer - [Lady Palmer hiss]"JUST DO IT!!"[/Lady Palmer hiss] She obviously is looking for another blackmail angle. I'm willing to bet she had something to do with the entire Feragammo-thing AND perhaps the first assassin (seem to recall here checking on the phone with someone in the first episode). I do not expect her to live til the end. Palmer's financial backers can bump her off and guarantee him the sympathy vote come election time and get him in the White House.

What WAS that discussion Palmer had with Mason? I can promise you you'll skip 5 years of middle management if you tak this risk... um, you need to get elected first buddy. That was lame.

anyways... it's been fairly anti-climactic for me. The last good episode imo was the literal car-over-the-cliffhanger. I think they dropped the ball plotwise with the sudden relevance of the war-crime mission and character motivation in general became fuzzy at that point.
AGREED! It was like the writers suddenly realized that they needed to actually WRAP UP the once great plotlines? HELLO?!?!

Hopper is terrible and should be embarassed among the otherwise truly top-notch ensemble.
Truly! What is he doing up there? Any second-rate character actor in L.A. could have put on a more convincing accent and performance. He seems to be merely phoning it in - making his appearance on the show nothing more than cheap "stunt casting" like sitcoms do (Mike Douglas and Glenn Close on Will & Grace or Alec Baldwin on Friends anyone?) during sweeps. Truly disappointing.

I feel like a sucker compelled to watch til the end because I've gone this far, even though I don't really care anymore about the characters (I especially want Kim to at least break a nail or something). The networks most cherished type of viewer I suppose. It had so many brilliant moments early on, and the cast deserves more...
Me too - I'd have been happy if they had resolved everything last night and spent the last two hours cleaning up the dammage and straightening out everything that has happened since the beginning (de-brief EVERYONE). After tonight, I'm beginning to wonder if they're not going to try to drag the lame-ass "action" out until the end (not that Terri sitting alone in a room at CTU for the next three hours isn't RIVETTING). I want the who-what-where-when answered from the first half of the show (when cool stuff was still happening) like why Jack's old boss told him there was only one mole at CTU and it WASN'T Jamie.

Hey - I guess I'm a true FOX sucker this season as I'll continue to hold out hope for the last two episodes of this show and WILL watch - just as I'm doing with The X-Files. BUT, I'm telling you it doesn't look good for either of them in the redemption department. :(

das Monkey 05-08-02 07:00 AM

Watched it with some friends, and we had a good laugh. Not much to say that hasn't already been said. I like how Terri has free reign of CTU to bother everyone. It was a great moment when Mason told her to f off.

das

Dr. Rosenrosen 05-08-02 08:27 AM

Xander Berkeley is a god among men. Did you catch the sidelong glance he gave one of the Alexis-recoverers? I still don't think he's the mole.

Show was bad. The introduction of CTU Dana was nonsense-- where was she for the past 21 hours, doing her hair?

And can we play the "Exactly what accent does Dennis Hopper have" game? I'm going with "Hybrid of Boris and Natasha from Rocky and Bullwinkle, but with a speech impediment".

nemein 05-08-02 08:45 AM

Originally posted by PacMan2006
It didn't get cancelled. Supposedly, there's a "90%" chance it'll return next season.
I hope not, atleast not w/ the same characters. If they do it they need to come up w/ a whole new story line and group of people IMHO. Unfortunately though I have a feeling it won't equal the first. Some things are just better left alone.

WRT who's the mole in CTU game, I still think it's Mason. So far everything he's done has really benefitted the terrorists more than anyone else. His hands seem to be conviently "tied" at times. Of course that might be the obvious choice and therefore wrong ;)

huzefa 05-08-02 09:02 AM

All you people bad mouthing the show, why the hell do you even watch then? Personally I think the show's been great from day one.

das Monkey 05-08-02 09:21 AM

Originally posted by huzefa
All you people bad mouthing the show, why the hell do you even watch then? Personally I think the show's been great from day one.
No offense, but this mentality annoys me. If the show sucked all the time, I wouldn't watch. If the show returns for another season, I probably won't watch. But I'm not going to ditch a show just because it has a few stupid episodes. It started average, got real good, then slowly got stupid after they renewed it for the full season. I'm not going to stop watching just because of those one or two bad episodes. Actually, right now, it's more like five or six bad episodes, but I've invested 22 hours of my life watching this show. I may as well see how it ends. And I'm not going to silence my opinion just because it happens to be negative. Positive praise is meaningless without criticism.

das

Patman 05-08-02 10:32 AM

The actress playing Dana was formerly on "Pasadena" as the secretary doing the one of the son of the newspaper owner. I hope doesn't turn out to be the mole either, though she's easy on the eyes.

Professor Frink 05-08-02 11:52 AM

I do not expect her to live til the end. Palmer's financial backers can bump her off and guarantee him the sympathy vote come election time and get him in the White House.
I've been thinking for weeks now that she'll be dead by midnight. But instead of the backers doing it, I think she'll die "valiantly". I mean, pretty much everyone here must think that there'll be one more attempt on Palmer. I think that if/when that happens, Lady MacPalmer will bravely take a bullet for her husband. That way her death pretty much guarantees him the White House, which will make her death have some "meaning".

weargle 05-08-02 01:26 PM

Have any of you surfed around Fox's 24 website? ( http://www.fox.com/24/ ) I saw a lot of references to chess, especially in Kimberly's section; these reference this site: http://www.princeton.edu/%7Ejedwards/cif/chess.html , which has the strategy

Five Steps to Victory

1. Identify the weakness
2. Fix the weakness
3. Attack the weakness with your pieces
4. Your opponent will be forced to defend the weakness
5. Then, AND ONLY THEN, attack the weakness with a pawn
So, who would be the pawn at this point in the story?

Rypro 525 05-08-02 07:41 PM

Spoiler:
is milo jamie's partner or nina's partner? I think he is the mole inside ctu.

huzefa 05-08-02 09:50 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey

No offense, but this mentality annoys me. If the show sucked all the time, I wouldn't watch. If the show returns for another season, I probably won't watch. But I'm not going to ditch a show just because it has a few stupid episodes. It started average, got real good, then slowly got stupid after they renewed it for the full season. I'm not going to stop watching just because of those one or two bad episodes. Actually, right now, it's more like five or six bad episodes, but I've invested 22 hours of my life watching this show. I may as well see how it ends. And I'm not going to silence my opinion just because it happens to be negative. Positive praise is meaningless without criticism.

das

I'm not offended, I just find it weird that people would spend so much time badmouthing the show. It's not as if anything we say is going to change the plot of the show. And some people do make it sound like they've wasted the whole hour and they could have done something better with it.

Ethan Edwards 05-09-02 07:38 AM

Dang. Who is the mole? Everytime I think I know, I remember a reason why it can't be them. Nina can't because she has done to many things that would fly in the face of her being a villain. And Tony--He shot Drazen's brother 2 weeks ago.

It could be Milo, but my bet is on that Chapelle a**hole. And Mason--I hated this guy a month ago, and now I think he is hilarious. Is that him as the villain in Shanghai Noon?

I like how they clearly made Hopper a monster--though they did borrow that scene right out of Usual Suspects.

My bet is that the producers and writers didn't know who the villain was going to be either, until the night before they shot the episode.

rfduncan 05-09-02 09:18 AM

Originally posted by Ethan Edwards
Dang. Who is the mole? Everytime I think I know, I remember a reason why it can't be them. Nina can't because she has done to many things that would fly in the face of her being a villain.
The only reason I can think it WAS her but is no longer is b/c they tried to make Jack kill her, intending to clean their tracks (erasing leads to Jamey and getting rid of Nina too). But Nina got pissed by this attempt and turned on the Drazen faction without exposing herself as the other mole - of course after the first half of the show ends and Alexis Drazen takes over and thinks he's wiped out Gaines and his entire crew, so Nina now has no connection or allegiance to them.

And Tony--He shot Drazen's brother 2 weeks ago.
Agreed - Tony was a red-herring, exhonerated by Terri's rescue. Still, was her doctor friend in on it? He disappeared...

It could be Milo
Unlikely, he was called in to crack codes and hack (basically called in to REPLACE Jamey) after Jamey was suspected as the mole. Milo was the tiniest character who was constantly misled and duped (remember Jack having to sneakily swap the access card Milo was trying to decode?).

but my bet is on that Chapelle a**hole. And Mason--I hated this guy a month ago, and now I think he is hilarious.
Could be. I may be giving the writers too much credit, but I think that is too obvious. *I* think it is Jack's boss, Richard Walsh. We never saw him "get picked up" by CTU. Why did he need to meet Jack in that odd location where snipers were waiting? Why did he tell Jack that Jamey was the only person in CTU he could trust - when Jamey WAS THE MOLE?!?! I think Walsh isn't dead, and he's the one.

The FOX promo for next week (which I only overheard from another room) was:
Spoiler:
...and you won't believe who has been betraying Jack the entire time!

My bet is that the producers and writers didn't know who the villain was going to be either, until the night before they shot the episode.
See - if they EVER want anyone to watch this show again (i.e. watch another season), I would think that they at least had a decent payoff from word one. (I'm hoping anyway. :))

Rypro 525 05-09-02 09:26 AM

who is somebody that nobody would expect to be the mole.

Spoiler:
i think it is nina
but i could be wrong.

PacMan2006 05-09-02 11:42 AM

For any fans of the show, Kiefer Sutherland/Jack Bauer will be on Jay Leno's 'Tonight Show' (May, 9th, 2002).

das Monkey 05-09-02 11:47 AM

Originally posted by PacMan2006
For any fans of the show, Kiefer Sutherland/Jack Bauer will be on Jay Leno's 'Tonight Show' (May, 9th, 2002).
Beware. Sutherland has been a little loose with his spoilers before.

das