Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

ER (4/25) & Third Watch (4/29) TWO-PART CROSSOVER

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-02, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ER (4/25) "BROTHERS & SISTERS"
DR. LEWIS RACES TO NEW YORK TO SAVE NIECE AND SISTER IN TWO-PART CROSSOVER WITH NBC'S 'THIRD WATCH' -- Dr. Lewis (Sherry Stringfield) is frightened when she receives a traumatic call for help from her 6-year-old niece in New York and she rushes East to search for the child and her trouble-prone sister (guest star Kathleen Wilhoite, "Pay It Forward"), where she enlists the aid of Officers Yokas (Molly Price) and Bosco (Jason Wiles) from NBC's Peabody Award-winning "Third Watch" to comb the mean streets. Elsewhere: Dr. Corday (Alex Kingston) fears the worst when she is phoned by Dr. Greene's teenaged daughter in Hawaii where the pair are vacationing; arrogant newcomer Dr. Pratt (Mekhi Phifer) causes havoc and clashes with the staff when he tries a dangerous unauthorized procedure on a dying patient; Dr. Carter (Noah Wyle) chastises Dr. Kovac (Goran Visnjic) for allowing Abby (Maura Tierney) to slip back into using alcohol as a crutch, and Dr. Weaver (Laura Innes) contends with a crushed couple who can't decide if they want to disconnect their brain-dead son's life support. Paul McCrane, Ming-Na and Sharif Atkins also star.

THIRD WATCH (4/29) "UNLEASHED"
Spoiler:
"ER's" SHERRY STRINGFIELD GUEST-STARS AS DR. LEWIS CONTINUES SEARCH FOR NIECE IN CROSSOVER CONCLUSION -- Concluding a crossover story begun on "ER" (April 25), Dr. Susan Lewis (Sherry Stringfield, "ER") is aided in her search for her missing 6-year-old niece by Officers Yokas (Molly Price) and Bosco (Jason Wiles) whose heroic investigative efforts lead them to witnesses who claim the child was taken by a "man in uniform" -- and the dragnet focuses on her absent stepfather who's also a New Jersey cop. Meanwhile, Sully's (Skipp Sudduth) footloose wife Tatiana (guest star Savannah Haske) magically reappears and firefighter Doherty (Eddie Cibrian) even enjoys mundane household chores if it means sharing them with his young son Joey (Kristopher Scott Fiedel). Anthony Ruivivar, Coby Bell, Michael Beach, Kim Raver and Amy Carlson also star.
Old 04-25-02, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This was a great episode I found, but unlike what your spoiler says they let the kid die fairly easily.

I did find that they throw a bit much at us for one episode though, it was like trying to tell 4 stories at once.

Anyone else notice that the whole Third Watch gang seems terribly rude, blunt and are just plain nasty with the girl? I mean wow, in Third Watch you say 'Yeah, it's their job', but when you look at it this way, they are a nasty bunch.

Thats about all... except anyone else find that Sherry Stringfield is pretty damned hot? She looks like an attractive woman not trying to be attractive like in all the other shows where the good looking women always dress skanky or try to be 'all that'.
Old 04-25-02, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Where are those spoilers coming from Feneant?? The third watch Ep, or the ER ep. I guess you get ER an hour early in Canada cause it's only 9 EST right now??

Last edited by ClarkKentKY; 04-25-02 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-25-02, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I HATE that Third Watch guy. What a loser. I never watched Third Watch but this completely turns me off to it. I also hate the new docter. Mekhi Phifer is making a character I want out of the ER asap.

And, was that Nancy Stafford (who played Michelle Thomas on Matlock) as that kid's mother with the bald husband?
Old 04-25-02, 10:06 PM

Not a very good episode in my opinion. I never liked third watch so i'm not very happy about this crossover.
Old 04-25-02, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by Eternia
I HATE that Third Watch guy. What a loser. I never watched Third Watch but this completely turns me off to it.
I had the same thought while watching this. If they wanted to introduce the people who watch ER to the show Third Watch you would think they've have picked a more enjoyable character to use.

The only other time I've watched third watch I thought the acting was awful (worse than a high school acting class) and the plot/rescues were obvious and contrived. If they're lucky and if I can figure out the VCRs, I may fit 3rd Watch into my schedule after Ally and Angel this monday.
Old 04-25-02, 11:26 PM

Was this supposed to make us want to watch Third Watch??

It was alright, I think Carter should have mentioned Malucci to Pratt--not Gallant though.

And are there supposed to be 'fireworks' coming between Abby and Carter or what??? I'm confused.
Old 04-26-02, 02:27 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Originally posted by Eternia

And, was that Nancy Stafford (who played Michelle Thomas on Matlock) as that kid's mother with the bald husband?
yep
Old 04-26-02, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mots2
Was this supposed to make us want to watch Third Watch??

It was alright, I think Carter should have mentioned Malucci to Pratt--not Gallant though.

And are there supposed to be 'fireworks' coming between Abby and Carter or what??? I'm confused.
I wonder if Carter's comment to Gallant was race-motivated. It looked like Carter was grouping the black doctors into a category and didn't see any distinction between them. Which is why Gallant said that he should be talking to Pratt, not him.

Matt
Old 04-26-02, 07:19 AM
Cool New Member

What about Romano saying "lesbian" about 5 times to Carrie at the beginning of the show. I just about lost my dinner laughing so hard. Romano makes the show for me.

And Pratt is annoying the hell out of me already. Let me check my notes before I crack open some guys chest.
Old 04-26-02, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Episode recap:

Abby's drinking is finally catching up to Carter, who is justifiably worried, though Luka doesn't see the big deal, and prefers to let people live their lives. Abby returns to her old apartment, Luka is installing more deadbolts on the door, and Carter drops by with flowers and a homecoming gift. Carter's not too pleased with seeing Luka there in Abby's apartment, nor the fact that she's drinking an alcoholic drink. Carter storms out of the apartment.

Carter and Luka almost get into a fight as Carter pushes Luka's button, asking if Luka's going to beat him up like he did Abby's attacker for caring about Abby's alcoholism problem. Later after confronting Abby about her drinking (she thinks she can handle alcohol now), Carter gets to make his point when a drunk who t-boned someone else's car shows up in the ER and Carter, Luka, and Abby work on saving the guy, much to Carter's displeasure. The drunk doesn't make it. Abby tell Carter that she doesn't want Carter's help in her recent return in drinking because it's complicated between them (she alluded to her and Carter as an "us" and Carter wants to know if there is an "us" and Abby just sloughs it off for now). Later in the evening in her apartment, Abby hears a loud noise, is awakened, and then has trouble falling back to sleep, looks at a half opened bottle of beer, and is content to just watch TV for the rest of the night. Maybe Carter has made his point.

Carter is riding Pratt hard, and Pratt is content to be a maverick ER doc in the mode of Malucci. When a gunshot victim goes into cardiac arrest, Pratt decides to crack open his chest, while Gallant, also in the room, is wanting to get Carter, but there is no time and the patient could die while he looked for Carter, so Gallant becomes an unwilling participant to Pratt's almost reckless bedside manner. Pratt had to check his notes while he was cracking open the patient's chest (now that was funny stuff). Carter admonished Gallant, but Gallant stands up for himself and tells Carter not to confuse him with Pratt. Luckily for Pratt, the patient survived after being cleaned up by the surgeons in the OR, Carter still rides him hard for not waiting for him in the doc's locker room as he requested.

While talented, Pratt is going to either learn to respect Carter (who is now the attending physician of the ER - did they announce this formally on the show?) or Pratt is going to be shown the door after a tragic misjudgment on his part in trying to save a future patient. Pratt is chasing Dr. Chen, offering mac-n-cheese for a romantic dinner to be punctuated by an evening of sex. Pratt is definitely not the slow-n-easy kind of guy. Chen rebuffs all of his advances, for now.

While the all of the ER med cases were serious, most of the cases were played for dark humor laughs.

Romano wants to start treating lesbians because they have a higher incidence of all forms of cancer (he spews out a list of the reasons) and wants Weaver to head the program. Weaver doesn't want to be the token lesbian and is adversed to the nomination. Weaver almost gets "healed" by some guy offering to heal people through his Christianity (that was funny when she confronts him and he puts his hand on Weaver's forehead and she's like WTF?), finally after telling 3 different people to boot the guy, she finally gets him out of the ER.

Corday gets a gentle reminder of her upcoming fate when she presents the parents of the boy with the choice to pull the plug on him because he fell out of a tree and had severe brain and spine injuries and was only kept alive on the respirator. Upon entering the OR, Corday gets an urgent call from Rachel (her and Mark are in Hawaii so Mark can show Rachel where he grew up) and Mark has taken a turn for the worse, and might not be able to fly back from Hawaii, so Corday must fly out to him.

Susan gets to cross over with "Third Watch" when she gets a phone message from her 6 year old niece, Susie (I think), saying that her mom (Susan's sister Chloe) won't wake up. Susan tracks her down in New York City, meets up with Bosco and his partner from Third Watch, and enjoys a leisurely afternoon of watching NY's finest shake down a few folks to find some leads on Chloe's whereabouts. They find their where to a drug hotel, find Susie's stuffed bear in a room, but it's vacated. Later in the evening the cops find Chloe in a bad section of town, but no sign of Susie. Chloe is in bad drugged out shape, on the ride to the hospital, she requires being shocked, and Susan keeps telling the medic to tube her. Chloe does make it, but she has no idea where Susie is (though she suspect Susie to be with her husband).
To be continued on Third Watch this coming Monday at 9 p.m. EST.

If they find Susie in time, I'm thinking Susan will sue for custody for Susie (make the case that Chloe is unfit to take care of Susie).
Old 04-26-02, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Carter seemed to go way over the line when he was talking to Luka about Abbey's drinking problem. Of course, it also seems strange that Abbey will just jump right back into alcoholism after 6 years of being sober. But that scene at the end, in her apartment, she seemed lonely.

Poor Corday

Dr. Chen's really got some jungle fever . Wasn't her last boyfriend/lover African American as well?
Old 04-26-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Chen (Ming-Na) was also in "One Night Stand" where she also had jungle fever (though she was married to the Wesley Snipes character).
Old 04-26-02, 11:02 AM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by tofubomb
Carter seemed to go way over the line when he was talking to Luka about Abbey's drinking problem.
I don't think it was too harsh when you consider what he went through with his drug problem. Don't forget that it was Abbey that turned Carter in when she caught him shooting up. He owes her. Even if she doesn't want help, she needs it.
Old 04-26-02, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Carter's looking out for Abby the same way she did for him. He knows what it's like to get back into the habit of addiction, and he's doing what he thinks is the best for her, and being a true friend. Unfortunately, tact has never been Carter's strong suit, and he so does have feeling for Abby that he gets sidetracked much too easily than someone who's more platonically inclined.
Old 04-26-02, 11:54 AM

Carter (who is now the attending physician of the ER - did they announce this formally on the show?)
I think he's Chief Resident, not an attending. I seem to recall that when Romano was giving Carter static about what Pratt & Gallant had done, he said something like "Aren't you Chief Resident? Then start acting like it!"
Old 04-26-02, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So what's the pecking order in the ER? I get all of these titles confused...
Old 04-26-02, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Romano (ER) + Bosco (Third Watch) = 2 SMART ASSES
I'm sorry but those are my favorite characters from those 2 shows.
Old 04-26-02, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm liking Pratt less and less. It was great when Romano got a hold of him, "Who are you and why are you talking to me?" I'd definitely like to see Rocket take another piece out of him soon.

Honk!
Old 04-26-02, 02:34 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by MvRojo

I wonder if Carter's comment to Gallant was race-motivated. It looked like Carter was grouping the black doctors into a category and didn't see any distinction between them. Which is why Gallant said that he should be talking to Pratt, not him.
I didn't read it as Carter grouping the black doctors into a category so much as Carter grouping the students who performed an unauthorized procedure together into a category. My big fear was that Gallant would bond with Pratt over the incident. I'm glad to see Gallant distancing himself from Pratt.

In the spirit of that distancing, my wife and I have nicknamed Pratt "Goofus." Mekhi Phifer's a great actor, but man, do I hate his character.
Old 04-26-02, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by Patman
So what's the pecking order in the ER? I get all of these titles confused...
Ok.. here we go.. we'll start from the top.

Romano - Chief of Staff - The grand master.. in charge of the whole hospital.

Weaver - Chief of ER - In charge of ER and all it doctors, answers to Romano.

Lewis, Kovac, Chen - Attendings - Senior doctors, answer to Weaver. Supervise traumas and guide students, can do any procedures unsupervised.

Carter - Chief Resident - In charge of all the Residents, also answers to Weaver. Can do most procedures without an attending present.

Pratt - Resident - Finished med school, now learning the finer points of medicine. Reports to Carter. Must be supervised at all times (as show with last night's epsiode).

Galant - Med student - The bottom of the barrel. Learning procedures, techniques, etc. Gets to do the fun stuff like changing bedpans and taking samples to labs. In his last year of med school he'll go through the match process, which will tell him which Hospital he'll get to be a resident at.

Hope this helps..
Old 04-26-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I usually tune in to Third Watch as well as ER and I didn't last night's episode was all that bad.

I am disappointed however that they are making the whole premise now that one kid is missing.

BFD. I mean, how many missing kids are there in NYC continuously.
Now they are going to mount this massive police/fire search and rescue effort over this one kid.

They could have come up with a more compelling reason to do a show merge. IMHO
Old 04-26-02, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ick. Kind of a throw away episode for me. I don't watch all that much TV so the crossover portion was pretty much a waste. I didn't like any of the characters involved in that subplot.

Chen gives me the super hot. I want her mac'n'cheese.
Old 04-26-02, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
that new guy from the VA thinks he's billy bad ass because he has "stylish" safety glasses
Old 04-26-02, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

To answer, we get ER at 7eastern here.

Also, I loved this cross over since Third Watch and ER are basically the only 2 shows I watch on weekdays other than Law and Order. I didnt even know about the cross over to start, I was surprised and happy to see the 3rd Watch folks over in the ER show.

I wonder though, how many of ER will be on Third Watch Monday?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.